Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 11:12 AM

2,742 posts, read 7,497,172 times

Advertisements

You are right.. BS/BA these days is not alot.
But is not the case always, if you have a BA in accounting and you are a CPA you will break 100k without the masters or PhD.
I have a friend in NJ he is an accountant for the feds (IRS), he is in the 6 figures, 110K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 11:14 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,254,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
You are right.. BS/BA these days is not alot.
But is not the case always, if you have a BA in accounting and you are a CPA you will break 100k without the masters or PhD.
I have a friend in NJ he is an accountant for the feds (IRS), he is in the 6 figures, 110K.
Yeah I know there are always exceptions. But still CPA cert is almost like a grad degree in a way.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:19 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,005,700 times
Good comments..what other profession will provide you the solid salary, O/T, massive benefits, job security, stability, and all the other perks all with an AA from a crappy community college! The cops are doing just fine..and the reality is they are the ones laughing all the way to the back while the Union bosses and media are doing a great job at suckering the public and getting them even more money.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:55 AM

1,696 posts, read 8,878,225 times
Quote:
62,789 + 401K + IRA + SS= a lot more 72,000. 72,000 was way to low.
But CJMA, the 401K is also the IRA that they are referring to... one in the same. And the money from the 401K is money that is deducted from your own salary. The city does not contribute or match any funds. Just about anyone who has a job these days can open a 401K and many of the corporations will match funds or contribute. This is not perk for cops since it is their own savings.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:56 AM

It is a tax deferred retirement account which IS a perk....it is one of the MANY retirement benefits that they receive.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:16 PM

151 posts, read 525,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Hamza we have been explaining the salary, the benefits, and the realities of total compensation for police officers...and why the police department is an EXCELLENT choice for MANY blue collar, working class, inner city public school educated kids. It provides excellent salary and benefits to those who otherwise would have little to no options to earn that kind of money, stability, security, lifetime retirement income, and a decent life for themselves and their families.

Feel free to EDUCATE YOURSELF on the intricacies of the O/T system...I believe is has been addressed in other threads as well. From what I can tell, adn the amount of information we have ALREADY provided to you, you will always believe the hype/Union lies that cops' salaries are horrendous, they live in extreme poverty, they deserve everything..and the are the true victims of our society.
Huh? What's with the rambling about unions, etc.?

All I'm asking is for you to explain your answer. You're defeating your own arguments because you're not giving me any proof or evidence.

You've said the NYPD cops get "great benefits and OT" so it's "alot more than $25k", but you don't explain how the OT works. There's got to be some formula you're using to say that they can double their salary via OT.

Lets break it down:

The standard work-week is 40 hours. In order to make $25k a year, the cop would have to make a little over $13 an hour.

In order to make $45k a year, the cop would have to make a little over $23 an hour.

OT (time and a half) pay for a cop making $13 an hour would be $19.50. In order to make up the $20,000 difference between his $25k (standard) salary and $45k (with OT salary) he'd have to work a total of about 1,026 OT hours a year. Broken down into 12 months, and 4 weeks a month, that equals an additional 21 hours a week.

So, in order to bring in $45k a year, before tax that is, that cop would need to work 61 hour weeks.

So is that it then? Most cops work 61 hour work weeks? Seriously -- point out where I'm wrong. I'm not stubborn here, if I'm wrong -- if you can show me that I'm incorrect -- then by goodness I'll re-evaluate my opinions.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:18 PM

Another poster has already listed starting salaries with and without O/T....the information is in this thread..just do the math.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:29 PM

151 posts, read 525,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Another poster has already listed starting salaries with and without O/T....the information is in this thread..just do the math.
Ahhah... so $35k versus $45k the first year makes much more sense. OK so it's a little better than bad. $25k base and $35k after over-time.

Instead of $25k you're making $35k, before taxes, basically by working another whole day a week. After taxes, never-the-less, that seems pretty raw for policing the largest and most expensive city in the country. Just responding to the person who mentioned the residency requirement, there's really nowhere around NYC except for small-town Jersey (or home!) that you can afford reasonable housing earning $35k (again, before taxes). It's still a little less raw than $25k.

The problem as I see it is not recruiting. People will always want to be cops. My issue is that paying them $35k after overtime means that the only people who will sign up to be cops are people who couldn't do literally anything else that would pay them better, or who want to be cops for the wrong reason -- like abusing power. Irregardless, it means the quality of the "thin blue line" will seriously fray.

Edit: But thanks for all the responses and input, flames aside.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:35 PM

No your conclusions are completely wrong. What is the starting salary in this city for those with an AA? LESS than $35K...to say the least...and there are plenty of people living on that salary AND who have no hope of earning much more. Police Officers, on the other hand, also have low starting salaries, like most other similar private sectors porfessions, BUT they have a much higher salary increase within 5 years, PLUS they have LIFETIME MEDICAL for them and their families, a FAT lifetime pension, and a host of other benefits...NONE of which is available to most other people, let alone those with an AA.

Those that are choosing to be cops are those that know that they have the BEST earning potential and UNSURPASSED benefits for someone with an AA vs working in the private sector or just about any other non-Union job. It is an easy choice..and a lucrative one at that.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:28 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,497,172 times
Hamza...
I really dont understand... are you reading...
Here it goes (again):

Police Academy (first six months): $25,100 you are not working, you are studying, they are paying you for studying much like ROTC

Upon completion of six months: $32,700 Once you are out the academy (six months) your income is 32,700, without OT. Base pay for 40 hours.

Upon completion of 1 ½ years: $34,000 Your income with only 40 hours.

Upon completion of 2 ½ years: $38,000 Income with only 40 hours

Upon completion of 3 ½ years: $41,500 Income with only 40 hours

Upon completion of 4 ½ years: $44,100 Income with only 40 hours not bad for AA degree
Upon completion of 5 ½ years: $59,588 Income with only 40 hours again, not bad.

When including base salary, average overtime and night shift differential (If you work durring the night they pay more), holiday pay, and uniform allowance, a Police Officer earns over $35,000, on average, in the first year; (This is 2300 more, that is only a few hours extra only since OT is more pay, usually 2x base pay or 1.5X base pay.)

$45,000, on average, in the second year;

$77,000, on average, after 6 years (Better then a lot of people with BS/BA with only AA or 60 credits with a 2.0 GPA or 2 years of military)

And yes the 401k and IRA could be the same, but not always. You can have 401k and IRA.
but still how much is 62,789 + SS= ??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City