Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2020, 04:10 AM

5,805 posts, read 2,930,663 times

Advertisements

Commute to work is so nice. Streets in city are on a normal level, not crowded. It’s like things should be.
A bit less population looks fantastic to be honest.

Perhaps this is where the tide rolls back.

Old 03-10-2020, 06:08 AM

515 posts, read 525,134 times
I have been extremely confused with this whole virus situation.
One side says it’s not worse than the flu and it’s mainly bad on people with prior medical conditions and the elderly. Then on the other side of this NYS’s government officials are saying it’s not that bad don’t worry but then are doing things that don’t add up to the whole don’t panic this isn’t as serious as we think it is agenda. Officials seem to be frantic and that scares me. All these officials are treating this virus like something serious if it wasn’t why are they in the news everyday making some new report?

I wish the media could speak with more people with no prior conditions who have the virus. I posted a link for a NJ patient who has spoken out about have the virus.
Take what you want from it but for me it sounds like something I definitely do not want to have.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/09/new-je...e%20hotel/amp/

Old 03-10-2020, 07:16 AM

61 posts, read 39,120 times
A virus is a virus - you never want to catch a virus.

Old 03-10-2020, 07:25 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,264,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimilove View Post
One side says it’s not worse than the flu and it’s mainly bad on people with prior medical conditions and the elderly. Then on the other side of this NYS’s government officials are saying it’s not that bad don’t worry but then are doing things that don’t add up to the whole don’t panic this isn’t as serious as we think it is agenda. Officials seem to be frantic and that scares me. All these officials are treating this virus like something serious if it wasn’t why are they in the news everyday making some new report?

I wish the media could speak with more people with no prior conditions who have the virus. I posted a link for a NJ patient who has spoken out about have the virus.
Take what you want from it but for me it sounds like something I definitely do not want to have.

They are still learning about it. At this point, it seems that the majority of experts -- and I use that term lightly -- agree that COVID-19 is worse than the regular flu. For those who actually get sick, you'll have respiratory issues in addition to normal flu symptoms.

However, it's not SYFY channel level disease where civilization will end--like some people are claiming (hoping for) in the survival forum.

One of the issues in the U.S. is that most sick people just aren't being tested. There was an article in NY Times yesterday where a lady showing symptoms consistent with this thing was denied a test several times. It seems like the idea is to not test, and therefore they can keep the infected numbers down and ease public concern.

Old 03-10-2020, 08:08 AM

2,071 posts, read 2,208,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimilove View Post

Because it has become politicized like everything else, cuomo s on team blue. Creating hysteria will damage team red directly, and indirectly via economy

Old 03-10-2020, 08:19 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
The Port Authority Chief just tested positive for Coronavirus.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...3vy-story.html

That is a SCREAM.

Old 03-10-2020, 08:32 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Who cares if the flu is deadlier...so far? Of what conceivable consequence is that?

BTW, Covid has ALREADY mutated...there are two strains.

Old 03-10-2020, 09:20 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
They are still learning about it. At this point, it seems that the majority of experts -- and I use that term lightly -- agree that COVID-19 is worse than the regular flu. For those who actually get sick, you'll have respiratory issues in addition to normal flu symptoms.

However, it's not SYFY channel level disease where civilization will end--like some people are claiming (hoping for) in the survival forum.

One of the issues in the U.S. is that most sick people just aren't being tested. There was an article in NY Times yesterday where a lady showing symptoms consistent with this thing was denied a test several times. It seems like the idea is to not test, and therefore they can keep the infected numbers down and ease public concern.
The part about not testing to keep the numbers down just sounds like unsubstantiated rumors gone awry. The fact is that this thing is very new and likely we don’t have enough tests and labs up and running yet to handle everyone that wants to get tested.

Old 03-10-2020, 09:20 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Heather Cox Richardson, a historian, usually has a pretty solid take on what's going on. I follow her on Facebook (just type in her name in search box) or if no FB, you can sign up for her newsletters. https://heathercoxrichardson.substac...OMQL2rOlgjjo6Y

This is her view on coronavirus and why it's seen as a national emergency:

"My overall impression of today was that people are frightened and rudderless because of the confusion and lack of information and professional advice coming from the administration. While I am not a doctor or an epidemiologist, what I read suggests that our main goal as a nation right now is to slow down the spread of Covid-19 so that the number of serious cases stays within the capacity of medical professionals to handle them. To that end, we all owe it to each other to do everything we can to try not to spread the virus."

Old 03-10-2020, 09:21 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
The part about not testing to keep the numbers down just sounds like unsubstantiated rumors gone awry. The fact is that this thing is very new and likely we don’t have enough tests and labs up and running yet to handle everyone that wants to get tested.
Right - we don't have enough tests and there is absolutely no excuse for that. We've known about this illness and how serious it is since early January, more than two months. And other countries such as South Korea have had absolutely no problem with coming up with enough tests for their people. This is a huge failure on the US's part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City