Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2019, 09:51 AM

18,503 posts, read 31,723,464 times

Advertisements

Franklin Street on the number 1 train had the omni thing, we just saw it 2 weekends ago.
I didnt see anyone using it either.

I dont have a cell, as i have stated, and if I did, I wouldnt want to take it out in he subway either.
bad enough I have to take out my wallet for the freaking metro card, at least with a token it went in your pocket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2019, 09:52 AM

18,503 posts, read 31,723,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Not me, unless they issue me a durable, hard plastic discounted card that I can refill...just like PATH. I am not buying a Smart Phone just to use the subway.

Oh HELL effinno, me either, you have got to be kidding me.

I absolutley would not buy one either, thats insanity, pure insanity.

maybe we both need to go to the glue factory. LOL

Old 12-27-2019, 12:05 PM

8,943 posts, read 4,799,652 times
You don't need a smart phone. Just get a contactless credit card & if you already have a credit card and don't see the wifi symbol on the back, call the issuer of the credit card and request another one be sent with wifi availability.

Old 12-27-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I dont have a cell, as i have stated, and if I did, I wouldnt want to take it out in he subway either.
bad enough I have to take out my wallet for the freaking metro card, at least with a token it went in your pocket.
This. I'm not taking out my smart phone. You've got to be kidding me. Ditto taking out my wallet. So, I'm already prepared. I have the metro card in a separate folder all by itself that I take out and now will do the same with my contact less credit card. But all that will wait until I have no choice.

Old 12-28-2019, 08:21 AM

25,426 posts, read 37,189,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
For seniors a wireless rechargeable card with a chip on it. That's how similar systems OMNI is basing itself off handle themselves.

Thanks NYW. I will be happy to accept and use such a card. I liked the convenience with PATH: all I had to do was tap my wallet without even taking out the card.

Old 12-28-2019, 08:34 AM

25,426 posts, read 37,189,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
You don't need a smart phone. Just get a contactless credit card & if you already have a credit card and don't see the wifi symbol on the back, call the issuer of the credit card and request another one be sent with wifi availability.

I just got such a card. So if I use it I presume my account would be debited $2.75 (instead of my normal $1.35,) right?

Old 12-28-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I just got such a card. So if I use it I presume my account would be debited $2.75 (instead of my normal $1.35,) right?
Yeah. Ditto if you would use a smart phone. The MTA has not addressed how they will handle the discount metro cards yet. They haven't said definitively that it would be like the PATH card although there are hints that that's what they'll do. My mom has one of those discount metro cards and I'd wait until the MTA says something specific about it.

Old 03-06-2020, 05:03 AM

43,829 posts, read 44,597,341 times
I have now seen the OMNY option at Grand Central Station as I assume stations with more heavy foot traffic have this. I plan on continuing to use a Metrocard until the whole system as the OMNY option.

Old 03-06-2020, 07:12 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,770,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I have now seen the OMNY option at Grand Central Station as I assume stations with more heavy foot traffic have this. I plan on continuing to use a Metrocard until the whole system as the OMNY option.
I thought it was only on the lex line but I saw it this week on the 8th ave line

The reason it's taking off now is because they got rid of the 5% metrocard bonus. So if you pay full fare $2.75 on every tap you are not losing out by not having loaded a card and getting the discount (which doesn't exist anymore)

Old 03-06-2020, 08:43 AM

5,466 posts, read 5,733,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
I thought it was only on the lex line but I saw it this week on the 8th ave line

The reason it's taking off now is because they got rid of the 5% metrocard bonus. So if you pay full fare $2.75 on every tap you are not losing out by not having loaded a card and getting the discount (which doesn't exist anymore)
It would really take off if they get the ability to put unlimited metrocards on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City