Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2020, 09:47 PM

8,942 posts, read 4,788,022 times

Advertisements

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...WamxrW2y5n-ISA

The data is in and the MTA says the subway got better in 2019. Some riders say they're feeling it.

“Most of the time the A runs pretty solidly for me,” said Kaitlin Byrd, who uses the train frequently. “It's my main train. It's been pretty consistent. There were a handful of delays this morning.”

But the improvements are uneven across train lines.

“I also use the J Train, that one's painful all the time,” said Byrd.
According to the MTA, 80 percent of trains reached their last stop on schedule last year, the system's best performance since 2013.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2020, 11:19 AM

103 posts, read 92,615 times
I believe it. 2018 was so bad, it was absolutely guaranteed that at least one day a week there would be SIGNIFICANT delays. At least. Minor delays were like every other day.

I'm gonna guess in 2019 it was probably down to once every 3 weeks for significant delays along my route.

Old 01-21-2020, 11:21 AM

12,792 posts, read 8,329,294 times
Maybe the delays are down, but the overcrowding is still a problem. So much for living near a subway line...

Old 01-21-2020, 11:26 AM

103 posts, read 92,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Maybe the delays are down, but the overcrowding is still a problem. So much for living near a subway line...
Ugh too true. More often than not I have to do a balancing act on the G train because I'm stuck in the middle of the car with literally nothing to hold on to. I just kind rely on the fact that I'm crammed in like a sardine to keep me from falling.

Old 01-21-2020, 03:07 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,376,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metrocardigan View Post
Ugh too true. More often than not I have to do a balancing act on the G train because I'm stuck in the middle of the car with literally nothing to hold on to. I just kind rely on the fact that I'm crammed in like a sardine to keep me from falling.
FWIW, this isn't uncommon around the world during rush hours. With on time performance improving, hopefully MTA can eventually shift focus to expanding lines and adding cars. I've never taken the G during rush hour, but I know it's a less-used line and it usually has less cars. Adding frequency and more cars to the G could hopefully solve some of the overcrowding, as long as on time performance stays on an upward trajectory.

Old 01-21-2020, 03:26 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,623,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metrocardigan View Post
I believe it. 2018 was so bad, it was absolutely guaranteed that at least one day a week there would be SIGNIFICANT delays. At least. Minor delays were like every other day.

I'm gonna guess in 2019 it was probably down to once every 3 weeks for significant delays along my route.
Same. I went to Tokyo in April 2018, and when I came back in May 2018, the subway was TERRIBLE. It took a long time for things to get back into shape. The only thing I dislike though is that the F is every 7 minutes instead of every 4 for me in the morning (minor, I know), but it runs on time much more than it was back then. Damage is done though, I now rarely leave the Lower East Side on the weekends anymore.

Old 01-22-2020, 06:50 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,373,584 times
That's okay they just do more work earlier than ever so they can change service hours and then service is fine. I remember when work started at 11:30-11:45 PM and now it starts at 9:30.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City