Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 12:29 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,923,890 times

Advertisements

I am not interested in using it at this time. I'll change over when I have to, as I am certainly not tech averse....but I just don't trust the MTA to not ********** up. They screw everything up.

I'd rather use an app on my phone than a contactless credit card. I usually have my phone in my hand when walking, I do not have my credit cards in my hand lol.

As it is, I am now commuting via a combination of MetroNorth and the subway. The stations I use for the subway have it installed. I truthfully haven't read any of the articles, so no idea what the plans are for MNRR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2019, 12:35 PM

12,792 posts, read 8,355,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
I am not interested in using it at this time. I'll change over when I have to, as I am certainly not tech averse....but I just don't trust the MTA to not ********** up. They screw everything up.

I'd rather use an app on my phone than a contactless credit card. I usually have my phone in my hand when walking, I do not have my credit cards in my hand lol.

As it is, I am now commuting via a combination of MetroNorth and the subway. The stations I use for the subway have it installed. I truthfully haven't read any of the articles, so no idea what the plans are for MNRR.
There's an app for MNRR and LIRR (e-Tix). I take the commuter trains from Queens, Long Island, the Bronx and Westchester and use the app. It is great. You can store a few cards for easy use. I keep a credit card on there when I'm on the go.

Old 12-19-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
There's an app for MNRR and LIRR (e-Tix). I take the commuter trains from Queens, Long Island, the Bronx and Westchester and use the app. It is great. You can store a few cards for easy use. I keep a credit card on there when I'm on the go.
Oh I have that app. I meant an app for OMNY. I'm not walking around Grand Central with my card in my hand.

Old 12-19-2019, 12:43 PM

282 posts, read 576,810 times
They recently installed it on the F/M lines at 14th Street. Not up and running yet, though.

Old 12-19-2019, 12:46 PM

12,792 posts, read 8,355,457 times
Quote:
Oh I have that app. I meant an app for OMNY. I'm not walking around Grand Central with my card in my hand.
There's really no rush to integrate OMNY with the railroads though because that app works just fine. You can even buy weekly or monthly passes on it. Maybe down the road they will integrate OMNY with the railroads though. I also like that there's TrainTime, which tells you exactly which platform your train is at. No running to the big board to see.

Old 12-19-2019, 01:26 PM

134 posts, read 251,651 times
Quote:

You can use your phone to tap in as long as you have mobile wallet setup with your phone and have NFC turned on in settings. No need to take your debit or credit out of your pocket to use it.

Old 12-19-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boliqua2 View Post
You can use your phone to tap in as long as you have mobile wallet setup with your phone and have NFC turned on in settings. No need to take your debit or credit out of your pocket to use it.
Right, I don't want to set up mobile wallet either. I don't see the need for it.

So when the time comes, I'll do whatever I have to do. But just wanted to point out that people resistant to adoption of this new technology is not always because they're not tech savvy. I very much am, and decided long ago that my iPhone doesn't need to become an extension of my cards.

Old 12-19-2019, 02:51 PM

8,943 posts, read 4,802,563 times
Quote:
This. It's not so much anti-tech as it is anti-MTA. If any entity epitomizes Murphy's Law, it's them. Case in point, they toot the expensive, newfangled switching system they just recently installed on the 7 train but ever since then, the 7 train has had massive delays (yesterday being one of them) whenever there's a tad bit of slush. Meh. I'll wait and see all of you use the omny and be the guinea pigs in this experiment.

Last edited by Aeran; 12-19-2019 at 03:35 PM..

Old 12-19-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
This. It's more anti-MTA than anti-tech. If any entity epitomizes Murphy's Law, it's them. Case in point, they toot the expensive, newfangled switching system they just recently installed on the 7 train but ever since then, the 7 train has had massive delays (yesterday being one of them) whenever there's a tad bit of slush. Meh. I'll wait and see all of you use the omny and be the guinea pigs in this experiment.
Yup! They aren't good at doing what they're supposed to do....so I'm supposed to trust them to get all new fangled??? Nahhhh.

Old 12-19-2019, 06:13 PM

7,907 posts, read 7,940,842 times
I feel they should keep the metrocard in circulation and have OMNY as a option too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City