Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 11:23 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times

Advertisements

The Upper West Side is one of the most expensive areas of the city. As is Greenwich Village. You're better off sticking to Murray Hill or Midtown east. My manager just moved to a different one bedroom and was actually relieved to find a decent sized one bedroom for less than $4000. $2000/month for a one bedroom won't get you a doorman buildling.

Check this, from today's NY Times:

Finding Your First Apartment in New York City - Your Apartment May Be Smaller Than Expected - Housing - New York Times

Last edited by Viralmd; 04-20-2008 at 02:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 02:36 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,293,896 times
I just don't understand the logic.....for these prices, you can OWN. I understand the amenities that Manhattan has to offer, but at the end of the day, people thrown away money for something they can even capitalize on. $3,500 a month and I don't have any say-so? It seems absurd to me.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-20-2008, 03:33 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,671,359 times
Again, $3000 gets you a LUXURY one bedroom in a doorman building on the East Side (or in the UWS, for that matter). $4000 is ultra high-end and is not typical of the price for a nice one bedroom unless it is in a brand new building or located right on the park or something....

Old 04-20-2008, 03:35 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,671,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I just don't understand the logic.....for these prices, you can OWN. I understand the amenities that Manhattan has to offer, but at the end of the day, people thrown away money for something they can even capitalize on. $3,500 a month and I don't have any say-so? It seems absurd to me.
Well, you can't buy without a downpayment. Sure, $3000/month could be used for a mortgage, but generally you have to put 10% down and buying usually isn't a possibility until you have that money. "Throwing out money" on rent is the only option until you have a good downpayment.

Old 04-20-2008, 03:41 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Again, $3000 gets you a LUXURY one bedroom in a doorman building on the East Side (or in the UWS, for that matter). $4000 is ultra high-end and is not typical of the price for a nice one bedroom unless it is in a brand new building or located right on the park or something....
From the NY Times article:

"... the average rent for a one-bedroom in a doorman building anywhere in Manhattan is close to $3,500."

Old 04-20-2008, 04:38 PM

510 posts, read 2,243,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texags02 View Post
Jeff, that's our COMBINED income to start. My portion of that is $125k. I hope that still qualifies as "good."
$125k, at least in my opinion, is GOOD. Sure you won't be able to live as high on the hog with that money as you would in Texas on that same salary but you are definitly in good shape. ESPECIALLY for just starting out. Congrats!

Old 04-20-2008, 05:38 PM

718 posts, read 2,325,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texags02 View Post
...or find something in a neighboring bourough. My fiancee and I will be moving to NYC in August, and we're debating on whether to give Manhatten a shot. As of now, we see ourselves staying for a few years before transferring down to Texas where we're from. While we realize that living across the Hudson or in a neighboring area (Long Island City, Astoria, Williamsburg, etc.) might save us some money (or get more space for it), there's a part of us that wants to splurge and at least give Manhatten a shot. We'll both be working in the Midtown area, and our combined income will be about $210,000k to start. What do you guys thinK? I've done tons of research and have a good idea of what prices we'll be looking at in all of those places. We'll be bringing a dog (black lab about 65 pounds).
You can afford living in Manhattan very easily. Many of us have been around Manhattan our whole lives and take it for granted, but for you, coming from Texas and only staying a few years, your going to want to live in Manhattan and experience that while you can as it is very different than the South (even different from the southern cities). You're probably not going to want to live next to a warehouse and have to hop on a subway to drag yourself 10-30 min to Manhattan each way just to save a few bucks.

Id say your decision is similar to when people up here want to go to Florida, California, or Hawaii. We dont want to be 1, 2, 5 or 50 miles from the beach having to drive through traffic and spend 2 hours looking for parking, we want to be within short walking distance of the beach and feel a part of the beach community.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:18 PM

471 posts, read 1,475,722 times
Researching does nothing. Google maps does nothing. Take a trip there.

It's quite obvious that you are not going to have a hard time getting a place.

Quote:
Id say your decision is similar to when people up here want to go to Florida, California, or Hawaii. We dont want to be 1, 2, 5 or 50 miles from the beach having to drive through traffic and spend 2 hours looking for parking, we want to be within short walking distance of the beach and feel a part of the beach community.
Haha. Except, we always end up bawling our eyes out everyday because we don't see a soul for a good week, or when you need milk and you need to drive 30 minutes out, just to realize that the store closed 5 minutes before you parked your car.

.. Or, at least that is what my uncle whines about.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:36 PM

181 posts, read 866,662 times
Well said, DITC. Appreciate it, Jeff.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:12 PM

274 posts, read 1,108,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
1. You'd need to scrape together hundreds of thousands for a downpayment, not including closing costs and a 2% mortgage recording tax in NYC.

2. Vicious circle: paying thousands a month on rent makes it hard to save for a down payment.

3. Monthly maintenance/common charges for a condo cost THOUSANDS, and may equal or exceed the rent of a comparable rental unit.

4. Most people live in Manhattan only for a short while. Not long enough to justify the costs of buying and the cost of selling (5-6% real estate agent's commission).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City