Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2019, 08:53 AM

2 posts, read 657 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
I was summoned for Grand Jury in Manhattan but actually, live in Queens. I receive mail at a former Manhattan address and my former roommate told me it had come, so I decided to take it and show up in person for this summons. I ended up at 100 Centre Street this week and early on the clerk had asked if anyone did not live in NYC, so I raised my hand and was sent to a small room. He had advised me to send/email two documents proving my Queens residency, so I went home and mailed some utility bills, my lease and tax forms to the suggested address. I did not have my summons stamped or signed in any way that said I showed up, and the clerk just collected it and told me I was done for the day.

Now that my paperwork for change of address has been sent, what is the probability that I will receive a Queens Grand Jury summons within the next week or month? Is it automatic, where if you can't serve for Manhattan you're immediately scheduled for Grand Jury in the actual borough you live in once your paperwork is situate- there is a record of the dismissal and it automatically gets you into the pool for the appropriate location, like some kind of list? Or is it really random and there is no telling whether or not a person who was dismissed will immediately be called back?

I know Grand Jury is completely different than Petit with this.

Beyond this concern, I am the manager of a very small business and the possibility of missing several weeks of work is something that would cause an extreme financial and professional strain on my job and well, me. This would take an enormous toll on my business and unfortunately my ability to keep a roof over my head and pay for medical bills. Missing a few days is somewhat of a stress but manageable, but having it exceed that would be nothing short of a nightmare. And I know Grand Jury is up to a month at least.

I know judges for Grand Jury want nothing to do with hearing your "excuses" and there is no interview selection where people can discuss hardship, but this is valid, legitimate hardship for me as a small business employee and human being trying to get by. For lack of better terms I will be up ****'s creek and have no idea how to handle this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 09:13 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,097,722 times
Now that my paperwork for change of address has been sent, what is the probability that I will receive a Queens Grand Jury summons within the next week or month?

You'll get one, [perhaps not that quick but It will come.

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 01-05-2019 at 12:24 PM..

Old 01-05-2019, 10:54 AM

4,776 posts, read 6,581,779 times
If you get called, you have to say that the financial hardship and the stress of serving will cause you to be prejudiced. You have to use the word biased or prejudiced. In my experience, that is the only way to get off. They cannot let you off for financial hardship alone.

That is what a lawyer told my partner recently. He just went through this (in Manhattan, not grand jury). He didn't want to say he would be prejudiced. But in the end he had to.

I would think that for grand jury, though, the people in charge would be more sympathetic. The time commitment is a lot to ask of anyone.

Old 01-05-2019, 10:59 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,097,722 times
Mention your belief in "jury nullification." That gets you off fast.
<I actually believe in it strongly.>

Old 01-05-2019, 12:50 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,141,966 times
Is this a federal grand jury?

One of the categories that can be exempted from service is below. If you are a person essential to the operation of the business, perhaps you can get out of it.

I hope I'm not giving you wrong info -- please look it up for yourself and don't rely just on this.

6.Actively practicing attorneys, physicians, dentists, registered nurses, police officers, firefighters, members of the clergy, or a person essential to the operation of a business, commercial or agricultural enterprise that would be closed if required to perform jury duty must submit proof of their profession or business ownership. Acceptable documentation may include but not limited to business license or certificate, corporation papers, or tax papers.

https://www.nyed.uscourts.gov/summons-information

Old 01-05-2019, 12:55 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,156,011 times
Just dont go! It's like a NYC jaywalker,never a ticket.

Old 01-05-2019, 04:51 PM

106,735 posts, read 108,937,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
If you get called, you have to say that the financial hardship and the stress of serving will cause you to be prejudiced. You have to use the word biased or prejudiced. In my experience, that is the only way to get off. They cannot let you off for financial hardship alone.

That is what a lawyer told my partner recently. He just went through this (in Manhattan, not grand jury). He didn't want to say he would be prejudiced. But in the end he had to.

I would think that for grand jury, though, the people in charge would be more sympathetic. The time commitment is a lot to ask of anyone.
I got called and no excuses were accepted at all by any of the court workers . You had to hang out until you got called and then tell it to the judge ... only they can aye or nay you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: