Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2020, 10:13 AM

37,105 posts, read 41,267,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
I'll be honest I'm not watching the video. I won't watch videos the op posts.
Does it say how she can afford the rent of the store being a 16 year old?

She earned the money by doing hair and nails.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2020, 12:03 PM

5,683 posts, read 2,612,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
She earned the money by doing hair and nails.
Thank you. Love to hear smart people that make investments in themselves.

Old 09-18-2020, 12:23 PM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times
And while this young woman's level of achievement is indeed exceptional for a 16 year old (of any gender or race), the general principle of it is (or should be) normal and unexceptional for any 16 year old (of any gender or race). Only a very rare 16 year old can open their own business, and only a certain percent of them have mental capability to start preparing for a high-level occupation. But every 16 year old should gain some experience of earning something by doing something, and should be preparing for some kind of occupation - THAT should be normal. Having a child or two, and preparing to live on handouts for the rest of life should NOT be normal for any 16 year old, not even in the most backwards place on the planet, let alone in NYC.

Old 09-18-2020, 12:24 PM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Good for her! Hopefully she succeeds as she is a great example to a community that needs hood examples.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-18-2020, 12:31 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
More teens should become entrepreneurs than become subscribers of our expensive education system. You'll never be rich working for somebody else.

Old 09-18-2020, 01:01 PM

5,683 posts, read 2,612,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
More teens should become entrepreneurs than become subscribers of our expensive education system. You'll never be rich working for somebody else.
Really cause I many people who work for major companies that make millions a year

Old 09-18-2020, 02:11 PM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times
A huge part of the problem with ghetto mentality is that ghetto people expect to be either mindblowingly successful or on welfare. If they don't have it in them to be a hiphop superstar, or an entrepreneur, or a pedi ortho surgeon, ie, if they do not have a major talent, then they don't want to put any effort into doing anything at all. Then they just want handouts.

The reality is that the great majority of people are not tremendously talented, the great majority are just average. And average people should be taking care of their own life and their own families by working in a less demanding occupation for an average pay. All teenage kids should realize that is what they are expected to be doing: preparing for self-sufficiency in a few years. There is no excuse of any kind for not preparing for that as a teenager.

Old 09-18-2020, 02:16 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Really cause I many people who work for major companies that make millions a year
Sure, what's the % of that. Plus, I don't want to make a million in salary.

Old 09-18-2020, 05:56 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,366,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zLHUPtr0qg

I'm glad some good things are going on
Thanks...I really needed something positive. Absolutely amazing.

Old 09-18-2020, 09:35 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
stop with Klan-like the racist BS,
this had nothing to do with the BLM

is that all you think about?
If we consider the trends that have been going on, my statement is quite probable. MSM has even been encouraging it lately

https://nymag.com/strategist/article...port-shop.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
She earned the money to start the store and learned how to run it at her mother's knee.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/on-air/as...iness/2608270/

She's intelligent, makes good grades, and, unless she changes her mind, I expect her to achieve her goal of attending medical school.

Girl Power!
Yeh sure by what, selling girl scout cookies? Give me a break. Article says she worked at her mom's, and is 16. So at most she was working since what 13. That is three years. Mother paid daughter enough in three years to start own business. Unless you think she was working since she was 4 years old.

LOLZ this is all contrived. If the mother had not paid her daughter, she could just open another branch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This is more common than people may realize: https://blackdemographics.com/econom...ed-businesses/

From the site based upon 2012 information: "Among cities, New York City had the most black-owned businesses, with 250,890 (9.7 percent of all the nation’s black-owned businesses), followed by Atlanta. Among the nation’s 50 most populous cities, black or African American-owned firms as a percentage of all firms was highest in Detroit and Memphis, Tenn., in 2012 (77.0 percent and 56.2 percent, respectively)."
I like to see a list, and what kind of business. This sounds too good to be true, above 250K. Even when I go into mainly black areas, most of the brick and mortar are owned by chinese, or Middle Easterner. 250K white collar office businesses is too much. Are the delivery truck drivers like for Amazon or UPS independent contractors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
But what are they going to open? Brick and Mortar? Any white collar office business is going to need a degree, and that market can become saturated quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City