Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 07:39 AM

1 posts, read 10,430 times

Advertisements

My parents are moving back from NJ to Queens, where most of their relatives and friends are. However, the housing price in the majority of Queens is so expensive right now. We happen to see a lot of really nice houses in South Jamaica. They currently saw a couple really good ones on the east side of Baisley Pond Park. Our biggest concern is the crime rate in the area. Back then when we still live in Queens, which is like 3-4 years ago, we've always heard people talking about how bad the neighborhood is.

We've never actually been there so it's all rumors. I want to know if that area is actually that bad, with high crime rates and unsafe. And if there's a very high crime rate, why are the houses in the area look so nice?

Does anyone who's been there or lived there have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 10:14 AM

34,006 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmatter2019 View Post
My parents are moving back from NJ to Queens, where most of their relatives and friends are. However, the housing price in the majority of Queens is so expensive right now. We happen to see a lot of really nice houses in South Jamaica. They currently saw a couple really good ones on the east side of Baisley Pond Park. Our biggest concern is the crime rate in the area. Back then when we still live in Queens, which is like 3-4 years ago, we've always heard people talking about how bad the neighborhood is.

We've never actually been there so it's all rumors. I want to know if that area is actually that bad, with high crime rates and unsafe. And if there's a very high crime rate, why are the houses in the area look so nice?

Does anyone who's been there or lived there have any suggestions?
It's not about crime, its about the comfort level of your parents.

Read the NYPD stats for the 103rd Precinct on their website and then ask your parents if they wouldn't mind living around that.

As to your question about why do the houses look so nice, you can always find a nice-looking house in a bad neighborhood, just like how some people keep their apartments nicer than others.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-29-2019, 10:23 AM

1,199 posts, read 723,984 times
This is a traditionally middle class area that was geared toward minorities in the past although it has become more Asian and Latino recently. I don't think crime really happens here

Old 03-29-2019, 10:42 AM

8 posts, read 17,644 times
My sister lives in that area. The area is not immune to crime. Unfortunately, my sisters place has been burglarized before. But that was in the mid-00s.

Old 03-29-2019, 12:54 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,593,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsquirrel View Post
This is a traditionally middle class area that was geared toward minorities in the past although it has become more Asian and Latino recently. I don't think crime really happens here
South Jamaica has some of the highest crime in Queens

Old 03-31-2019, 10:42 AM

42 posts, read 48,421 times
I worked near Baisley Pond for a year. I didn't like it, so I sought a transfer.
Avoid buying there if you can. It's a pretty gloomy looking area. Or at least rent there first to see if you could actually want to own there.
If you need mass transit, its horrible. There is no train, so you'd have to take a bus. The buses are always insanely crowded and unreliable. Jamaica would be slightly better because at least you'd have access to E,FJ,Z and LIRR trains and shops. But other affordable areas to consider: Woodhaven North, Richmond Hill North, Ozone Park and Howard Beach.

Old 03-31-2019, 11:53 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,640,769 times
Safe if you’re street smart and constantly vigilant. If not, you aren’t safe nor would consider it safe.

Old 03-31-2019, 12:08 PM

325 posts, read 198,935 times
I grew up in that neighborhood , it’s definitley not as bad as the worst areas of Brooklyn , Bronx or Harlem but Jamaica/south Jamaica is the worst part of queens though for a fact . Parts Going west looks much more run down then the parts east of Baisley Pond but even though that area looks nicer is still has a element of drug addiction and gang activity . 113 precinct is very close by at Baisley Boulevard next to Rochdale Village but the 113th precinct crime rate is always the highest in queens and it’s the only queens neighborhood that land it in the 20 unsafest Nyc neigborhoods based on violent crime statistics

Check out this ranking couresty of dnainfo.com the lower the ranking/higher the number means the unsafer.

So Yea this shows Jamaica/ south Jamaica has highest violent crime rate in queens and makes the the top 20 highest violent crime rate for nyc in general so it’s pretty unsafe however you’ll be fine if you stick yourself and don’t mix in with the crowd . I also wonder why the houses look so nice too but for what it worth’s , west of linden blvd heading towards Jamaica Proper the houses starts to decline and look more rundown , it’s because Jamaica queens in general is pretty trash and run down not only south Jamaica .Jamaica avenue look and feel like poverty it’s horrible lmao . Literally the whole Sutphin blvd from Jamaica avenue going south to where it stops at Baisley park is terrible and ugly as can be . Directly East of Baisley , they try to brand as Springfield gardens , or Springfield gardens south probably because the houses are nicer . Many don’t consider it Springfield until you go north of farmers . But anyway don’t let the nice houses fool you , crime still happens however you won’t be in any harms way most of the time.

Last edited by Manhattan2queens; 03-31-2019 at 01:28 PM..

Old 01-07-2021, 01:04 AM

7 posts, read 26,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan2queens View Post
I grew up in that neighborhood , it’s definitley not as bad as the worst areas of Brooklyn , Bronx or Harlem but Jamaica/south Jamaica is the worst part of queens though for a fact . Parts Going west looks much more run down then the parts east of Baisley Pond but even though that area looks nicer is still has a element of drug addiction and gang activity . 113 precinct is very close by at Baisley Boulevard next to Rochdale Village but the 113th precinct crime rate is always the highest in queens and it’s the only queens neighborhood that land it in the 20 unsafest Nyc neigborhoods based on violent crime statistics

Check out this ranking couresty of dnainfo.com the lower the ranking/higher the number means the unsafer.

So Yea this shows Jamaica/ south Jamaica has highest violent crime rate in queens and makes the the top 20 highest violent crime rate for nyc in general so it’s pretty unsafe however you’ll be fine if you stick yourself and don’t mix in with the crowd . I also wonder why the houses look so nice too but for what it worth’s , west of linden blvd heading towards Jamaica Proper the houses starts to decline and look more rundown , it’s because Jamaica queens in general is pretty trash and run down not only south Jamaica .Jamaica avenue look and feel like poverty it’s horrible lmao . Literally the whole Sutphin blvd from Jamaica avenue going south to where it stops at Baisley park is terrible and ugly as can be . Directly East of Baisley , they try to brand as Springfield gardens , or Springfield gardens south probably because the houses are nicer . Many don’t consider it Springfield until you go north of farmers . But anyway don’t let the nice houses fool you , crime still happens however you won’t be in any harms way most of the time.
It’s really no mystery as to why the homes look nice. They were built during a time when the demographics and safety of that area were totally different.

Old 01-07-2021, 01:16 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,593,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer_Bell View Post
It’s really no mystery as to why the homes look nice. They were built during a time when the demographics and safety of that area were totally different.
1. This is super racist
2. The homes do not particularly look nice, they look super generic. Though, the type of siding used makes a considerable difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City