Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2021, 05:29 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,623,234 times

Advertisements

I’m not arguing with you at all. It’s your choice how you want to live, of course. But why in the world someone would prefer a walk-up building over a modern high-rise or mid-rise is beyond me. Living in NYC is tough enough without having to carry groceries, laundry, and furniture up several flights of stairs. Then, since walk-ups in NYC tend to be old, especially in Manhattan, you would probably have fire escapes outside your window and run the risk of actually having to use them if there is a blaze. Or having an intruder climb in. Plus fire escapes are unsightly.

Last edited by macnyc2003; 01-25-2021 at 05:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2021, 06:45 AM

11 posts, read 5,807 times
@Lillie767, thanks for the school recommendations. I do know of Juilliard but will look into the public options. Kid is not at that level yet.
@Queensguy72, thanks for your thoughts. It all helps me figure this out.
@macnyc2003, I've actually been looking into this more and think a 6 plus story building will be a better option or a high rise. I've lived in high rises before and they have everything but the character is missing. The safety issue is definitely high on my priority list due to the kid.

Any thoughts on pre-war, 6 plus stories versus high rises?

Old 01-25-2021, 07:05 AM

1,063 posts, read 553,638 times
Bay Ridge in southwest Brooklyn. One seat ride to the WTC area on the R train. [You will read that it is slow. It is not slow. It is a local, makes many stops, gets in and out of each quickly, it goes as fast as it can.] Also has express bus service to Manhattan.Safe middle and working class area with many four and six story buildings, some with elevators, some without. Nice 2-story library. Many restaurants of varied ethnicities on 3rd Avenue. Schools are crowded but regarded as good. Lots of parkland. If you need more urban grunginess you can visit Sunset Park just to the north.

Last edited by Dehumidifier; 01-25-2021 at 07:13 AM..

Old 01-25-2021, 07:30 AM

6,223 posts, read 3,622,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
It's a bit of a longer commute (though direct and you can usually get a seat getting on in FiDi), but I would consider the UWS close to the 2/3. That would have you closer to Juilliard, if your child is that caliber of musician. Plenty of reasonably-priced walk-up apartments in brownstones. Active city life but not obnoxious nightlife, which is a feature of many downtown neighborhoods. Definitely manageable without a car. The places further out in Queens some people are recommending tend to be more suburban in feel, although of course micro-neighborhoods do vary.

Fortunately, the majority of subway lines do pass through the WTC area, so you have a wide range of choices.
There is nothing suburban about Ridgewood, it is pretty similar to Bushwick.

Old 01-25-2021, 08:37 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,780,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanview20 View Post
7. NJ is not an option
Lol, everyone that says this ended up in NJ eventually. Your income will get hurt badly by taxes and cost of living in NYC.

Old 01-25-2021, 11:22 AM

295 posts, read 282,645 times
Quote:
As a side note, I'm also looking for information on art and music schools for my child at middle and high level.
Besides LaGuardia there's Frank Sinatra in Astoria Queens. LaGuardia is HUGE (3011 students vs. 853 at Sinatra). Well funded, though. Of course students have to be talented, but LaGuardia is also really big on grades for getting in.

LaGuardia also has some sports teams, if that's important.

Professional Performing Arts School in Hell's Kitchen has a middle school as well as High school. Mostly drama, Musical theater, dance, and classical vocal (no instrumental). It's set up so there's the 'base' school on 48th street and then depending on their specialty, students go to outside schools (for instance dancers can go to Alvin Ailey or School of American Ballet). It's also tiny compared to LaGuardia.

Talent Unlimited (has an instrumental program) and High School of Art and Design are on the East Side.

Old 01-25-2021, 02:26 PM

11 posts, read 5,807 times
Thanks for the school recommendations, awesome!

Old 01-25-2021, 02:41 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,619,817 times
Quote:
Any thoughts on pre-war, 6 plus stories versus high rises?
Many pre-war walkups will have steam radiator heat - Google search can provide enough stories on that. You might be opening every window to stay cool in the middle of winter. Also pre-war may not have the plumbing to allow modern appliances like a dishwasher.

The advantage is walkups tend to a MUCH cheaper than new high rises and walls may be thicker when it comes to noise between apartments.

Old 01-25-2021, 02:48 PM

6,223 posts, read 3,622,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
Many pre-war walkups will have steam radiator heat - Google search can provide enough stories on that. You might be opening every window to stay cool in the middle of winter. Also pre-war may not have the plumbing to allow modern appliances like a dishwasher.

The advantage is walkups tend to a MUCH cheaper than new high rises and walls may be thicker when it comes to noise between apartments.
Prewar can mean anything from an 1890 Beaux Art walkup to a 1941 Art Deco elevator building, something to keep in mind

Old 01-25-2021, 03:43 PM

5,206 posts, read 4,685,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I disagree with your assessment of Queens. Austin Street (with its shops and restaurants) in Forest Hills near the 71st/Continential Avenue express E train (which goes to the WTC) definitely is middle class (meaning one rarely see 3rd world immigrants or young kids who are broke in the area as this isn't really an affordable area for them). Forest Hills also has good schools. It is also a relatively safe area.
Forest Hills is extra safe and very kid friendly. However, it doesn't feel anything like Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City