Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 12:05 PM

178 posts, read 147,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Why do you need to vent? And why should other people listen to you more or less vomit on them, because you're pissed?

If you do have a day where you get home late, it's not my fault, nor can I do anything about it. And I don't just me personally. If I'm not a rep of the MTA or a NYC or a NYS politician, there isn't anything I can do about what you deem as bad service at the MTA.

That's why just complaining is whining, because you aren't taking your issue to those empowered to do something about it and you're not working to make a positive change.
Venting is not vomiting on people, it is letting off pressure, a concept that seems to have escaped you. The OP started this thread based on that concept. Complaining also lets others hear your voice and may help spark the creation of a group that will have a greater voice than an individual’s. Surely you can’t be advocating the notion that venting serves no purpose at all.

If you can’t tell the difference between complaining and whining, we probably can’t come to any sort of agreement. It makes me wonder why you bothered to read this thread and then comment on it. Aren’t you in effect complaining about this thread? Oh, sorry, I guess you’re just whining about it.😁
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2018, 02:35 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookboy View Post
Venting is not vomiting on people, it is letting off pressure, a concept that seems to have escaped you. The OP started this thread based on that concept. Complaining also lets others hear your voice and may help spark the creation of a group that will have a greater voice than an individual’s. Surely you can’t be advocating the notion that venting serves no purpose at all.

If you can’t tell the difference between complaining and whining, we probably can’t come to any sort of agreement. It makes me wonder why you bothered to read this thread and then comment on it. Aren’t you in effect complaining about this thread? Oh, sorry, I guess you’re just whining about it.😁
I'm insisting people actually take action. Complainers do not take action. If the MTA is so bad, figure out a way to change it.

Put people in office who will do something about it.

Because if you are not doing anything to change things, then yes venting is vomitting. It's opening your mouth with no intention of even trying to solve a problem.

Old 10-03-2018, 02:36 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
No its not... its healthy to talk about things that bother you or one day you will just snap and be one of those people to punch a random person on the train or push someone on the tracks
If someone feels like that, they should be talking to mental health professionals and not riding the subway at all. Complaining on message boards won't stop homicidal tendencies but perhaps the right prescriptions will.

Bad service does not justify violence, period.

Old 10-03-2018, 02:46 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,238,729 times
Quote:
If someone feels like that, they should be talking to mental health professionals and not riding the subway at all. Complaining on message boards won't stop homicidal tendencies but perhaps the right prescriptions will.

Bad service does not justify violence, period.
Dude what the h#ll is your issue, everyone of my threads you feel a need to start issues and make fake debates and argue points with me.
Seventh can we get this guy banned for trying to start arguments?

Old 10-03-2018, 06:15 PM

3,402 posts, read 3,577,158 times
Quote:
No its not... its healthy to talk about things that bother you or one day you will just snap and be one of those people to punch a random person on the train or push someone on the tracks
I agree is healthy to talk about issues that bother me, but this shouldn’t be that bad.

Old 10-03-2018, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
I agree is healthy to talk about issues that bother me, but this shouldn’t be that bad.
I should probably clear up I was using extreme examples of things I have seen/heard about that happen. I for one wouldn't do that and probably venting on this thread wouldn't stop someone from doing something as extreme as pushing someone if they wanted to. I just was pointing out its healthy to have an outlet to vent sometimes.

Old 10-03-2018, 08:37 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Dude what the h#ll is your issue, everyone of my threads you feel a need to start issues and make fake debates and argue points with me.
Seventh can we get this guy banned for trying to start arguments?
Not that serious, you guys can handle it urselves

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-03-2018, 11:58 PM

178 posts, read 147,792 times
Quote:
I'm insisting people actually take action. Complainers do not take action. If the MTA is so bad, figure out a way to change it.

Put people in office who will do something about it.

Because if you are not doing anything to change things, then yes venting is vomitting. It's opening your mouth with no intention of even trying to solve a problem.
I feel obligated to point out that you are making statements that you imply to be factual, but they are simply your opinion, and an uninformed opinion at that.

For example, “Complainers do not take action.” How do you know that? I think your presumption is entirely incorrect. It seems to me that complaining is often the first step in taking action. This thread is a perfect example. Neither you nor I know what action(s) might result from this thread.

You say “Because if you are not doing anything to change things, then yes venting is vomitting.” Where did you ever come up with the absurd idea that venting is “vomiting”?

You say “If the MTA is so bad, figure out a way to change it.” This thread IS a first step in trying to change things. It is a collection of thoughts, views and experiences of many who have become unhappy with the transit system in NYC.

And how do you know that I (or anyone else) am not taking any action? And how do you leap to the conclusion that venting is “...opening your mouth with no intention of even trying to solve a problem...”?

What if I am trying to change things in accordance with your views? What if I am writing my state and federal representatives, if I am trying to get a new governor elected, if I am trying to get the entire MTA board replaced? Is my venting then still “vomiting”? Or is venting just never allowed?

This thread may not be your preferred method of trying to get things changed, so take your own advice. Go write letters and start petitions and become politically active. But quit telling the rest of us that we aren’t measuring up to your lofty standards.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookboy View Post

This thread may not be your preferred method of trying to get things changed, so take your own advice. Go write letters and start petitions and become politically active. But quit telling the rest of us that we aren’t measuring up to your lofty standards.
Bravo Brookboy!

Old 10-04-2018, 07:00 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Do not complain about the MTA. Go out and FIX the MTA. Attend meetings with MTA, NYC, and NYS officials. Vote. If something happens that you need to legitimately complain about, write the MTA, write the city, write the governor.

But do not WHINE.

And be grateful NYC has a MTA. Most of the country does not have mass transit and either you drive or you're screwed. People who have the convenience of NYC (and the Northeast in general) don't know how lucky they are compared to most Americans. Be grateful and appreciative for what you have.
I did my part. I said "hello" to the head of the MTA while at a conference in Albany yesterday and shook his hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City