Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2020, 12:13 PM

34,098 posts, read 47,316,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
No, nothing I said magnifies your argument that England had set up the USA for making money, and therefore even crime makes money here. I pointed out that England had set up Singapore also for making money (and even much more so than the USA, which was actually also set up for people who wanted to escape religious persecution... no such thing in Singapore, a city-state which was actually set up expressly and solely for making money) - yet, crime does not make money in Singapore, it makes the basis for caning and capital punishment (with the result that crime is nearly completely extinct in Singapore).
Singapore was not founded on "religious persecution." America was founded on rebellion, not on cohesion. Doomed from the start.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-03-2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
If you consider money a form of barter in a mutually supporting and mutually competing group (where every individual is naturally trying to maximize his/her own resources), then every human society and a variety of animal societies have been literally built to make some eqivalent of money. But all societies on this planet that have virtually no crime are the societies where punishments for crime are high enough to deter crime.

Speaking of Singapore, it was indeed also built by the English, and it was built as a trading port - so, with a very clear purpose to make money. So? If anything, their strict law enforcement ensures that the money is being made in orderly lawful ways, and in safe pleasant surroundings.

Btw, Singapore is very diverse. The Chinese population is dominant, but Tamil Indian and Malayan populations (that are both very dark skinned) are quite large as well, and Westerners are numerous as well, though they mostly tend to be non-permanent. The genetic mixture of the Chinese and Malays is also very prevalent, actually probably the second most numerous population after the Chinese. Plus millions of tourists from everywhere. But the city is safer than safe, at all times of day and night.
Meh

I can't post it here, but there's a nice thread on Reddit about racism in Singapore.

Old 10-03-2020, 12:19 PM

8,382 posts, read 4,401,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
You still don't get the way this country operates.

I obviously do, since I did reasonably alright for myself in this country :-).

You are the one who doesn't get how everything operates: if you hunt something down, it becomes extinct; if you let it be (or even encourage it by finding excuses for it), it grows and multiplies. The only way to end crime is to hunt it down.

Last edited by elnrgby; 10-03-2020 at 12:50 PM..

Old 10-03-2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Singapore was not founded on "religious persecution." America was founded on rebellion, not on cohesion. Doomed from the start.

Dude, can't you read? I did not say Singapore was founded on religious persecution - I specifically said that it was NOT founded on that, it was founded only and solely on trading, ie, on money.

I said that the US was founded partly as a refuge from religious persecution, which is certainly correct. Haven't you heard of Pilgrims and Quakers pretty early in the history of the US, and in a more recent history Jewish folks from everywhere? And after all, even myself - a person for whom escaping religious persecution was the main, the absolute main reason (with all other possible reasons very, VERY far behind it) for settling in the US?

Old 10-03-2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:
I obviously do, since I did reasonably alrigjt for myself in this country :-).

You are the one who doesn't get how everything operates: if you hunt something down, it becomes extinct; if you let it be (or even encourage it by finding excuses for it), it grows and multiplies. The only way to end crime is to hunt it down.
I mean if money is the only barometer for your life success then by all means

However, the current climate is how it works here

You want excuses, there are none, everything is laid in front of you clear as day.

Geneva Switzerland just raised their minimum wage to like 50K a year

More your speed.

Old 10-03-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Dude, can't you read? I did not say Singapore was founded on religious persecution - I specifically said that it was NOT founded on that, it was founded only and solely on trading, ie, on money.

I said that the US was founded partly as a refuge from religious persecution, which is certainly correct. Haven't you heard of Pilgrims and Quakers pretty early in the history of the US, and in a more recent history Jewish folks from everywhere? And after all, even myself - a person for whom escaping religious persecution was the main, the absolute main reason (with all other possible reasons very, VERY far behind it) for settling in the US?
Tiger City, I know

But you're attempting to compare a majorily homogenous Asian city-state to a city on the planet that speaks 800 languages.

Old 10-03-2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Meh

I can't post it here, but there's a nice thread on Reddit about racism in Singapore.

Have you been to Singapore? I have. It is a totally equal-opportunity place, very modern, with a high standard of living for everyone. Racism in Singapore is a private thing between certain individuals, but it isn't (and it actually never was) officially sanctioned in any way. There are relatively fewer Malays in upper-level professions, but there are some, and they are not prohibited (and never were) from seeking careers (while following the same educational steps and social rules as everyone else) if that is what they want. I just mentioned that there has historically been extensive intermarriage between the Chinese (who are on the top of economic hierarchy) and Malays (who are on the bottom). Their mixed-race offspring are called Peranakans, and some of them are actually among the most privileged old Singaporean families of traders.

Old 10-03-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Tiger City, I know

But you're attempting to compare a majorily homogenous Asian city-state to a city on the planet that speaks 800 languages.

Okay, in one post you argue that Singapore is somehow rife with racism, and in the very next post that it is majorly homogeneous. It can't be both :-).

Singapore is not homogeneous at all. Yes, the Chinese, Tamil and Malays are all Asians, but the concept of "Asia" is a human construct, while these three populations (that developed in very different parts of a huge landmass that encompasses 1/3 of the planet) are genetically very different, look very different, and come from very different cultures.

The fact that there are 800 languages spoken in NYC has nothing to do with crime. Per NYPD database, there are only about 2,000 people in NYC who repeatedly commit most of the crime. I am pretty sure at least 95% of them speak only two languages, ie, either English or Spanish :-). I think the speakers of the other 798 languages in NYC contribute pretty minimally to the NYC crime statistics.

Old 10-03-2020, 03:35 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,482,861 times
Quote:
I like America. I have food, shelter, running water that I can drink from the tap, and a toilet. That's more than most people have.

I am rich.

Old 10-03-2020, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
I like America. I have food, shelter, running water that I can drink from the tap, and a toilet. That's more than most people have.

I am rich.
Aww man LoL

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City