Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you for or against Qualified Immunity for police in NY?
For 14 45.16%
Against 17 54.84%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2021, 02:35 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,931,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
NY1

De Blasio Backs Ending Qualified Immunity for NYPD, But Stresses Officers Won’t Personally Be on the Hook
No they shouldn't be financially liable, but they should be eligible to be terminated without benefits if found guilty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2021, 02:42 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,747,074 times
It remains to be seen how it will all play out over time

Old 05-28-2021, 02:54 PM

2,340 posts, read 1,059,581 times
Quote:
Some police departments teach cover or concealment instead of instantly approaching a car in close proximity with guns drawn
Sometimes you have to approach with guns drawn. But if you instead take cover behind a car door or other obstacle in the area then there is an opportunity to more safely give a command to exit the vehicle.
They may not follow such commands, then there may have to be an approach with guns drawn.
But in some of these traffic stops some cops will approach with guns drawn first thing.
It may not even be clear if they have the right person at this point.
So guns are drawn, the slightest move by the person in the car could then set off a barrage of gunfire.
Yes the person should be still the whole time with their hands on the wheel but the situation is very precarious and can sometimes be avoided
That's why traffic stops are usually done by at least 2 cops. The other partner will cover.

I have a friend who is an Army veteran and they did traffic stops all the time in Iraq. Talk about tense situations. Then he became a cop. Maybe that is part of the reason? Police departments LOVE to hire veterans - especially those who were active duty. This may not be such a great idea. I think some vets have PTSD and treat every traffic stop as a war zone from Baghdad or Kabul. They should be assigned to a desk job instead or something non confrontational like Park Ranger.

Old 05-28-2021, 02:56 PM

6,456 posts, read 7,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
No they shouldn't be financially liable, but they should be eligible to be terminated without benefits if found guilty.
Ok, so whats thresh hold for proving guilt? How high or low is the bar? Is it beyond a reasonable doubt or is it preponderance of the evidence?

if you're a cop--why take the risk of fighting any crime unless you're absolutely you can't be found guilty of violating someone's rights?

Old 05-28-2021, 03:04 PM

19,125 posts, read 14,138,202 times
Any cop still fighting crime is a fool. Hopefully the last straw for people like that is bills removing qualified immunity, but honestly if they haven't gotten the message yet, I don't have expect that they ever will.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 05-28-2021, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
why take the risk of fighting any crime unless you're absolutely sure you can't be found guilty of violating someone's rights?
seriously?

Old 05-28-2021, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Any cop still fighting crime is a fool. Hopefully the last straw for people like that is bills removing qualified immunity, but honestly if they haven't gotten the message yet, I don't have expect that they ever will.
what were the straws before that? concrete stuff, policy changes in effect over the past year or two?

Old 05-28-2021, 03:23 PM

6,456 posts, read 7,036,232 times
Quote:
seriously?
Yes seriously.

Enough pontificating and let's get down to specifics. I notice that when this question arises, people tend to stutter step and shy away from providing a detailed, concrete, and indepth answer.

Now, if I'm a cop on patrol, and I encounter a situation that I cannot say without absolute fact that a crime was committed against someone--why would I take the risk of arresting them only to be found guilty and thereby losing my career?

Now mind you--in a crime ridden busy command, cops encounter probably around 20 more situations per day...so the odds are not in their favor of being 100% right in every situation.

Why would they take the risk and do anything in most of those encounters?

Old 05-28-2021, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Yes seriously.

Enough pontificating and let's get down to specifics. I notice then when this questiona arises, people tend to stutter step and shy away from providing a detailed, concrete, in depth answer.

Now, if I'm a cop on patrol, and I encounter a situation that I cannot say without absolute fact that a crime was committed against someone--why would I take the risk of arresting them only to be found guilty and thereby losing my career?

Now mind you--in a crime ridden busy command, cops encounter probably around 20 more situations per day...so the odds are not in their favor of being 100% right in every situation.
why would a doctor operate on somebody?

Old 05-28-2021, 03:36 PM

19,125 posts, read 14,138,202 times
Quote:
what were the straws before that? concrete stuff, policy changes in effect over the past year or two?
Providing evidence to convince you is a pointless waste of time. Cops are making this decision on their own. What you think doesn't matter. Whether society wants to convince them to police again or not (or convince young people that becoming a cop is a sane career path) is the issue.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City