Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 10:26 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,521,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensGuy72 View Post
As the son and nephew of immigrants, who came here legally and WAITED THE FK IN LINE, I'm not opposed to helping legal immigrants/residents...but NOTHING beyond five years in the country. If you can't compete after five years, GTFO or sink like the rest of us.
Well, this goes beyond even what you would prescribe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Opinion:
The failure of many that find it too easy to open
their mouths but to difficult to open their eyes.
Research your History.
Former President Woodrow Wilson was specific
as who he did not want in our country.
No imbeciles, no prostitutes, no sickly.
He aimed for those with skills and the motivation
to work and contribute to our great country.

The word WORK keeps America Strong not the word FREE as in housing,medical and transportation.
What free transportation is available?

Old 02-25-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
This rule is more than fair, to become ineligible for a green card you must have received public welfare fore more than 12 months in any 3 year period. That's a whole year, in that time you should have been able to find a way to support yourself.

Sorry but the US is not a charity, you have to be able to pull your own weight to earn the privilege of immigrating
Is there a carve out for people who are disabled, temporary or permanent

Old 02-25-2020, 10:29 AM

Y'all know immigrants use way less public assistance than citizens right ?

Old 02-25-2020, 10:33 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,728,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Is there a carve out for people who are disabled, temporary or permanent
Probably not, but why should there be - Why would the country want to take in the disabled?

Old 02-25-2020, 10:37 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
The attraction to this country is not work opportunity -that went out with the Edsel
It’s the free free free commercials that are killing us
The question is can one man turn it around -while an of army cartel paid- pay to play congress rats -run our country and gop sits on its hands
Can one man really fix everything?
Only in a Clint Eastwood movie and he cheering for Bloomberg

Old 02-25-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Probably not, but why should there be - Why would the country want to take in the disabled?
Well, without getting into the ethical debate, someone could come here legally, be working , and then become disabled and unable to work.

Old 02-25-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
The attraction to this country is not work opportunity -that went out with the Edsel
It’s the free free free commercials that are killing us
The question is can one man turn it around -while an of army cartel paid- pay to play congress rats -run our country and gop sits on its hands
Can one man really fix everything?
Only in a Clint Eastwood movie and he cheering for Bloomberg
The idea that immigrants don't come here to work doesn't jibe with the other evergreen chestnut of immigrants are stealing the jobs. Which is it ?

Old 02-25-2020, 11:16 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,618,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
A legal immigrant here. It took me 29 years from the initial student visa to full citizenship - but I was always in some legal status or the other in the US during those 29 years. So, I came to the US with financial resources way below poverty line (specifically, a $560 per month graduate student research stipend in 1983-87 was my only resource for 3.5 years, then $ went up a little bit for endless years of medical training, but not very much up. To my knowledge, a LEGAL immigrant, prior to becoming a citizen, is not eligible for any form of public assistance in the US, never has been. I paid my health insurance premium in full out of my $560 stipend, and I likewise paid my rent out of the same $560 (first for a cold-water storage attic, than for sleeping on a living room couch in a 1 bdrm apt shared with a grad student couple who had a baby that never stopped howling - possibly the source of my life-long aversion to parenthood :-). I ate badly and minimally for 3.5 years, and pretty much never bought anything other than basic food, Greyhound tickets to nearby NYC, and whatever it cost to see bands at CBGB (Hilly, the late owner of CBGB, is the only source that ever gave me any freebie in the US :-).

Anyway, the question about financial resources is already in the immigration application forms, always has been. There is no mechanism that I know of through which a non-citizen can get free public benefits in the US. There are non-governmental charities that help out political refugees, and an emergency room has no easy way of turning down a person that shows up without any ability to pay for medical service, such as (commonly for illegal immigrants) labor & delivery (ie, the hospital has to absorb the cost of free care - the leading reason why the hospital has to raise costs for paying customers to astronomic levels). Taxpayers, however, do not support legal immigrants in any way, shape or form.

The new rules, therefore, apply essentially only to illegal immigrants. They are Trump's way to get around the "safe haven" issue. If the rules get really pursued, taxpayers may at last see their healthcare costs go down a bit (only a bit, since there are still tens of millions of domestic non-paying customers). I guess this may be one form of Trump's response to the issue of healthcare cost-containment that has been lacking so far (in addition to being, of course, a response to illegal immigration).
I have had 2 friends that have, at least technically. Not many immigrants who are in other countries for school are making much money, and that holds true domestically (I definitionally know outliers like my friend from the Philippines and several from China). Of those 2 friends, one went back to Europe, the other got US Citizenship after 10 years. Student visa is a bit different, and it's certainly more restrictive in other countries but well accepted as people who aim for higher learning are very highly desired by any country. I'm sure a lot of countries would love to hemorrhage the academic talent we pull in from Ivy League to University of California. With income, I'm more concerning the working visas.

In general though, I thought we already had income based laws in terms of working visas in place, but maybe we don't. My gf certainly had a tough time in Canada due to their restrictive laws, which I admire.

Old 02-25-2020, 11:34 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,714,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
I have had 2 friends that have, at least technically. Not many immigrants who are in other countries for school are making much money, and that holds true domestically (I definitionally know outliers like my friend from the Philippines and several from China). Of those 2 friends, one went back to Europe, the other got US Citizenship after 10 years. Student visa is a bit different, and it's certainly more restrictive in other countries but well accepted as people who aim for higher learning are very highly desired by any country. I'm sure a lot of countries would love to hemorrhage the academic talent we pull in from Ivy League to University of California. With income, I'm more concerning the working visas.

In general though, I thought we already had income based laws in terms of working visas in place, but maybe we don't. My gf certainly had a tough time in Canada due to their restrictive laws, which I admire.
In some countries you can just flat out buy citizenship. Canada gives you citizenship if you invest like 800k Canadian and live in the country for about half of the time. They give it to you in like 3 years. That's how a lot of corrupt Chinese party officials moved to Vancouver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: