Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 01:12 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,139,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Well, I'm glad he was busted, but I didn't see anything in the article about the videographers helping to catch him.
I'm not sure why that would need to be in the article. It's common sense that a video of a crime taking place with a full-on frontal view of the perp shouting to the camera would be crucial in identifying him and tracking him down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2019, 01:16 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,139,928 times

Old 03-23-2019, 01:17 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,753,684 times
I could not click on that video so damm sad

Old 03-23-2019, 01:20 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,320,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Wimps. That's the problem. Society has broken down, no one cares about anyone else, and most people are wimpy sheep.

Animals like that need lead poisoning at 1100 feet per second, not Riker's Island.
It's a result of the Amazon era.

Old 03-23-2019, 01:25 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,753,407 times
Nothing good happens after 1am. Go home.

Old 03-23-2019, 01:48 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,361,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Instead of recording, take the damn cell phone and call the cops. No one has to get physically involved if you feel your life may be in danger. I think that's a very reasonable and decent thing to do rather than sit there and record and ZOOM in on someone being attacked for no reason.
Yes, but because they recorded it, they now have the proof and a good shot of what the suspect looks like so it would be easy to ID him. Now he's been arrested and it'll be easy to prosecute him. If no one recorded and just called the cops, since he ran off on the next stop like a little b*tch, he could've easily gotten away with it all together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
Its easy to be outraged at whats happening in the video but no one actually know what lead up to the assault. He didn't just decide to get up there and start kicking her as he does not look like a crazy person so something happened leading up to that point. I agree that it was a bit overboard to assault the elderly woman to that extent though.

When i see an altercation like this building up and im able to leave the area, i leave. im not going to stay and spectate, or anything because you never know who might pull a gun, as things can go from 0 to 100 fast.
I know I've had crazy people come out of no where and start screaming at me so I know that NOTHING has to lead up to the assault for it to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by propman-nyc View Post
I agree but at the same time honestly I would not have jumped those dudes. 1) we did not see the full altercation 2) those dudes likely had some kind of weapon 3) they were total losers with nothing to lose 4) I have stuff to lose 5) that old Harlem women should know way better than me or anybody riding the 2.

All I would have done is speak some cutting language at them and hold my own ground and likely move cars mid ride and it is not because I am scared as much as I know things just do not turn out well with dudes like that. The most I would do is stick around for a police report.

By the way I had an incident along the 2 after midnight when I required medical care (emergency situation) and not even MTA would help but we have seen it many times the MTA usually ignore whatever they can. Short of the police I am not jumping to rescue others.
On more than one occasion, I've been in the vicinity when people have called for help and it's always a wait for NYPD/FDNY/EMT to get there. Unless someone is RIGHT there, it takes awhile. Next thing you know, you're beat down. MTA won't do anything except call for the abovementioned either.

Old 03-23-2019, 02:01 PM

1,121 posts, read 591,958 times
When you fall or are seriously in need of help in NYC it is sort of our culture to ignore the person in need of help. Like it is a knee jerk reaction that we can not control.

The video with the lady getting assault is unfortunately no surprise. It is like a staple here. It happens every day like we eat Wheaties or Cheerios everyday. Notice how everyone just scrammed after the filming of her getting assaulted. Poof. You know, where did everybody go to ask the lady if she is okay?

You really do not fully understand NYC until you have been down for the count and watching everybody walk by ignoring you and not helping a fellow person. I'm not even talking about being a derelict you can be a well dress and perfectly well round individual and for some reason most people will not help. It is just the way it is in NYC.

But. If you need directions or just won a multi million dollar Power Ball, then everybody wants to be your best friend in the world.

Old 03-23-2019, 04:24 PM

34,066 posts, read 17,096,341 times
We need the Guardian Angels back, to "discuss" the behavior with the thug.

Old 03-23-2019, 05:47 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,605,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
Nothing good happens after 1am. Go home.
Wrong. Bad people are bad 24/7. Time has nothing to do with it. I've had some of the best moments of my life after 1AM.

Old 03-23-2019, 06:07 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,961,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Last year some psychopath started screaming at me on the train and another guy just left the train, leaving me alone with this dude. But I'm not a dainty chick so I was ready to slug him if I had to do so.

At the same time, I get it. How many times have you seen someone trying to defend someone else and the tables turn on them? My husband had a friend who saw a woman getting verbally abused by her boyfriend, he tried to intervene and the next thing you know, both the boyfriend and the girlfriend started attacking him together. Even easier if the fools have weapons.

A lot of people talk a big game but when the time comes, they don't do a damn thing either.
You should have left the train too. If the perp follows you then, get up to street, call the cops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
Last 3 times I stepped into some crap like this,I got arrested and asked questions later.

Nothing better than a vigilante beatdown, than giving some extra! I Just have to ask for the cameras to stop rolling.
LOLS, I remember when I a wee lad in elementary school, kids were fighting each other after school all the time. The HS and MS had the same problem. I think these kids were trying to train themselves for combat, and for eventuality as a adults they have to use their skills, for good or evil.

It was a way to look good in the eyes of the public. Girls find you attractive. I am sure this was common place in generations prior, and was considered a right of passage for boys to become men. But when I got to HS, or MS, this kind of stopped. No one was prepping themselves for combat out on the streets anymore.

So when incidents of old ladies being attacked on the streets, with no one coming to aid is because no one knows how to. No one has the confidence. Our society has changed like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Doesn't matter. She could have been a neo-nazi white supremacist $%^&. There is still no excuse for his behavior or the $@##$%^ who did nothing.
Perhaps she is was this man's landlord, and screwed him and his family over before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: