Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you for or against Qualified Immunity for police in NY?
For 14 45.16%
Against 17 54.84%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2021, 09:06 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,717,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
It used to be, “oh boy, the cops are around, I better behave.”
Now, “What you gonna do?!”. On top of that, people jumping turnstiles in front of the cops, and cops no longer care.

Is like tying cops hand, then ask them to arrest the criminal. When an arrest was made, the guy is out the next day. Like, what’s the point of even arresting the criminal? The system just release them right away to commit more crime. Is so stupid, but thats the reality.
How many days do you want a $2.75 fare beater taken downtown and locked up for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2021, 05:41 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,649,302 times
Unfortunately the SCOTUS acted, without authority to amend the constitution as a legislative body resulting in unequal treatment and application of the constitution. Essentially they created a class of lawless thugs who have abused power to the detriment of society causing harm to the people and the constitution that supposedly was designed to limit gov. It made a master class without accountability to rule over rather than to serve society and created a unreasonable divide separating the people from their unalienable rights.

No one has civil rights when a selected class of people have the power to decide and dictate rights contrary to the constitution. The people have a duty to themselves and the nation to correct and balance the scales of justice thrown out of whack UNLAWFULLY !!!

Old 05-28-2021, 10:04 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,575,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
That was just an example of saying how no one respect cops no more, and people feel like doing whatever they want even with the present of police officers.

I never said they should be arrested. There is proper protocol in place, like they see you jump the turnstile and simply tell you to pay the fare, or you get a summon. A summon used to be a big deal, but now they are just a piece of trash paper that means nothing to anyone.

Old 05-28-2021, 10:19 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,709,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Unfortunately the SCOTUS acted, without authority to amend the constitution as a legislative body resulting in unequal treatment and application of the constitution. Essentially they created a class of lawless thugs who have abused power to the detriment of society causing harm to the people and the constitution that supposedly was designed to limit gov. It made a master class without accountability to rule over rather than to serve society and created a unreasonable divide separating the people from their unalienable rights.

No one has civil rights when a selected class of people have the power to decide and dictate rights contrary to the constitution. The people have a duty to themselves and the nation to correct and balance the scales of justice thrown out of whack UNLAWFULLY !!!
Just FYI, before standing police forces, any civilian could just draw a gun and shoot a person in the head if they saw them committing a crime. This was a fairly standard practice, especially when it came to property crime. Robberies were punished way more harshly back then, as most people (even upper middle class) were poor by today's standards. Vigilante justice was the main (and legal) mode of policing. Suing police officers was unheard of until the 20th century, so there was no need for qualified immunity in the first place. Back 100 years ago, you could literally shoot a purse snatcher in the back who was running away. It was perfectly legal. Resisting arrest would result in severe beatings with clubs, and if you were armed, getting shot by even bystanders. As people lived more communally and close to each other and there was no huge cities, there was absolutely zero tolerance for criminals.

Last edited by Gantz; 05-28-2021 at 10:39 AM..

Old 05-28-2021, 10:51 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,388,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post

Not locked up, but $50 fine for each offense, taken out of his/her welfare check, or out of any other source of his/her income.

Regarding the police immunity law, I was initially an Adams sympathizer (when I mistakenly thought he was really concerned about safety in the city), but no more. The guy appears to be not double-faced, but 1,000-faced, and will say anything he thinks will get him into the position of power... and there is no telling what he might want to do from that position, since there is no telling what his real intentions are.

Old 05-28-2021, 11:07 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,649,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Just FYI, before standing police forces, any civilian could just draw a gun and shoot a person in the head if they saw them committing a crime. This was a fairly standard practice, especially when it came to property crime. Robberies were punished way more harshly back then, as most people (even upper middle class) were poor by today's standards. Vigilante justice was the main (and legal) mode of policing. Suing police officers was unheard of until the 20th century, so there was no need for qualified immunity in the first place. Back 100 years ago, you could literally shoot a purse snatcher in the back who was running away. It was perfectly legal. Resisting arrest would result in severe beatings with clubs, and if you were armed, getting shot by even bystanders. As people lived more communally and close to each other and there was no huge cities, there was absolutely zero tolerance for criminals.
You seem focused on vigilante justice and the police are the ones who are todays vigilante's dispensing final sentencing from the gun barrel or a convenient knee on the neck !!!

??? Why is that

Vigilante's in costume are still vigilante's !!!

The "Thin Blue Line Gang Members" are the largest gang of vigilante's in the country without accountability !!! They get to rule on their own use of force incidents and as expected seldom find anything they do wrong, even when they murder someone !!! The exception - when there is national attention and public outrage is something perused that looks like accountability !!!

Last edited by phma; 05-28-2021 at 11:22 AM..

Old 05-28-2021, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Not locked up, but $50 fine for each offense, taken out of his/her welfare check, or out of any other source of his/her income.
I had thought the fine was $50 but it's $100

http://web.mta.info/nyct/rules/Trans...nd%20Fines.pdf

Old 05-28-2021, 11:59 AM

2nd Republican Mayoral Debate
MAY 26, 2021

Curtis Sliwa vs Fernando Mateo

(scroll down for video)

opening remarks near beginning
- 1:03:48 (time counter is negative reversed)

C-Span version, time 2:33

https://www.c-span.org/video/?512126...mayoral-debate

Curtis Sliwa, opening remarks,
right here in his 2nd sentence he mentions qualified immunity:

THANK YOU. I HAVE BEEN FOUNDER AND LEADER OF THE
GUARDIAN ANGELS PROVIDING SAFE STREETS AND SAFE
SUBWAYS HERE IN AND IN CITIES
AROUND THE WORLD FOR 42 YEARS.
BUT ON MARCH 15 I DECIDED THAT HE HAD TO RUN FOR MAYOR
TO REFUND THE POLICE, TO HIRE MORE POLICE,
AND TO MAKE SURE WE KEEP THE
QUALIFIED IMMUNITY
FOR THEM.

IN ADDITION, I AM THE ONLY CANDIDATE
WHO HAS SAID THAT I WILL INVESTIGATE THRIVE,
A PROGRAM THAT IS ALREADY SPENT $1.25 BILLION OF
OUR TAX DOLLARS AND IT'S NOT HELP THAT HELPLESS SOULS
OF THE, EMOTIONAL DISTURBED PERSONS WHO OWN THE
STREET AND THE SUBWAYS AND ARE NEEDING CARE,
A DANGER TO THEMSELVES AND EVERYONE ELSE.
WHAT I AM MOST PROUD OF YESTERDAY WHEN WE
DELIVERED TO THE BOARD OF ELECTIONS THOUSANDS
AND THOUSANDS OF SIGNATURES FOR THE FIRST
EVER ANIMAL WELFARE LIVE. BECAUSE OF SOME
WHO RAISES 15 RESCUE CATS WITH MY WIFE NANCY
ON THE UPPER WEST SIDE, FOR THE FIRST ON
WHEN I AM MAYOR NEW YORK CITY WIL HAVE NO KILL SHELTERS.
WE ARE NOT KILLING OUR FRIENDS. THESE DOGS AND CATS
THAT ARE EUTHANIZED WITHIN 72 HOURS. SO, SO I WILL
CRACK DOWN ON CRIME THAT IS PARALYZING OUR CITY
AS I'VE DONE FOR 42 YEARS, I AM THE COMPASSIONATE
CANDIDATE THAT WILL CARE FOR THE EMOTIONALLY
DISTURBED, THE HOMELESS, AND OUR FRIENDS,
THE CATS AND DOGS ARE EUTHANIZED
THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

NOW AN OPENING STATEMENT FROM FERNANDO MATEO....

Similarly former NYPD officer (ending 2009, 20 years)
Bill Pepitone is running for mayor
for the Conservative Party

https://www.billpepitonefornycmayor.com/home

He supports qualified immunity in a recent video although doesn't mention it on his website.
For his policy statements scroll down to "Our City" , click

Last edited by jonbenson; 05-28-2021 at 01:27 PM..

Old 05-28-2021, 01:51 PM

NY1

De Blasio Backs Ending Qualified Immunity for NYPD, But Stresses Officers Won’t Personally Be on the Hook

BILL DE BLASSIO:
“It makes it easier if someone has a concern to bring a legal action, but it does not put the individual financial penalty on the officer,” de Blasio told WNYC’s The Brian Lehrer Show. “It puts it on the department and the city, and that's what I was comfortable with.”

De Blasio said he worries that making police officers financially responsible would hurt NYPD recruiting efforts, particularly as the department works to hire more racial minorities.

City Councilman Stephen Levin is the sponsor of the bill to ban qualified immunity as a defense for police in many cases of misconduct. He told NY1 that offending officers would be liable whether they’re indemnified by the city or not. He notes they would still be named in the lawsuit.

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...be-on-the-hook

__________________________________________________ _____

an opinion on qualified immunity

(excerpt)

Lawfare

Here’s a More Important Reform Than Ending Qualified Immunity

Qualified immunity reform could expand the liability for individual police officers for their constitutional violations. But if the objective of activists and lawmakers is to address systematic and institutional problems with policing, civil rights actions must focus on the governmental entities that hire, employ, train and supervise the offending officials. Consequently, expanding municipal liability to include vicarious liability for harms caused by police officers, and not removing qualified immunity defenses for those officers, should be the primary focus for reform of Section 1983 litigation.
https://www.lawfareblog.com/heres-mo...ified-immunity

Old 05-28-2021, 02:33 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,884,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
A summon used to be a big deal, but now they are just a piece of trash paper that means nothing to anyone.
It eventually turns into a warrant for arrest.

I don't think that should happen, but eventually they should do something like seize tax returns to recoup costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City