Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2019, 10:09 PM

8,945 posts, read 4,815,047 times

Advertisements

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...5eShvij1QR5Fw8

STATEN ISLAND - Marching to the entrance of Amazon's Staten Island fulfillment facility Monday evening, workers made their demands for better, safer conditions.

"We work like a robot, they don't really care about our health," said one demonstrator.

Dozens of protesters were taking the company to task for what they say are inhumane working conditions at the Bloomfield center —known as JFK8— citing a report compiled in part by the group Make the Road New York.

"Amazon's own data shows that this warehouse in particular is more dangerous than coal mining, the frequencies of serious injuries at this warehouse is enormous, it is three times the national average," said Deborah Axt of Make the Road New York.

Staffers say the report echoes what they already know.

"They would always ask me do things fast," said one worker. "And that's what ultimately led to me being injured."

"You stand up the whole time there's absolutely no sitting except on your break time," said Rina Cummings, a worker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2019, 10:46 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,257,282 times
That’s why I boycott Amazon/whole foods

Old 11-27-2019, 02:10 AM

1,756 posts, read 2,153,195 times
No defense of Amazon as their track record speaks for itself, but I know for a fact the personnel pool that works there is pretty much a carbon copy of the kids in Lean on Me. They need Joe Clark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SbkHgx6YIo

Old 11-27-2019, 08:14 AM

19,108 posts, read 14,100,014 times
They better keep up the pace so I get my running armband friday as they promised!

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 11-27-2019, 05:48 PM

16,219 posts, read 6,971,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...5eShvij1QR5Fw8

STATEN ISLAND - Marching to the entrance of Amazon's Staten Island fulfillment facility Monday evening, workers made their demands for better, safer conditions.

"We work like a robot, they don't really care about our health," said one demonstrator.

Dozens of protesters were taking the company to task for what they say are inhumane working conditions at the Bloomfield center —known as JFK8— citing a report compiled in part by the group Make the Road New York.

"Amazon's own data shows that this warehouse in particular is more dangerous than coal mining, the frequencies of serious injuries at this warehouse is enormous, it is three times the national average," said Deborah Axt of Make the Road New York.

Staffers say the report echoes what they already know.

"They would always ask me do things fast," said one worker. "And that's what ultimately led to me being injured."

"You stand up the whole time there's absolutely no sitting except on your break time," said Rina Cummings, a worker.
Opinion:
I have empathy for their plight. Best of wishes.
Coming for a coal mining family they should not
make such comparisons. They are totally clueless.

Old 11-27-2019, 05:55 PM

16,219 posts, read 6,971,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMan2k5 View Post
No defense of Amazon as their track record speaks for itself, but I know for a fact the personnel pool that works there is pretty much a carbon copy of the kids in Lean on Me. They need Joe Clark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SbkHgx6YIo
Opinion:
Morgan Freeman in my eyes is one of the greatest actors
that I have ever watched. Captivating as he draws you right into his character.

Old 11-27-2019, 06:26 PM

8,945 posts, read 4,815,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Opinion:
I have empathy for their plight. Best of wishes.
Coming for a coal mining family they should not
make such comparisons. They are totally clueless.
Hyperbole but this reminded me of the Purdue Chicken Factory scandal on 60 Minutes awhile back. The working conditions were horrible. The workers had to stand in line for hours on end, couldn't even get a bathroom break and had to resort to soiling themselves while on line in desperation. It was truly horrible. I was shocked. Not to mention the sanitary conditions of them handling chicken all the while!

Old 11-27-2019, 10:29 PM

15,883 posts, read 14,575,015 times
Soon enough they'll be replaced by robots, and it won't be a problem any more.

Old 11-28-2019, 05:07 AM

19,333 posts, read 17,227,945 times
Is the problem unique to this facility or system wide? We have Amazon facilities here and people I know who work for them speak well of the company especially about the benefits.

Old 11-28-2019, 06:26 AM

431 posts, read 513,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Is the problem unique to this facility or system wide? We have Amazon facilities here and people I know who work for them speak well of the company especially about the benefits.
System wide. Similar situations have been reported in facilities in NJ, Indiana, Georgia, Arizona, California. multiple news organizations have covered it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: