Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 10:25 AM

8,936 posts, read 4,771,340 times

Advertisements

Nearly 900 students were offered a place at Stuyvesant High School this week. Just seven of them were black. As the debate rages over whether the city should change the admissions policy to the eight specialized high schools that use an exam to determine who gets in and who doesn’t, NY1 has re-released a 25-minute documentary following five students last year who hoped to make the cut (Aniqa, Edgar, Gregory, Sarah and Isabella). Some get in, some don’t. Should the policy change?

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...f-MW-CVN4xDDvw

Eight graduates of the Bronx High School of Science have gone on to win Nobel Prizes. That's more than any other school in America.

At Stuyvesant High School, about one-quarter of the graduates attend Ivy League schools.

Stuyvesant and Bronx Science are two of the eight specialized high schools in the New York City school system that admit students based on one criteria: a test score.

The Specialized High School Admissions Test (SHSAT) determines who will get in the doors of these schools. Approximately 28,000 students take the test, but only 5,000 are admitted.

The schools have long been criticized for not reflecting the city’s overall racial makeup, with only 10 percent of acceptance letters going to black and Latino students...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2019, 12:53 PM

1,199 posts, read 725,761 times
A major reason for traditional minority kids being underrepresented at Stuy is largely due to programs like Prep 4 Prep which try to put kids into private schools.

Old 03-21-2019, 02:01 PM

1,486 posts, read 990,011 times
Ah i remember these tests back in my day. I didn't even have the chance to attend one of these schools and was forced to attend my zone school Morris. Now if anyone know about zone schools, their budget relates to the immediate area so if your zone school was surrounded by projects like mine was, best believe the education budget and quality wasn't the best.

I didn't let the low quality education i received dictate my future and turned out decent at how far i am in my career at my current age and managed to hit a 6 figure income before the age of 30 (Im nor longer currently at 6 figures due to a job change). Although attending those specialized schools do open the doors faster to better colleges and networking with contacts in certain social circles it seems one must buy their way in through a back door or side door as the majority of the students are white or asian.

The ability to get an Education shouldn't be placed behind a test it should be offered to who has the drive to want it.

Old 03-21-2019, 03:57 PM

37,156 posts, read 39,430,503 times
Anyone take a crack at the mock tests in recent years? Pretty fun! I wonder how well some of our fellow posters here would do on a timed test, no help basis.

Also, the fix is to have a smaller proportion of ****ty middle schools (this is where you are before you go to high school, right?), offer longer hours to students and school years through the standard curriculum or after school programs, and having way more high schools that are good or great.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 03-21-2019 at 04:12 PM..

Old 03-21-2019, 04:08 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,752,657 times
Nerds!!

Old 03-21-2019, 04:18 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,614,830 times
1) They need to expand the amount of magnet high schools.

2) This is simply an indictment of the NYC public school system and nothing else. Enough with everything being about "funding", you have kids from Kenya and Vietnam who went to school on dirt floors getting full rides to Harvard. Stuffing 30-40 kids to a class while the city hires thousands of "administrators" and consultants. Start fixing the schools down line and you wouldn't have such horrific racial skews.

Old 03-21-2019, 04:26 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,755,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post

2) This is simply an indictment of the NYC public school system and nothing else. Enough with everything being about "funding", you have kids from Kenya and Vietnam who went to school on dirt floors getting full rides to Harvard. Stuffing 30-40 kids to a class while the city hires thousands of "administrators" and consultants. Start fixing the schools down line and you wouldn't have such horrific racial skews.
The real culprits are the 0.1%. They want your kids to have to compete for the teachers attention. Their kids go to private schools and are fully attended to.
They also want your kids strapped with exorbitant amounts of college debt.

Old 03-21-2019, 04:27 PM

37,156 posts, read 39,430,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post

That stuffing of kids and then a bunch of administrators and consultants isn't just the NYC public high schools, but also NYS and NYC public colleges (the latter for private colleges as well). It's a real goddamn problem.

Old 03-21-2019, 06:34 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,614,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
The real culprits are the 0.1%. They want your kids to have to compete for the teachers attention. Their kids go to private schools and are fully attended to.
All the 0.1% want is to make sure their children are as secure in their position as they are. To be frank, anyone who calls themselves a parent with a straight face would want the same too. The rich don't sit around thinking of ways to pull you down.

Bloomberg had it right with charter schools. I'd go one step further and go full blown vouchers.

Old 03-21-2019, 06:41 PM

31,918 posts, read 26,999,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post

You don't know what you're talking about; nope not a clue.

Working to middle class and above parents focus on what is best for *their* kids; they aren't bothering with anyone else unless local schools or whatever are populated by such that it brings everything down.

Why you think so many Irish, Italian and others of European descent put their kids into Catholic schools? Sure the so called "one percent" or whatever can and often do put their children into private schools, but the reasons all pretty much are same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City