Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2021, 09:23 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,766,834 times

Advertisements

I started a thread on this awhile back but I can't find it so anyway FYI on it's officially opening. It's a bit weird looking but otherwise, it looks nice. Has lots of interesting stuff. You may want to check it out if you're looking for something to do.

https://secretnyc.co/nyc-floating-park-little-island/

NYC’s first “floating park,” a $260 million gift to the city from billionaire Barry Diller, is set to finally open tomorrow, May 21!

After five years of construction in the Hudson River and much political upheaval to even get it built in the first place, this magical island park for New Yorkers is ready to be enjoyed by all.

Photos: Explore Little Island, NYC's Luxurious New Floating Park On The Hudson

https://gothamist-client.prod.nypr.d...ng-park-hudson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2021, 12:00 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,635,068 times
It looks really nice, but it will no doubt be a tourist trap and will be totally crowded, so that alone, turns me right off.
I can look at the pictures.

Old 05-21-2021, 12:27 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
It looks really nice, but it will no doubt be a tourist trap and will be totally crowded, so that alone, turns me right off.
I can look at the pictures.
Well, you're right about that. It's chock full of people on it's opening day. But oddly enough, that makes me happy. I'm tired of going to places where it's just me and the people I'm with, with hardly anyone else around. Looks like it's a success!

Welcome to Little Island: an oasis on the Hudson River

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...sts_po-organic

Landscape architect Signe Nielsen, along with foreman Cardell Thomas, are putting finishing touches on a project they have been working on for more than a year. They have been planting a wide variety of trees, plants and flowers on a 2.4 acre island in the Hudson River called Little Island.

"I think that's one of the reasons the park feels so great on entering, the trees are not the same size, so it looks like it's been here awhile,” explained Nielsen, a founding principal at Matthews Nielsen Landscape Architects.

Old 05-21-2021, 02:13 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,717,954 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbWChxZmTFU
drone view

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzmkVKRP-UQ

Billionaire Barry Diller, in planning for 10 years

Last edited by jonbenson; 05-21-2021 at 02:23 PM..

Old 05-21-2021, 02:49 PM

8,373 posts, read 4,388,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
I started a thread on this awhile back but I can't find it so anyway FYI on it's officially opening. It's a bit weird looking but otherwise, it looks nice. Has lots of interesting stuff. You may want to check it out if you're looking for something to do.

https://secretnyc.co/nyc-floating-park-little-island/

NYC’s first “floating park,” a $260 million gift to the city from billionaire Barry Diller, is set to finally open tomorrow, May 21!

After five years of construction in the Hudson River and much political upheaval to even get it built in the first place, this magical island park for New Yorkers is ready to be enjoyed by all.

Photos: Explore Little Island, NYC's Luxurious New Floating Park On The Hudson

https://gothamist-client.prod.nypr.d...ng-park-hudson

Interestingly, as soon as I read this post, I immediately somehow connected this floating island with The High Line :-). I like NYC for its traditions rather than novelties (since I am thoroughly from the 20th century), but this has a good vibe, as I said, in the same way as The High Line.

Now, there might be an idea regarding where to build prisons and homeless shelters that nobody wants in their back yard, eh? Prison islands and shelter islands floating leisurely up and down Hudson River of the future...??

Old 05-21-2021, 07:20 PM

3,731 posts, read 3,467,022 times
Where are the "OMG $260 Million could have fed so many homeless people!" At?

Oh I see...

Old 05-21-2021, 09:03 PM

5,676 posts, read 2,610,110 times
I think I will venture there one week day morning.

Old 05-21-2021, 11:10 PM

1,046 posts, read 469,317 times
This looks like a fun little place to explore for a day. I'm going to have to make the trip before the tourists reemerge in the city!

Old 05-22-2021, 03:46 AM

16,050 posts, read 6,843,318 times
Excerpt:
for everyone who visits, a place to wander around and be happily surprised at every turn, to lounge and graze the landscape,

Response: Opinion
No Thank you.
I'm not interested in lounging or grazing.
I prefer visiting the Bronx Zoo and feeding
the animals from the opposite side of the cage.

Old 05-22-2021, 05:04 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Action Kid has a great video on youtube from his visit there yesterday. (You can Google the link!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: