Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2020, 04:19 PM

16,088 posts, read 6,860,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
And how many millions die from the flu each season? Meanwhile how many of you’s are freaking out over the flu?

I am not trying to downplay corona but at the same time the people acting like chickens running around with their heads chopped off like the post I responded to are just ridiculous.

He keeps harping on his anti-Trump rant but does not realize that we are a porous country with a tremendous amount of international movement of people. No amount of sealing the country up is going to keep any contagion (especially one as easily transmissible as this one) completely out.
Opinion: You are spot on.
Corona has spread swiftly but 85% are mild to moderate cases.
Death by numbers can't hold a candle to the flu yet.
Stupid masses emptying shelves of water and hand cleaner.
Drink sink water and practice hygiene..............

As confirmed by the CDC........56,000 per year or 4,666 per month die of the flu.
No one bats an eye. Most of you posters my age beat out a quarter million others
to still be alive today. No cure for the flu ......just a vaccine to stem the tides.
Research before reacting.

Go on with your daily life.

Old 03-09-2020, 05:25 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,772,398 times
The whole country of Italy is in lock down. Jeesh.

Old 03-09-2020, 05:41 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,720,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post

As confirmed by the CDC........56,000 per year or 4,666 per month die of the flu.
No one bats an eye. Most of you posters my age beat out a quarter million others
to still be alive today. No cure for the flu ......just a vaccine to stem the tides.

but you just said.. (see next post)

Old 03-09-2020, 05:43 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,720,591 times
Quote:
Opinion: anticipation of 65 million world wide............was the latest I researched.

this

Old 03-09-2020, 05:53 PM

5,147 posts, read 4,976,546 times
Quote:
Opinion: anticipation of 65 million world wide............was the latest I researched.
Quote:
And how many millions die from the flu each season? Meanwhile how many of you’s are freaking out over the flu?

I am not trying to downplay corona but at the same time the people acting like chickens running around with their heads chopped off like the post I responded to are just ridiculous.

He keeps harping on his anti-Trump rant but does not realize that we are a porous country with a tremendous amount of international movement of people. No amount of sealing the country up is going to keep any contagion completely out (especially one as easily transmissible as this one). Keeping this in mind, I think we are doing quite well relative to the other countries of the world.

Quote:
Quote:

Let me help you two, who are clearly lost in the woods, a little to get around with a better thinking.

You two basically are using one way of unnatural deaths to justify another way of unnatural deaths that could and should have been prevented in the first place, if we were under the right and competent leadership!! Just because your friend got killed by a thug doesn't make it right for you to be murdered by another savage...see the point?

When Mr orange man criticized obama admin for failing to protect Americans in the benghazi attack, I was fully behind him and thought what a great man he was!! After all, one life lost unduly is more than enough!!

Now under his watch, this corona virus successfully invaded the US and is going out of control and causing deaths despite a lot could and should have been learned while China was dealing with it!!! He could and should have done all the country can offer him to prevent and contain the virus outbreak to save God knows how many Americans who will eventually die by the end of May due to his denial and ignorance!!!

But in this situation, you die hard trump followers totally are more than willing to excuse/defend him and do not want to hold the command-in-chief accountable for all the lives that will be lost following this epidemic...double standard, anyhow??

You two need to reach out and feel if you still have your heart in the upper left side of chest!! As long as you will survive the "FLU", you don't care how the 2-5% dying and their families will deal with the devastation, do you???

Think about it, isn't it pathetic to think that "well, only 2% of those will die...the rest of us will recover"?? Do you realize how anti-human that is??

Does this help enlighten anything in any way??

Last edited by leoliu; 03-09-2020 at 06:01 PM..

Old 03-09-2020, 06:05 PM

3,073 posts, read 1,303,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
this virus is so contagious and spreading so fast that when a place becomes saturated even though many recover the deaths can start to accumulate
It's a dangerous situation because it can also mutate into deadlier forms
The corononavirus now has a death rate higher than the first wave of Spanish Flu
The first wave of the 1918 pandemic occurred in the spring and was generally mild. The sick, who experienced such typical flu symptoms as chills, fever and fatigue, usually recovered after several days, and the number of reported deaths was low. However, a second, highly contagious wave of influenza appeared with a vengeance in the fall of that same year. Victims died within hours or days of developing symptoms, their skin turning blue and their lungs filling with fluid that caused them to suffocate. In just one year, 1918, the average life expectancy in America plummeted by a dozen years.

So this first wave of Coronavirus has a higher death rate than the first wave of the Spanish Flu

However many mutations are common in viruses and are often not deadlier forms But as it stands a lot more our elderly people are probably going to die this year and younger people can infect them.
But not all will be elderly and there are younger adults who can get seriously ill and have their immune systems permanently damaged as well as people whole have preexisting lung conditions.

If 40% of the world got infected at the current 3.4% fatality rate millions could die
There is no comparison to the Spanish Flu as far as mutation. The Spanish Flu was H1N1. H1N1 probably has existed since the beginning of civilization and it occasionally mutates for short periods to more virulent variants like 1918 and 2009. COVID19 is a NEW virus that has likely only existed for 4-6 months. New viruses have a 1-2 decade generalized weakening through mutation in that 99% of mutations they undertake make them less virulent because the mutations complicate their genetic makeup and tend to take their R0 down. We already have evidence this mutated once and the 2nd version is not as potent. If it mutates again (which it will) and stats on Coronaviruses would suggest this mutates every 2-3 months it might virtually dissappear. This is EXACTLY what SARS did.

Old 03-09-2020, 06:05 PM

12,199 posts, read 7,230,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Let me help you two, who are clearly lost in the woods, a little to get around with a better thinking.

You two basically are using one way of unnatural deaths to justify another way of unnatural deaths that could and should have been prevented in the first place, if we were under the right and competent leadership!! Just because your friend got killed by a thug doesn't make it right for you to be murdered by another savage...see the point?

When Mr orange man criticized obama admin for failing to protect Americans in the benghazi attack, I was fully behind him and thought what a great man he was!! After all, one life lost unduly is more than enough!!

Now under his watch, this corona virus successfully invaded the US and is going out of control and causing deaths despite a lot could and should have been learned while China was dealing with it!!! He could and should have done all the country can offer him to prevent and contain the virus outbreak to save God knows how many Americans who will eventually die by the end of May due to his denial and ignorance!!!

But in this situation, you die hard trump followers totally are more than willing to excuse/defend him and do not want to hold the command-in-chief accountable for all the lives that will be lost following this epidemic...double standard, anyhow??

You two need to reach out and feel if you still have your heart in the upper left side of chest!! As long as you will survive the "FLU", you don't care how the 2-5% infected and their families will deal with the devastation, do you???

Think about it, isn't it pathetic to think that "well, only 2% of those will die...the rest of us will recover"?? Do you realize how anti-human that is??

Does this help enlighten anything in any way??
Competent leadership? Like who? Who do you have in mind? Please tell us who would have done any better?

China has a hard-line authoritarian regime and even they couldn’t contain this.

Once again, we are the most world wide interconnected country on earth. The movement of people in and out of this country is the most on earth. No president is going to completely shut down a country like ours (or even able to even if he could) and prevent every single person of coming in or out. Even if he did, can you imagine the public outcry, probably even from folks like you crying about overreacting and killing the country’s economy?

You are nothing but a second-guesser.

Old 03-09-2020, 06:06 PM

Here you go...god bless that our potus didn't dig a hole to bury himself..."never play with the fire...", as the saints have warned us all along!!

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...ta-tsr-vpx.cnn

Should Trump be worried about contracting virus?

Two congressmen announced they would self-quarantine after coming in contact with a person diagnosed with the novel coronavirus. These include Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) who recently rode on Air Force One and Rep. Doug Collins who shook President Trump's hand on Friday.

Old 03-09-2020, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Competent leadership? Like who? Who do you have in mind? Please tell us who would have done any better?

China has a hard-line authoritarian regime and even they couldn’t contain this.

Once again, we are the most world wide interconnected country on earth. The movement of people in and out of this country is the most on earth. No president is going to completely shut down a country like ours (or even able to even if he could) and prevent every single person of coming in or out. Even if he did, can you imagine the public outcry, probably even from folks like you crying about overreacting and killing the country’s economy?

Shutting down is not the only way to prevent and contain the outbreak...stop using insane excuses to support your argument.

The president was in total denial for a long time and mocked and laughed at people who warn against the outbreak...that set the correct stage to contract and spread the virus within the US.

If you don't get it from my pink post above, I have run out of tricks to help you!!

Old 03-09-2020, 06:19 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,332,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
For people who like to live in reality, China has already peaked and is way down. The US (NY Especially) will soon follow and will peak as well, with much lower numbers

Read here: Coronavirus going to hit its peak and start falling sooner than you think
https://nypost.com/2020/03/08/corona...han-you-think/

Excerpt:
China is the origin of the virus and still accounts for over 80 percent of cases and deaths. But its cases peaked and began *declining more than a month ago, according to data presented by the Canadian epidemiologist who spearheaded the World Health Organization’s coronavirus mission to China. Fewer than 200 new cases are reported daily, down from a peak of 4,000.

Subsequent countries will follow this same pattern, in what’s called Farr’s Law. First formulated in 1840 and ignored in *every epidemic hysteria since, the law states that epidemics tend to rise and fall in a roughly symmetrical pattern or bell-shaped curve. AIDS, SARS, Ebola — they all followed that pattern. So does seasonal flu each year.

Clearly, flu is vastly more contagious than the new coronavirus, as the WHO has noted. Consider that the first known coronavirus cases date back to early December, and since then, the virus has *afflicted fewer people in total than flu does in a few days. Oh, and why are there no flu quarantines? Because it’s so contagious, it would be impossible.
That last paragraph needs to be emphasized. It only seems to be so contagious because every single case and death gets reported by the media. If the same was done for the flu, it would put things in perspective just how many people the flu infects and kills.

Coronavirus is new and that makes it scary. People aren’t scared of the flu because it’s been around for ages and pretty much everyone has caught it at one point in their lives. That said, I don’t want to get Coronavirus (because , let’s face it even when you get a mild flu or a minor cold, it sucks). Add to that the hysteria requires quarantine which would make it a miserable few weeks.

That said, I’m still going about my business as normal but more diligent with hand washings and I am very conscious of not touching my face without clean hands. I also have my travel sized hand sanitizer strapped to my purse at all times now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City