Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 01:24 PM

544 posts, read 1,237,166 times

Advertisements

not sure if this is wrong or right? moved in bout a little over a month ago. everything was fine w/ next door neighbors until the music blasting. We share a common wall. specifically my daughter's bedroom. this wall streches from front door all the way to the back of apt where her bdr is. Spoke w/ the super who spoke with them. This music started on a Monday night like a party was going on. I taped it on my phone. You could hear the music from the hallway. Our doors are literally right next to each other. Not an inch of space in between. I pounded on the walls, noise got louder. Anywho, the super spoke with them. Claims it was the son. Father said he'd speak w/ him. Long story short, still going on. This past monday. i pounded on the wall. It seems the father is off on mondays hence the music, so says the wife who knocked on my door after i pounded on the wall. My 8 yr old needs to go to bed. were up by 6 am. I explained this to her. nothing has changed, they play music all week and weekends. Yesterday started at 8 am. During the week their supposed to cut off by 10 pm. I've documented everything. music stops around 12 am sometimes. The bass is pissing me off. after numerous calls to office and 311, the volume has been toned down considerably. the bass? omg. so i went on ebay , purchased a sonet qt machine for my daughter's room. positioned both speakers against this common wall. My question is will they hear it? i noticed someone hammering on the side of this wall yesterday. I just put these speakers up yesterday. I put my ear to the wall and it's like someone was trying to pin something on the wall. Oh yea, were on the first floor with bedrooms facing the street. Both bedrooms, so we hear everything. This idiot and his son blast everything from jazz to rap all times of day. This room is their living room and there is no ac in there, i know this by the open window when i'm coming in. My daughter can finally sleep in her room now, but i'm wondering if this whooshing noise bothers them and if they possibly can hear it on their side? their bass is loud enough to vibrate our common wall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 01:34 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,131,647 times
I say too bad if they can hear it since you certainly can hear them.
You didn't state how you came to rent that apartment but if it was through an agent I would certainly call to let them know they mispresented the apartment as some states have laws of peaceful enjoyment, which your neighbor isn't adhering to. You can call the Department in your city or state that regulates rental laws to inquire about peaceful enjoyment and also if there are disclosure laws concerning renting with adverse conditions.
If you did use some kind of real estate agent and there are disclosure laws I would make that agent move me to another apartment.

Old 08-05-2012, 02:01 PM

Default here temp

i'm here temp, while my old apt is being renovated. This company took over a lot of bldgs on my block and they've put me up here while they fix my bldg. coincidentally, their going to fix up this bldg also, so everyone in this bldg will be relocating just like i did. Hopefully they will be relocating them in the winter, once my bldg is done, i go back. Neighbr claimed they didn't know anyone was in this apt, so they blasted music, mind you they have upstairs and downstairs neighbors. everytime it's past 10 my cell is in my hand with a reference number. 311 i think is useless, cops never call or come see on this side of apt. Not even sure they show up. Report says they do. These are people that listen to music all day, no tv , no reading, not an hour, but all day. That's all they do. It's to the point where i have my cell on video mode when i get home in case there's a confration. I've knocked several times. Just so pissed off i don't think and just knock on their door like a crazy person. The son i'm sure doesn't work so he just doesn't give a damn. The father works from 6 pm up until midnight i think, so when he's gone..well it's party time. then when the father is off, it's party time again. Not to mention the smell animal urine coming under my side in the hallway. No pets allowed, but someone either has a dog or cat. No barking. so i'm assuming a cat. I'm tired of the midnight bbq's and parties in the parking lot across the street. I'm surrounded by noise. if i go in the living room, back there, the whole block is lined up with car alarm, car stereo installing shops. Then there's a neighbor in the next bldg, can't pinpoint who plays salsa, pounding music all night, waaay past 11. My floors vibrate. The office sent them two notices already. Then a third this past week, so the office was annoyed with me. had to find a reliable source in the office besides this other person. so they have a week to respond to this letter. we'll see

Old 08-05-2012, 03:18 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
You should be fine with the white noise machine. I have one (had it for years) and no one ever hears it. I have a problem with the lady above me, some days I wish I could just tape the white noise machine to the ceiling.

Old 08-05-2012, 03:53 PM

Default white noise machines addictive?

the speakers came w/ velcro so they can be attached to any surface. I just don't want to get used to this machine. Does anyone have or have had a white noise machine a long time and have needed it to get to bed?

Old 08-05-2012, 03:57 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
That is pretty much me, when I stay at someones apt for the night I lay in bed and feel something is missing and then I realize I miss the white noise.

Can I ask what model you got? That seems nice with speakers and perhaps may work for the lady above me.

Last edited by livingsinglenyc; 08-05-2012 at 03:59 PM.. Reason: ?

Old 08-05-2012, 04:11 PM

Sonet APS Personal Sound Masking System This retails for about 200.00, but i purchased two for about 30.00 each.

Old 08-05-2012, 04:13 PM

it sounds like an ac, comes w/ two speakers, generally used for offices, but can be used in homes too. The sound is adjustable. We both sleep peacefully even with the windows open and a fan. As soon as i hear music next door, i crank up the volume. I'm sure they are looking for the source of the sound. Yesterday i put my ear up to the wall and someone's hand or something was going all over the wall. Nailing something. If they had punched the wall, i woulda caught that punch . If you need the ebay seller info, let me know

Old 08-07-2012, 05:19 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
They won't notice the sound of white noise.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:37 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,904,476 times
This story is great.

The OP pounded on the walls as soon as she heard the loud music. She complained to the super, 311, the cops, before speaking directly to the neighbors?
Anybody having the same problem, take note; this is the perfect way to escalate any animosities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City