Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 06:13 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theorange View Post
In the Democratic primary (Thursday the 13th -- tomorrow!), why would anyone who cares about the subway not vote for Cynthia Nixon?

Cuomo. Hates. The. Subway.

That's why it's gotten so dramatically worse in the last 10 years.

The governor controls the MTA, and he's let it go to the dogs. He takes money out of its budget to fund random pet projects, and he hasn't fought hard for congestion pricing. He doesn't use the subway and doesn't care about it.

On this issue alone, any normal New Yorker should vote in someone who actually uses and cares about the subway.
The thing is: does Cynthia Nixon really USE the subway?
She is a famous actress! I'm sure she is loaded. Doesn't she have enough money to simply take taxis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 06:23 AM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
This is the point. If the state wants to hand the MTA over to the city, fine. But give the city power to set congestion pricing, increase taxes, and keep all that money.

But Cuomo wants to have his cake and eat it too: take all the power and none of the blame.
Obviously you are forgetting (or are ignorant of the fact) that the city handed over NYCTA to the state because it *CANNOT AFFORD TO RUN" that agency.

Even with all your pie in the sky sources of revenue (congestion pricing, toll revenue, etc....) the city would face extraordinary fiscal pressures in attempting not only to fund day to day operations of NYCTA, but the vast sums needed for maintenance, and investments in infrastructure.

The MTA can borrow unlimited funds (in theory) and has done so in order to largely finance the major capital plans for subway, bridges and other parts of NYCTA system. NYC OTOH does *NOT* have that authority. Any borrowing over a certain amount must be approved by voters (good luck with that).

Just who do you think is going to pay for the rest of Second Avenue subway if NYS bails and hands over the subways to city?

MTA borrowed hundreds of billions to pay for everything from capital plans to the SAS that benefit NYC. Do you think they are going to continue making those (substantial) interest payments for something they no longer "own"? While their name is on the papers which means legally they must; you can bet Albany and elsewhere will tell the city to "give unto Caesar what belongs to Caesar". Or to put it another way "give me my money".

I recall NYC transit system of the 1970's before MTA takeover, it was SHYT. The city (again) couldn't run things any better than the private companies, and everything was falling apart. All the East River crossings were in various states of literally falling apart. Nets had to be put under some or all bridges to keep bits from falling below and causing harm to people and or property. Trains had to crawl over those bridges because they couldn't withstand forces generated at speed.

Last edited by BugsyPal; 09-13-2018 at 06:47 AM..

Old 09-13-2018, 06:36 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,575,584 times
Can’t say it any better! Lol

Old 09-13-2018, 07:18 AM

14 posts, read 6,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
She is a famous actress! I'm sure she is loaded. Doesn't she have enough money to simply take taxis?
She actually does use it every day.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:24 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
As of this morning, I am still torn.
I like both candidates but see problems with Cuomo fully controlling the MTA, as he does, yet blaming De Blasio for the MTA's problems. Cuomo gets high marks for his strength as a left of center politician.
I like Nixon's strong progressive beliefs but fear her political inexperience and worry that she would be eaten alive by the conservative politiicians in Albany.

Personally, I give Cuomo points for getting me my subway station a month or several earlier by sheer force of his political will.

Sean Patrick Maloney is my clear choice for NY Attorney General. He is a staunch progressive openly gay man who DESPISES Donald Trump, as do I, and I trust would be a great aid in prosecuting his henchmen.
After all, it is only State crimes that are out of the realm of presidential pardon and the State that His Orangeness likely committed the most of his tax frauds in is New York.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:24 AM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Mike Bloomberg has way more money than Cynthia Nixon, and he uses NYC subway system.

Fact is plenty of persons from well off to insanely wealthy (both famous and not so much) take the subway, especially during day time hours.

Quite frankly even with the delays and complaints the subways are still fastest way to get around Manhattan. Taking a taxi, Uber or whatever that involves driving is just asking for trouble thanks to traffic.

I can get from UES to City Hall in < 20 mins via the Q and R train (daytime). You'll never in our life make that trip during prime daytime M-F in same or less time.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:26 AM

1,183 posts, read 708,238 times
Quote:
In the Democratic primary (Thursday the 13th -- tomorrow!), why would anyone who cares about the subway not vote for Cynthia Nixon?

Cuomo. Hates. The. Subway.

That's why it's gotten so dramatically worse in the last 10 years.

The governor controls the MTA, and he's let it go to the dogs. He takes money out of its budget to fund random pet projects, and he hasn't fought hard for congestion pricing. He doesn't use the subway and doesn't care about it.

On this issue alone, any normal New Yorker should vote in someone who actually uses and cares about the subway.

Because on planet earth most people are not monomaniacally focused on a single issue - they will determine a candidate to vote for based on multiple factors.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:28 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,083,522 times
Let's read Animal Farm.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:40 AM

14 posts, read 6,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Obviously you are forgetting (or are ignorant of the fact) that the city handed over NYCTA to the state because it *CANNOT AFFORD TO RUN" that agency.
I thought the NYCT was handed over to the state in 1963 when the MTA was created. Then board members were divvied up between state, city, county, etc.

At this point the people who live and/or work in the city -- including all those commuters from LI and Westchester -- now constitute the majority of the state's revenue.

Quote:
Even with all your pie in the sky sources of revenue (congestion pricing, toll revenue, etc....) the city would face extraordinary fiscal pressures in attempting not only to fund day to day operations of NYCTA, but the vast sums needed for maintenance, and investments in infrastructure.

The MTA can borrow unlimited funds (in theory) and has done so in order to largely finance the major capital plans for subway, bridges and other parts of NYCTA system. NYC OTOH does *NOT* have that authority. Any borrowing over a certain amount must be approved by voters (good luck with that).
So keep the MTA structure and its debt authority, and hand all the board seats to the mayor and/or city council.

Quote:
Just who do you think is going to pay for the rest of Second Avenue subway if NYS bails and hands over the subways to city?

MTA borrowed hundreds of billions to pay for everything from capital plans to the SAS that benefit NYC. Do you think they are going to continue making those (substantial) interest payments for something they no longer "own"? While their name is on the papers which means legally they must; you can bet Albany and elsewhere will tell the city to "give unto Caesar what belongs to Caesar". Or to put it another way "give me my money".
The state should set aside money for debt incurred when the state controlled the MTA and then hand it over.

Quote:
I recall NYC transit system of the 1970's before MTA takeover, it was SHYT.
Again, the MTA was already in control in 1963. So it was **** under the MTA.

Quote:
The city (again) couldn't run things any better than the private companies, and everything was falling apart. All the East River crossings were in various states of literally falling apart. Nets had to be put under some or all bridges to keep bits from falling below and causing harm to people and or property. Trains had to crawl over those bridges because they couldn't withstand forces generated at speed.
And in the 80s, political will was generated to make the system vastly better. Billions were spent. It happened before, it can happen again.

Old 09-13-2018, 09:01 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
The gypsy Vans profited and continue to run these days because MTA never improved service.

Many folks would rather pay more to take a van than ride the subway. One of reasons for decreased ridership and that Uber is the same reason that if the government doesn't fix the problem the private sector will address it then it becomes a middle class tax burden to save the MTA with bailouts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: