Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2019, 01:13 PM

46 posts, read 37,057 times

Advertisements

Looking for $1000 a month studio in the bronx.

Very few Craigslist listings for $1000 studio.
Very few listings for roommates.

Is there a bronx website or do I appear somewhere in person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2019, 01:21 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellesouthwell View Post

Where else have you looked so far besides Craigslist? So that people don't give double suggestions.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-22-2019, 01:39 PM

2,317 posts, read 1,153,831 times
Just guessing but maybe some $1k studios in the east Bronx in 2 or 3 family homes. A lot of those end being rented through word-of-mouth. Good luck.

Old 12-22-2019, 01:41 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,601,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Where else have you looked so far besides Craigslist? So that people don't give double suggestions.
My daughter's friend just got a one bedroom in an affordable housing building in the Bronx. Just opened on Story Ave building has a gym and laundry mat. She pays 750. Check out the affordable housing apps and good luck.

Old 12-22-2019, 01:59 PM

8,382 posts, read 4,403,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellesouthwell View Post

Okay dear, I have a studio in Parkchester, the Bronx (which, as you might know is a totally decent and safe part of the Bronx), which I was renting out for 10 years, and would be still renting it out for $1,000 a month, except that the tenants were constantly trying to s*rew me over, so I decided that the measly $12k per year is not worth it to me at the age of 60, so now the studio is empty except when I come to NYC and use it to sleep there (which happened for a total of 53 days in the year 2019). You could afford to have a studio in an okay and convenient part of the Bronx, if I could trust you and similar housing seekers - but, based on past experience, I can't. That is why my studio is not available for rent, and why it is rare to find a studio for that kind of rent anywhere in the city. If there weren't for non-paying tenants, lease-breaking tenants, property-destroying tenants, legally-threatening tenants, absurd NYC housing laws, and tenants demanding luxury bells & whistles for $1k per month, there would be a lot of easily available, affordable, decent housing in the Bronx.

Now that I ventilated my grievances, I can also tell you that I had learned in the past (when I was a small-scope landlord, with this one rental studio) NOT to look for tenants on Craigslist. It used to be a reliable website for rental transactions, but it had completely degenerated, and the only people still using it (at least the housing section) seem to be completely undesirable characters that are every landlord's special nightmare. You won't find anything there, landlords don't even look there (unless they have something rundown and illegal to rent - that kind of landlord can potentially meet his right tenant counterpart on Craigslist, yes).

In the second 5 years of my landlording in the Bronx, I got tenants only through real estate agents. A real estate agent might be able to find you something not remotely good for $1,000 in the Bronx, but the agent will charge you $1,000 for that service. I nevertheless think that is your best option. Good luck.

Last edited by elnrgby; 12-22-2019 at 02:13 PM..

Old 12-22-2019, 02:54 PM

46 posts, read 37,057 times
Quote:
Check out the affordable housing apps and good luck.
Please show me example of affordable housing website

Old 12-22-2019, 03:33 PM

87 posts, read 119,982 times
start here--

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/hpd/servic...t-rentals.page

Old 12-22-2019, 03:43 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,240,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Okay dear, I have a studio in Parkchester, the Bronx (which, as you might know is a totally decent and safe part of the Bronx), which I was renting out for 10 years, and would be still renting it out for $1,000 a month, except that the tenants were constantly trying to s*rew me over, so I decided that the measly $12k per year is not worth it to me at the age of 60, so now the studio is empty except when I come to NYC and use it to sleep there (which happened for a total of 53 days in the year 2019). You could afford to have a studio in an okay and convenient part of the Bronx, if I could trust you and similar housing seekers - but, based on past experience, I can't. That is why my studio is not available for rent, and why it is rare to find a studio for that kind of rent anywhere in the city. If there weren't for non-paying tenants, lease-breaking tenants, property-destroying tenants, legally-threatening tenants, absurd NYC housing laws, and tenants demanding luxury bells & whistles for $1k per month, there would be a lot of easily available, affordable, decent housing in the Bronx.

Now that I ventilated my grievances, I can also tell you that I had learned in the past (when I was a small-scope landlord, with this one rental studio) NOT to look for tenants on Craigslist. It used to be a reliable website for rental transactions, but it had completely degenerated, and the only people still using it (at least the housing section) seem to be completely undesirable characters that are every landlord's special nightmare. You won't find anything there, landlords don't even look there (unless they have something rundown and illegal to rent - that kind of landlord can potentially meet his right tenant counterpart on Craigslist, yes).

In the second 5 years of my landlording in the Bronx, I got tenants only through real estate agents. A real estate agent might be able to find you something not remotely good for $1,000 in the Bronx, but the agent will charge you $1,000 for that service. I nevertheless think that is your best option. Good luck.
That wasn’t helpful at all. Haha thanks for your novels I like to laugh.

Old 12-22-2019, 04:22 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,141,966 times
I've never used these myself, but I know there are groups for finding roommates and rooms for rent on FB like this one. https://www.facebook.com/groups/240907403289465/

There's also Facebook marketplace.

Old 12-24-2019, 01:00 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,760,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post

You have lamented this a lot. Somehow, I wonder if the problem was your selection process, or your ability to be a good landlord. Like your comments about kitchens. I do have an appreciation for historic details, but not to the detriment of functionality. Older kitchens in Parkchester tend to have very, very little counters-pace. Are awkward shapes making it hard to fit stuff in it. The cabinets are old and not adjustable which can be problematic when you're trying to maximize the space. The amount of them is also lacking because they are too few and not enough to with food and dishes. For the most part, older kitchens are trash except for people who don't actually use them for their intended purpose, to cook in. Add an old stove, a old refrigerator, and perhaps in adequate electrical, it can be hard to live with. I have had landlords who refused to do any maintenance at all, including paint every 5 years and wanted me to replace stuff that was old before I even moved in. For an apartment like that, I'd expect to pay A LOT less than $1,000 a month. I'd take it for $500 if I, as a renter had to shoulder the responsibility of actually making it halfway decent. and a pleasant environment. $1,000 for a rundown studio, even in Parkchester isn't really a bargain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: