Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 08:21 PM

10 posts, read 25,312 times

Advertisements

So I just moved to the city a week ago and I have been frantically looking for a place to live. I was stringent on my requirements but I finally found two places I like. Unfortunately, having only been here for a week I haven't had the chance to experience everything, so I am hoping everyone here can help?

Here are my two places, please let me know your thoughts in terms of night life, safety, commuting (have to go to Yonkers) and general accessibility to normal things (grocery, drug store, etc..).

I am a 24yr male.

West 44th & 9th ave
East 26th & between 2nd and 3rd ave

Prices are pretty much the same. The one on 26th is $30 more a month, but I was told it can probably be dropped to $100 below the asking, making it cheaper than 44th.

Thank you so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 08:44 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
If you are taking the train to Yonkers (are you?) then my vote in terms of commuting only is for E 26th, as you can get to the 6 train very easily and it takes you right to Grand Central. If you are at 44th and 9th, it's kind of a hassle to take the subway to Grand Central. You could take the S or the 7 but whenever I have been in that position (travelling across town) I have always dreaded it.

I have spent quite a bit of time in the 44th St/9th ave area. It's a bit too busy/crazy/noisy for me, but there are plenty of good amenities. there's a huge Food Emporium basically underground on 43rd between 9th and 10th, plus tons of places to eat - both cheap places and expensive (theatre district) options. There's a pizza place on 41st and 9th that has 99cent slices-hard to beat! Amy's Bread, Amish Market, Seabreeze Fish Market.. .you won't go hungry.

Transportation is excellent at 42nd St./Times Square - it's just that for me, I felt it was a pain to get cross town to the east side (like Grand Central).

My gut feeling is that I would go for the apartment on 26th as I feel like that area of town is calmer and nicer and cleaner. Plus I think there are a million one people your age over in that area which might be nice for you.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:06 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
I'd take the place on the East side. Hell's Kitchen just isn't to my liking. Dirty, gritty, and, sometimes, downright scary.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:21 AM

100 posts, read 530,327 times
I could go with either one but since you have to get to GCT quickly I'd take the one on 26th.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:53 AM

10 posts, read 25,312 times
I will actually be taking the subway to 242 Bronx, my company runs a shuttle to pick us up from that location. So I wont be taking GCT.

With that in mind, would everyone still recommend E 26th?

My boss told me that that area is quiet and he didn't think I would have enough to do? Is this correct or not?

Thank you!

Old 04-13-2008, 08:01 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
Yup, I'd still recommend East 26th. Personally, I just don't LIKE Hell's Kitchen. Never have, never will. I don't ever feel completely safe at night there.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:24 AM

877 posts, read 2,768,591 times
East 26th Street is more preferable to me since it is quieter and still has enough amenities around that you will be in the midst of it all but if you are traveling to 242nd Street (I believe that is the 1 train), the commute from 44th Street would be easier. Hell's Kitchen is just really crowded too me and tends to stay active well into the early morning. If you like that atmosphere then I would say go for that one. Welcome to the New York.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:29 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
like everyone else said, 26th and 3rd ave is the quieter neighborhood, but 44th and 9th ave is the easier commute.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-13-2008, 10:03 AM

922 posts, read 3,861,784 times
I lived close to the Hell's Kitchen corner you are looking at when I first moved to NY about 20 months ago. (58th & 9th).

As a newcomer, living amongst the crowds and "hustle-bustle" can be exciting at first, but as you settle in after a few months, it can get old, and you might desire quieter surroundings and a stronger neighborhood feel. The area around 44th and 9th has a LOT of tourists, especially on the other side of 8th Ave. You'll quickly get tired of navigating around them on a daily basis as you make your way around.

But I'm almost twenty years older than you and married, so I might have different priorities.

As for "having enough to do", on 26th and 3rd, there are some very good restaurants in Gramercy, and you're only a short walk from Union Square and its surrounding area, which has always got something going on. I can't comment on nightlife/bars because I'm really not into that - because of the over 40/married thing . You're also a short cab or subway ride from Chelsea, Soho and the East Village, which have very vibrant nightlife scenes.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:24 AM

3,368 posts, read 11,673,266 times
The apartment on the East Side is in a MUCH nicer neighborhood. 44th and 9th is safe because of all the people walking around at all hours, but generally the buildings, stores, and restaurants around 26th and 3rd are nicer. It is a more established neighborhood that is less noisy and crowded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: