Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2021, 12:05 PM

43,710 posts, read 44,473,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Maybe Ridgewood in Queens would be to your liking.

It's mostly 3 story walk up buildings which is perfect since you can be in a walkup but won't have to worry about walking up more than 3 flights of steps.

It won't be 100% ideal for your commute, but I personally wouldn't mind it.
Ridgewood or the nearby neighborhood of Glendale.

Also Queens neighborhoods along the E subway line might have some suitable housing stock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2021, 12:42 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,609,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Ridgewood or the nearby neighborhood of Glendale.

Also Queens neighborhoods along the E subway line might have some suitable housing stock.
I was gonna mention Glendale too but it might fall a little short of the urban vibe she wants since it's mostly twin houses. Still worth checking out, though.

And agreed about the E train, which would be good too because the E stops by her job.

Old 01-24-2021, 01:07 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,877,833 times
Cobble Hill/Boerum Hill... I think that general part of Brooklyn would be good. Maybe down to Park Slope if you don't mind the longer commute.

Old 01-24-2021, 05:31 PM

11 posts, read 5,798 times
Thanks so much everyone. I'll be taking a look at all the suggestions!

Old 01-24-2021, 06:05 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,663,044 times
Chinatown?

Old 01-24-2021, 06:48 PM

9,209 posts, read 6,230,451 times
"As a side note, I'm also looking for information on art and music schools for my child at middle and high level."

As usual, New York has the best: The Julliard School. They have programs for exceptional students from elementary grades through high school. https://www.juilliard.edu/school/preparatory-division

New York City public school system also has competitive public high schools requiring auditions. One of those is the Fiorello H. LaGuardia High School of Music & Art and Performing Arts. This is located on the upper west side of Manhattan. https://www.schools.nyc.gov/schools/M485; https://www.laguardiahs.org/

Old 01-24-2021, 07:31 PM

3,151 posts, read 2,745,180 times
It's a bit of a longer commute (though direct and you can usually get a seat getting on in FiDi), but I would consider the UWS close to the 2/3. That would have you closer to Juilliard, if your child is that caliber of musician. Plenty of reasonably-priced walk-up apartments in brownstones. Active city life but not obnoxious nightlife, which is a feature of many downtown neighborhoods. Definitely manageable without a car. The places further out in Queens some people are recommending tend to be more suburban in feel, although of course micro-neighborhoods do vary.

Fortunately, the majority of subway lines do pass through the WTC area, so you have a wide range of choices.

Old 01-24-2021, 09:06 PM

644 posts, read 307,947 times
FYI, dollars to donuts, middle school will be closed in the spring, and no one really knows how much (whether) it will be open in fall. I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet. Are you ready for that? If you can find a place outside the city with schools currently open, that's worth looking into.

Frankly if you hadn't said you've already found a job here my advice would be DON'T MOVE HERE!!!

Old 01-24-2021, 09:15 PM

565 posts, read 362,598 times
Don't listen to the posters saying Queens. You won't find the "city" life that you, as a transient white collar, is looking for. And I'm from Queens, so I know what I'm talking about. With the exception of LIC (very expensive), the rest of Queens is either bridge n tunnel (like me), young kids who are broke and 3rd world immigrants.

Stay downtown in Manhattan. You'll be fine there. However there is no safe areas of NYC left. Real talk.

Old 01-25-2021, 05:05 AM

43,710 posts, read 44,473,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensGuy72 View Post
Don't listen to the posters saying Queens. You won't find the "city" life that you, as a transient white collar, is looking for. And I'm from Queens, so I know what I'm talking about. With the exception of LIC (very expensive), the rest of Queens is either bridge n tunnel (like me), young kids who are broke and 3rd world immigrants.

Stay downtown in Manhattan. You'll be fine there. However there is no safe areas of NYC left. Real talk.
I disagree with your assessment of Queens. Austin Street (with its shops and restaurants) in Forest Hills near the 71st/Continential Avenue express E train (which goes to the WTC) definitely is middle class (meaning one rarely see 3rd world immigrants or young kids who are broke in the area as this isn't really an affordable area for them). Forest Hills also has good schools. It is also a relatively safe area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City