Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2021, 11:00 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,773,686 times

Advertisements

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...o8luvBmdClHbm0

https://www.ny1.com/content/dam/News...April_2021.pdf

It’s been a brutal year for New York City: The COVID-19 pandemic has resulted in more than 32,000 deaths. The local economy tanked, and crime spiked. And most New Yorkers don’t see good times ahead.

47% of New Yorkers say they’re optimistic about city’s future; 22% are pessimistic, and 26% said neither

54% say they feel less safe than a year ago, and only half are comfortable riding mass transit

A plurality, 46%, don’t believe the NYPD is well run, but 38% want to increase its budget, vs. 32% who want to divert funding

65% see a future for themselves in the city, versus 26% who don’t
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2021, 11:30 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,370,123 times
So has anything actually changed in comparison to other years? I mean significantly? I'm so lazy to read the article lol.

Old 04-24-2021, 08:06 AM

1,428 posts, read 728,399 times
I have zero faith in this country's future, especially NYC's.

Old 04-24-2021, 08:31 AM

1,035 posts, read 674,476 times
I am skeptical about the poll; it's based on 100% online response, with majority of the response classified as 'opt-in'. They don't explain what this means, so I am assuming that it means a proactive voluntary participation. People who WANT their voice heard are people who tend to have stronger positions on a spectrum.

When you base an entire poll on online response, I think it's biased as it does not capture a large segment of 'tech-challenged' population.

Old 04-24-2021, 08:43 AM

8,697 posts, read 11,089,464 times
Fake polls

Old 04-24-2021, 09:10 AM

1,034 posts, read 447,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speediestevie View Post
I am skeptical about the poll; it's based on 100% online response, with majority of the response classified as 'opt-in'. They don't explain what this means, so I am assuming that it means a proactive voluntary participation. People who WANT their voice heard are people who tend to have stronger positions on a spectrum.

When you base an entire poll on online response, I think it's biased as it does not capture a large segment of 'tech-challenged' population.
So you think poorer and older NYCers (aka tech challenged) have a more.optimistic outlook? Lol

If anything, this poll is skewed towards optimistic responses.

I'm so baffled by people's thought process at times.

Old 04-24-2021, 09:19 AM

37,161 posts, read 39,451,107 times
Definitely feel a lot better now than I did a year ago. Last April was bananas with bodies liquefying in vans because there were too many to bury and cremate and there was a lot of uncertainty about how things were going to pan out. I think maybe a better polling point would have been January or February pre-pandemic.

Old 04-24-2021, 09:39 AM

8,936 posts, read 4,773,686 times
I don't feel better nor worse just...weary. Last year, I was just in survival mode. Head down and getting things done. This year not so much but now I'm impatient and slightly anxious about the health of NYC's economy and apprehensive about random street/subway assaults. I'm hoping by summer, things will improve with more & more places/restaurants opening up & lifting the curfew (I hope) but I don't know. The recovery seems to be going along at such a pokey pace.

Old 04-24-2021, 10:14 AM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
I don't feel better nor worse just...weary. Last year, I was just in survival mode. Head down and getting things done. This year not so much but now I'm impatient and slightly anxious about the health of NYC's economy and apprehensive about random street/subway assaults. I'm hoping by summer, things will improve with more & more places/restaurants opening up & lifting the curfew (I hope) but I don't know. The recovery seems to be going along at such a pokey pace.
I like how you put this.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-24-2021, 10:44 AM

5,450 posts, read 2,721,215 times
https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...o8luvBmdClHbm0

LET'S DO THE POLL

(changing the format slightly)

type YES or NO in capital letters after each question

1) HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THE FUTURE OF NEW YORK CITY

a) Optimistic

b) Pessimistic

c) Neither

2) DOES YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD FEEL AS SAFE AS IT WAS A YEAR AGO? YES OR NO

3) DO YOU FEEL AS COMFORTABLE USING PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION NOW AS COMPARED TO A YEAR AGO?

4) THE NYPD IS WELL RUN AND MANAGED

5) NYPD BUDGET

a) Should be increased

b) Should be decreased

c) Should stay the same

d) Don't know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City