Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2018, 11:09 AM

15 posts, read 9,501 times

Advertisements

Three weeks ago, I toured a studio apartment, located near the edge of Bushwick facing either Broadway Triangle and Williamsburg, that's about 15-20 minutes away to my job in Lower Manhattan via Subway.

From there, I expressed further interest in the apartment after thorough thought and submitted an application. Just days after the tour, they request a few more documents from me after initially showing most that I have on the day of the interview the previous week. As you saw in the title, management told me just days prior that the process would be over the following week (which is this past week) and I believed that I would get the final word on Thursday or Friday but unfortunately, I didn't get any at all. This waiting for the past two weeks is driving me insane! I understand that the process takes about 2-3 days but after that, I should be getting word in a timely manner.

I'm planning to contact them this coming Monday in the early afternoon hours if I don't hear from them that morning so I put together things to say correctly and if I miss anything, let me know plus some helpful suggestions.

After the usual greetings:
I have questions about this process; in most cases, applications would take at 48-72 hours to be processed. Does your management endures the same timeframe?

If they do or don't:
Last week, the application process as said would be over. I thought by Thursday or Friday that I would get the final answer but I haven't received none at all. I assumed that things were still probably being finalized or so. How far is it to being over? I am still interested in the apartment.

If they say within this week:
If necessary, is there anyway or anything needed from me? I can give you a cover letter, credit score, anything bonus from me.

[/i]

Furthermore, I mentioned above that after they saw the documents I bring in the interview, they requested me to send a few more earlier this week. My boss told me after telling him this that "the more they ask or request, chances of you getting the place is likely". My mother said the same thing and I'm really hoping that it's true but I shouldn't be getting my hopes up to the max.

Since Wednesday, I am currently applying to other places. It's sad that I am still living where I am right now and I do not like it at all. Five years there and it's getting old. I'm trying to be positive but this waiting and suspense is making me holding out hope. I want to be happy and I deserve to be happy. I should be doing that now instead of where I am right now. Sorry if I'm ranting but you have no idea how bad I want out.

Anyway, as I said, suggestions and advice are welcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2018, 10:37 PM

3,144 posts, read 2,735,240 times
I understand it's frustrating, but there are no real rules as to how rapidly a landlord decides. You can call them up to check, but try not to sound aggrieved. You're doing the right thing by applying elsewhere. Keep your options open. For all you know, they already rented to the place to someone else and didn't feel like taking the trouble to call you.

Old 10-14-2018, 09:19 AM

Me and management were on the same page since day one and I barely gave them the benefit of the doubt. Last week should've been the end but I had to endure it another week and now the same thing's happening tomorrow. I even have this disturbing feeling that they might screw me over, especially at a very crucial time for me. I neglected to mention that my income is good for that rent.

As I'm writing this, I already spoke to an agent who is having a single room occupancy available near Herb Von King Park. I let him know of this and he understood. The size of the room could be the same as the room I'm currently in. I believe the rent is the same as the one I'm waiting to hear back from and should've gotten by now.

BTW, there were four people including myself on the day of the viewing.

Old 10-14-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
For all you know, they already rented to the place to someone else and didn't feel like taking the trouble to call you.
I hope not. Last I talked to them after giving them more they request, they begun the process. Who knows if I'm the only one left there.

Old 10-14-2018, 10:32 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,887,225 times
As with anything else, don't put all your eggs in the same basket.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:21 AM

!!!UPDATE TIME!!!

So just this past Monday, I tried contacting them and I got no answer. I did leave them an email. I am still looking for back-up place-wise and so far, no luck despite tour a room in Bed-Stuy but the place and its landlords looks shady. Good thing I decided not to take the place after thorough thought at home. Still, I felt totally letdown due to the unusual wait.

Now just moments ago as I'm writing this, she finally got back to me via email letting me know that my file is going through the approval process and it is under review. So this new development is at least good because I am still in it. However I'm not sure if this is a runaround even though the last time I contacted her last week wasn't like that at all.

Hopefully this week it'd be the end of it on a positive note.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: