Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2021, 11:16 AM

19,099 posts, read 14,068,936 times

Advertisements

Absolutely not, and more because of the legal ramifications SHE and her ilk have ensured someone who looks like me will face, even if intervening against a 100% clear cut crime in progress. The original instigator will absolutely face less punishment than I will as a vigilante.

I wouldn't consider for even one second risking myself to stop a crime in NYC. In fact, in my recent subway travels for my new job, I've seen many. I either walk away or cautiously observe to judge whether I need to take defensive actions.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2021, 11:17 AM

1,399 posts, read 896,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
For once I agree with this woman. If you see some animal attacking someone unprovoked you should try to help the victim, if possible. There are just way too many angry and deranged people on the streets just looking for an altercation. These sick bastards need to be taught a lesson. Maybe a pipe across the face would teach them a lesson.
Lose my life or even worse, get labeled a racist....no thanks. Unless you're attacking friends or family, I'll keep it moving.

Old 03-08-2021, 12:10 PM

11,201 posts, read 9,125,763 times
That is a dangerous proposal. What happens if the good Samaritan is injured will the city provided a nice lump sum? Or what if the good Samaritan kills the perp - is it a guaranteed "get of out jail card!"?

People are way too crazy. Soccer kicking a person when they are KO on the ground, people getting KOed and their head bouncing on concrete, etc.

The best thing a person can do is get to a safe place, call 911, video tape the incident if possible and try to get their faces and license plates.

Maybe all JHS and HS should teach martial arts as a 4 year core.

Old 03-08-2021, 12:11 PM

2,099 posts, read 1,146,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llol45519 View Post
Lose my life or even worse, get labeled a racist....no thanks. Unless you're attacking friends or family, I'll keep it moving.
Yes, the horror. What could be worse than dying? Being labeled a racist. Lol

Old 03-08-2021, 12:22 PM

1,063 posts, read 555,167 times
Perp says "He/she used the n word!" Next thing you know there is a BLM mob outside your house including the perp who is free because of the city's catch and release plan.

Old 03-08-2021, 12:31 PM

9,209 posts, read 6,312,677 times
Where's Bernhard Goetz? Your city needs you. The mayor's wife has asked private citizens to intervene if they see a crime or harassment.

You don't have to be worried that you'll be arrested for attempted murder like you were last time. The mayor and his wife are fully behind private citizens stopping crime on their own. So, I'm pretty sure they won't send you to jail again. But you still may be sued for millions like you were in 1996.

So, people, come on. Protect your city from them.

Old 03-08-2021, 12:36 PM

3,402 posts, read 3,590,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Honestly that's the smart thing to do. I came across a thug wailing on an old homeless guy last summer, I wasn't going to jump in and get a knife or a gun pulled on me. If I were younger and armed maybe, but not with a family at home depending on me no way
Brutal but honest answer.

Old 03-08-2021, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Absolutely not, and more because of the legal ramifications SHE and her ilk have ensured someone who looks like me will face, even if intervening against a 100% clear cut crime in progress. The original instigator will absolutely face less punishment than I will as a vigilante.

I wouldn't consider for even one second risking myself to stop a crime in NYC. In fact, in my recent subway travels for my new job, I've seen many. I either walk away or cautiously observe to judge whether I need to take defensive actions.
Very true! Reality check.

Old 03-08-2021, 12:40 PM

This whole proposal makes no sense. Why would they tie police officers hands, then tell citizen to have their own enforcement by helping others?

Leave the police work to the police. Don’t try to be a hero when you are just an ordinary person. Unless you are trained like navy seal or some kind of military training, there is simply no way for an ordinary citizen to intervene without getting hurt.

Old 03-08-2021, 12:47 PM

1,399 posts, read 896,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOORGONG View Post
Yes, the horror. What could be worse than dying? Being labeled a racist. Lol
Woosh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: