Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 03:21 PM

32,185 posts, read 27,419,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
Medicaid, NYCHA and other public housing. Their kids go to school for free. To name a few.
Basically anything in NYS or NYC not funded strictly nor controlled by federal government entirely is open to illegal or legal immigrants. Education is due to SCOTUS ruling decades ago striking down laws that prevented not legal immigrant children from attending public schools.

Affordable/low income housing

Free lady's day supplies

Free Metro Cards

Free or reduced medical care at NYC HHC hospitals/medical clinics

Free housing (shelters, vouchers, etc...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2020, 04:19 PM

8,360 posts, read 4,494,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Incorrect, the rules apply mostly to people with work Visas like H1-B and Asylum seekers

https://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/eligib...citizen-policy

I don't see in your link that H1-B visa recipients were ever eligible for the US government assistance. Maybe there is something specific to NYC, but H1-B visa recipients certainly are not eligible for anything on federal level. Their kids can go to public schools for free, and that's about it. But H1-B visa recipients are generally exceptionally qualified professionals, and even if they had access to the US welfare (which I don't see that they do), I don't think they could prove the required financial hardship and still retain that visa.

Regarding refugees and asylees, okay, I really did not know they had access to federal benefits, I thought they were getting stuff from private charities. Well then, they will be affected by new rules, which is totally fair - if they don't like the requirement to support themselves in the US, maybe they will prefer going back to "political persecution" (trust me, people who are truly persecuted in their country of origin will cut their needs to the minimum and network/work like insane to establish some spot on the planet where they won't be chased and killed - their overreaching priority is not typically to have as many kids as they can as soon as they land in a foreign country... I know a little bit about that myself :-).

But Trump"s cabinet should expand the new rules on the domestic welfare recipients if they want to make a significant dent in welfare expenses (who knows, maybe they are heading there). The drain that immigrants (illegal or "political") cause on the taxpayers is still likely much smaller than that caused by domestic welfare recipients. Then one may ask what to do with all the redundant people, right? Which may bring us to Yang's 2024 second attempt at presidential run... and hope that a fixed welfare benefit for every adult US citizen may cause people who are now milking the welfare system in hundreds of ways to think harder how to manage that benefit, since there would no longer be a system they could play for always more handouts. Just a theory.

Old 02-25-2020, 04:20 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,572,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Basically anything in NYS or NYC not funded strictly nor controlled by federal government entirely is open to illegal or legal immigrants. Education is due to SCOTUS ruling decades ago striking down laws that prevented not legal immigrant children from attending public schools.

Affordable/low income housing

Free lady's day supplies

Free Metro Cards

Free or reduced medical care at NYC HHC hospitals/medical clinics

Free housing (shelters, vouchers, etc...)
Just wanna make sure I'm understanding correctly that you're bemoaning homeless shelters as free housing

Old 02-25-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Medicaid, NYCHA and other public housing. Their kids go to school for free. To name a few.
Illegal immigrants can't receive Medicaid

Old 02-25-2020, 04:34 PM

32,185 posts, read 27,419,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Just wanna make sure I'm understanding correctly that you're bemoaning homeless shelters as free housing
Shelters no, aren't great; but everything else is open to them as well. This includes being put up in hotels, getting vouchers for apartments, placed in apartments, and now even Bill de Boob's new assault on wealthy; putting homeless in luxury "affordable" housing buildings.

Old 02-25-2020, 05:14 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,318,014 times
Quote:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/theapot...ed-immigrants/

I have first hand experience and knowledge to know that they do and it is abused!

Old 02-25-2020, 05:19 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,318,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Shelters no, aren't great; but everything else is open to them as well. This includes being put up in hotels, getting vouchers for apartments, placed in apartments, and now even Bill de Boob's new assault on wealthy; putting homeless in luxury "affordable" housing buildings.
I have seen this first hand in housing court. Judge orders 1 year rent payment for an illegal and refuses to allow the landlord to evict

Old 02-25-2020, 05:24 PM

Quote:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/theapot...ed-immigrants/

I have first hand experience and knowledge to know that they do and it is abused!
This isn't Medicaid

Old 02-25-2020, 05:26 PM

This will create more illegal immigrants.

Old 02-25-2020, 06:28 PM

515 posts, read 533,877 times
Quote:
I don’t know about men and women with no kids or non-pregnant but in NY illegal immigrants who are pregnant women or women with children definitely can get Medicaid. My mom owned a hair salon and two women who worked there were on food stamps and Medicaid among whatever else they qualified for. One even had her 3rd child, still here as an illegal immigrant and there was no way she paid a hospital on her nail tech salary. She had government assistance.

Just checked the website here it is.

Public Charge Rule Goes Into Effect, Instills Fear in NYC Immigrant Communities-0a37f88e-d727-4913-8bcd-de599a200c8f.jpeg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: