Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 08:47 AM

332 posts, read 1,627,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiableamy View Post
You should really do research. Type in "NYPD salary" in Google and this is the first thing that comes up:

Start receiving full pay and benefits from your first day of recruit training ($25,100 per annum). Upon the completion of the Police Academy (six months), your annual salary increases to $32,700. Salaries will continue to increase every year and upon completion of 5½ years of service, base salary will increase to $59,588. In addition to these base salaries, there is overtime earning, holiday pay, night differential and uniform allowance.

When including base salary, average overtime and night shift differential, holiday pay, and uniform allowance, a Police Officer earns over $35,000, on average, in the first year; $45,000, on average, in the second year; $77,000, on average, after 6 years.

Yeah. It's not that bad. Not to mention retirement at 42 if you started at 22, with $72,000 a year until you die, full health benefits and a Annuity Fund and Deferred Compensation Plan, 401K and I.R.A.

AND, unless things have changed since I lived in NYC, there's no residency requirement, so you don't "have to" live in the "world's most expensive city" as the OP commented . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 09:01 AM

151 posts, read 526,341 times
No one has answered my question -- if I'm really wrong, if cops can make a good living, then educate me. No one has still explained to me how the OT issue works, since everyone seems to cite that as to how cops can make their living after their laughable base pay.

To basically double the amount of money you make (25 to 45k), even at time-and-a-half, it would seem to me they'd have to work another 3 days a week. So seriously, don't just flame: explain. How does the OT system work for cops, exactly?

Old 04-09-2008, 09:18 AM

1,696 posts, read 8,883,390 times
For the majority of police officers there is a 35 hour a month overtime cap. There are some units that can go over that by 5-10 hours. The department doesn't just let you work overtime at your will. You have to volunteer to work parades, demonstrations or you can try to maximize the OT by making arrests. It is not as simple as it sounds but it can be done. I don't know where the 90 hours of overtime came in? BTW, who in the world would want to work 90 hrs of OT in a month! Especially when it is not sitting in a cubicle playing on a computer all day... you are usually out on your feet or if you are lucky, you will be a in a marked police car answer 911 calls & dealing with the worst of what society has to offer. But hey, they could have been a dishwasher instead.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:19 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,010,402 times
Hamza we have been explaining the salary, the benefits, and the realities of total compensation for police officers...and why the police department is an EXCELLENT choice for MANY blue collar, working class, inner city public school educated kids. It provides excellent salary and benefits to those who otherwise would have little to no options to earn that kind of money, stability, security, lifetime retirement income, and a decent life for themselves and their families.

Feel free to EDUCATE YOURSELF on the intricacies of the O/T system...I believe is has been addressed in other threads as well. From what I can tell, adn the amount of information we have ALREADY provided to you, you will always believe the hype/Union lies that cops' salaries are horrendous, they live in extreme poverty, they deserve everything..and the are the true victims of our society.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:32 AM

1,696 posts, read 8,883,390 times
with $72,000 a year until you die

Since the pension is based on 50% of your salary (either the best 3 years average or your last years salary as long as you do not increase it by 20% of the previous year) an officer would have to earn $144,000 for the final year. I can promise you that there are very few, if any, rank & file police officers that made that type of money. That figure is more in line with a second or third tier supervisor pension.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:55 AM

2,742 posts, read 7,502,503 times
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
After 20 years of service, a retired Police Officer will receive:
  • Estimated earnings of $50,783 per year, comprised of 50 % of salary, longevity, night shift differential, overtime and an annual $12,000 payment from a Variable Supplement Fund.
50,789 + 12,000= 62,789

- A retired Police Officer could receive approximately $1.9 million when retired assuming a life expectancy of 80 years. This figure is based on the age of appointment of 22 and the age of retirement of 42.

- The dollar amount of $1.9 million is estimated on 2005 salaries and is not adjusted for inflation or for future raises.

- This dollar amount will be higher for uniformed members that retire above the rank of Police Officer.
  • Full health benefits
  • Annuity Fund and Deferred Compensation Plan, 401K and I.R.A.

— The amount of total compensation from these funds depends on the market value of the portfolio that the officer has chosen while active and varies depending on the amount voluntarily contributed by the individual officer.
62,789 + 401K + IRA + SS= a lot more 72,000. 72,000 was way to low.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:58 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,010,402 times
Thank you CJM! Let the truth set you free!

Old 04-09-2008, 10:51 AM

2,742 posts, read 7,502,503 times
Let me tell you. If I only had a GED or High School, the NYPD sound really good to me.
I know people with BS/BA in NYC that are making 70,000 after 5 years of work.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:01 AM

257 posts, read 1,336,786 times
I am almost certain there is a residency requirement, but I think it allows you to be from NYC, Long Island, Westchester or Rockland (just not Jersey).

My brother is NYPD and he only struggled money-wise while he was in the academy. They have incredible benefits that most people don't even consider, including a ridiculous amount of vacation time and a transit pass.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:04 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,274,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
Let me tell you. If I only had a GED or High School, the NYPD sound really good to me.
I know people with BS/BA in NYC that are making 70,000 after 5 years of work.
You need to have some college creds to be NYPD.

$70,000 on a BS/BA in NYC is excellent these days. You need a graduate degree now if you want upper 5 figures or 6 figures. Most private sector fields are not paying that well unless you have a grad degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City