Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2020, 09:25 PM

8,946 posts, read 4,824,590 times

Advertisements

Interesting.

https://qns.com/story/2020/02/26/dri...e-city-report/

Queens drivers spend an average 17 minutes trying to find a parking space. Only drivers from Staten Island reported that they could find a space faster — but only by one minute.

In Brooklyn and Manhattan, drivers reported they spend 21 minutes on average looking for a space to park their car. Bronx drivers said the search for free space takes them 19 minutes.

While not inexpensive, Queens also is one of the cheaper places to park...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2020, 11:41 PM

700 posts, read 427,097 times
Two of the most residential neighborhoods with the least amount of alternate side parking take a shorter time to find parking? What a shock?

Useless study that average New Yorker already knows.

Old 02-27-2020, 12:30 AM

30,755 posts, read 18,466,805 times
Funny, I usually find parking within 5 minutes tops wherever I am in NYC. The key, however, is that you should not continue circling the block but wait on one block for someone to come out and move their car. At least that has worked for me.

Old 02-27-2020, 05:45 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,955,948 times
Unless you are in Forest Hills or Flushing.

Old 02-27-2020, 06:03 AM

4,214 posts, read 4,138,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Funny, I usually find parking within 5 minutes tops wherever I am in NYC. The key, however, is that you should not continue circling the block but wait on one block for someone to come out and move their car. At least that has worked for me.
So you double park and risk a ticket for double parking? Even if they just ask you to move along instead of giving you a ticket, I don’t like blocking traffic because I don’t like it when someone else does it.

Old 02-27-2020, 06:04 AM

43,948 posts, read 44,744,015 times
Quote:
It depends on the time of day as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
Unless you are in Forest Hills or Flushing.
Or Rego Park!

Old 02-27-2020, 06:29 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,283,603 times
Quote:
Good advice. That’s seasoned NY’er smarts right there.

Old 02-27-2020, 07:17 AM

325 posts, read 201,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveFashion View Post
Two of the most residential neighborhoods with the least amount of alternate side parking take a shorter time to find parking? What a shock?

Useless study that average New Yorker already knows.
Yea I Agree I think pretty much everyone knows this unless they really really don’t get out much and they never spent time parking a car in multiple boroughs

Old 02-27-2020, 08:52 AM

2,325 posts, read 1,177,249 times
I live on S.I. and I think their stats are off. No way the average Islander takes 16 minutes to find a residential parking space. More like 3 minutes. Plenty of on-street parking and no ASP. Now finding a parking space in a SI commercial area can take 10 minutes unless you park a few blocks away and walk, which is what I do all the time. I don't have to worry about the meters and it's literally a 2 minute walk in most cases.

Old 02-27-2020, 10:11 AM

30,755 posts, read 18,466,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
So you double park and risk a ticket for double parking? Even if they just ask you to move along instead of giving you a ticket, I don’t like blocking traffic because I don’t like it when someone else does it.
I'm curious have you ever been or seen someone ticketed for being double parked while they are with their car?

I'm not saying that it doesn't happen but I feel pretty darn good about my chances. If the cops have a problem with you being double parked the standard practice is to give you a courtesy notice.

As for blocking traffic I really don't mind given that we are talking about multi lane streets. And if it ever does become a problem I have no problem moving along and finding a spot to hang on another block.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: