Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you for or against Qualified Immunity for police in NY?
For 14 45.16%
Against 17 54.84%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-28-2021, 03:38 PM

6,456 posts, read 7,032,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
why would a doctor operate on somebody?
I thought we were talking about policemen?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2021, 03:41 PM

1,609 posts, read 812,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
I think he got confused again. I mean anyone who calls the mta the Manhattan transit authority is an expert in arguing police topics

Old 05-28-2021, 03:44 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,743,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Doctors are an example of a profession where there is a risk of lawsuits to the people they are serving with
yet they still do it.

Old 05-28-2021, 03:49 PM

10,054 posts, read 5,773,393 times
Quote:
NY1

De Blasio Backs Ending Qualified Immunity for NYPD, But Stresses Officers Won’t Personally Be on the Hook
Then he either doesn't understand what qualified immunity is, or he does and he's a damned liar. In either case, the electorate deserves whatever comes its way when they vote incompetent and/or malevolent snakes like this into positions of power -- not once but twice, and by overwhelming margins.

Quote:
It remains to be seen how it will all play out over time
No it doesn't. Officer Atlas has already shrugged, and we're witnessing the inevitable results today.

Old 05-28-2021, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Then he either doesn't understand what qualified immunity is, or he does and he's a damned liar. In either case, the electorate deserves whatever comes its way when they vote incompetent and/or malevolent snakes like this into positions of power -- not once but twice, and by overwhelming margins.

De Blassio says this:

“It makes it easier if someone has a concern to bring a legal action, but it does not put the individual financial penalty on the officer,” .
“It puts it on the department and the city, and that's what I was comfortable with.”

Old 05-28-2021, 03:56 PM

6,456 posts, read 7,032,901 times
Quote:
Doctors are an example of a profession where there is a risk of lawsuits to the people they are serving with
yet they still do it.
They're also covered when they face a lawsuit via malpractice insurance. If they weren't they probably wouldn't take on most patients.

Let's stop using examples and stick to policemen. No hyperbolies, no metaphores, and no word games.

I can lay out a scenario for you...and you tell me what the cop should do. You game?

Old 05-28-2021, 03:57 PM

Quote:
De Blassio says this:

“It makes it easier if someone has a concern to bring a legal action, but it does not put the individual financial penalty on the officer,” .
“It puts it on the department and the city, and that's what I was comfortable with.”
It's already on the department and the city. So I state again -- either he doesn't understand qualified immunity, or he does and he's a liar and an enemy of civil society.

Old 05-28-2021, 03:58 PM

Quote:
It's already on the department and the city. So I state again -- either he doesn't understand qualified immunity, or he does and he's a liar and an enemy of civil society.
his remarks seemed a little fuzzy wuzzy

Old 05-28-2021, 04:03 PM

Quote:
The qualified immunity doctrine is very favorable to states and local governments. “Clearly established” means that, at the time of the official’s conduct, the law was sufficiently clear that every reasonable official would understand that what he or she is doing is unconstitutional. According to the Supreme Court, qualified immunity protects all except the plainly incompetent or those who knowingly violate the law.

Old 05-28-2021, 04:04 PM

Quote:
his remarks seemed a little fuzzy wuzzy
Think about it: if individual officers won't be personally on the hook even after qualified immunity is eliminated, why would they care if it was eliminated or not? Why would it be a determining factor in deciding whether to quit?

Answer: because they know DeBolshevik is either ignorant or a liar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City