Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 12:21 PM

31,947 posts, read 27,066,154 times

Advertisements

It's starting to get crowded on UES, and things are only going to get worse as more development is planned.

https://nypost.com/2020/01/06/second...-mass-transit/

Candle 19 restaurant on 79th and Lexington has closed; sign in window says "due to real estate development activity". Restaurant next door was emptied out leaving just that Republic bank branch on corner, and am sure its days are numbered.

New buildings are going up on 79th between Lexington and Park, then one block east going towards Madison is another new development.

South west corner of Madison and 86th has been emptied out (Demarchelier Bistro, Purdy Optics, Morni restaurant, Prestige Cleaners, Chuckies, etc...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2020, 12:29 PM

4,783 posts, read 6,595,747 times
We can't really blame SAS for this development because these projects are farther west. Maybe we're thinking that the 4/5/6 will be less crowded now, so the area is more desirable?

Old 01-07-2020, 12:31 PM

11,200 posts, read 9,100,281 times
Stephen A Smith from ESPN???

Old 01-07-2020, 01:44 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,959,834 times
I think this was bound to happen. I am sad to see Yorkville go this direction because it was one of my favorite neighborhoods in the City -- one which had a true neighborhood feel.

Bugsy, do you see Yorkville going "upscale" like the Central Park adjacent UES or do you see luxury developments here and there?

My impression was that new money was heading downtown, 1%s in midtown, old money in UES (near CP), and well to do families on UWS. Are things changing?

Old 01-07-2020, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
I think this was bound to happen. I am sad to see Yorkville go this direction because it was one of my favorite neighborhoods in the City -- one which had a true neighborhood feel.

Bugsy, do you see Yorkville going "upscale" like the Central Park adjacent UES or do you see luxury developments here and there?

My impression was that new money was heading downtown, 1%s in midtown, old money in UES (near CP), and well to do families on UWS. Are things changing?
Well so far aside from the Gilbert condo (and they had to be sued/dragged into it by city) none of this new housing on UES is "affordable" and zero is "low income". That may change as developers release plans for what they are going to build.

Extell has that huge (now empty lot) on First between 79th and 80th which qualifies for "inclusion bonus" , but they haven't said what is going to be built.

Both corner of Lexington and 78th and Third at 83rd have said buildings will be "luxury condo", so that's that. Obviously anything west of Lexington isn't going to bother with affordable housing.

What happens north of 86th may prove another story.

Old 01-07-2020, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post

Yorkville is now getting the development that should have happened back when Third and Second avenue elevated subway were torn down. Fast forward to 2020 land is worth and cost far more, so don't think developers are going to be willing to pencil in affordable if they can get their money with market rate.

Old 01-07-2020, 02:17 PM

15,868 posts, read 14,508,751 times
I live in Yorkville. I have no problems with this. The more of the old brick tenements go, the better off the neighborhood is.

Old 01-07-2020, 04:26 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,985,472 times
Who would have thought the Upper East Side, the uppittiest part of Manhattan, and has been since anyone can remember needs, and has the room for gentrification?

Old 01-08-2020, 11:59 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,959,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Well so far aside from the Gilbert condo (and they had to be sued/dragged into it by city) none of this new housing on UES is "affordable" and zero is "low income". That may change as developers release plans for what they are going to build.

Extell has that huge (now empty lot) on First between 79th and 80th which qualifies for "inclusion bonus" , but they haven't said what is going to be built.

Both corner of Lexington and 78th and Third at 83rd have said buildings will be "luxury condo", so that's that. Obviously anything west of Lexington isn't going to bother with affordable housing.

What happens north of 86th may prove another story.
That's what I suspected. I understand why these developers are choosing to serve the luxury segment: NYC bureaucracy in construction, premium wages for all those who involved in the development, demand from affluent buyers and most of all, maximizing their profit potential.

Old 01-08-2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Who would have thought the Upper East Side, the uppittiest part of Manhattan, and has been since anyone can remember needs, and has the room for gentrification?
Depends upon how you define gentrification?

From Third east (Yorkville) UES has remained pretty much frozen in time with scores if not hundreds of old tenements, walk-ups and other housing built nearly or well over 100 years ago. Many of these buildings are sitting on land that since 1960's rezoning can accommodate much higher density housing.

Yorkville is full of old vermin infested buildings that truly need to come down. Fact many are filled with rent regulated tenants is one reason most are still standing.

There has been development on side streets for few years before SAS opened.

This: Besen Partners

Became this: https://streeteasy.com/building/318-...treet-new_york
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City