Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2021, 04:20 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,774,977 times

Advertisements

Well, that didn't last long.

https://gothamist.com/news/brokers-f...bcb52-91331958

The short-lived ban on broker's fees is officially history. On Tuesday, the New York Department of State quietly walked back its bombshell guidance that aimed to block brokers from collecting a commission from tenants.

Real estate agents may continue charging prospective tenants, the new guidance states, because state rent laws "do not, in and of themselves, prohibit a landlord's agent from collecting a 'broker fee' from a prospective tenant."

New York is one of just a handful of cities nationwide where tenants regularly fork over thousands of dollars to brokers.

The guidance will not immediately change the existing rules on broker's fees, which have been legal since a New York court issued an injunction last February, just days after the state's original guidance to ban them. But for many renters, the announcement offered an unsatisfying conclusion to the winding 15-month saga concerning of the legality of the fees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2021, 02:30 PM

1,046 posts, read 470,078 times
They're completely ludicrous. Literally every other state has the landlords pay these fees.

Old 09-25-2021, 10:38 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,774,977 times
Costly Broker Fees, Scourge Of NYC Renters, Return With A Vengeance

https://gothamist.com/news/costly-br...ontent=2021925

On a recent Sunday afternoon, dozens of New Yorkers lined the narrow hallway of an East Village building. Most had arrived early for the open house, which promised a one-bedroom apartment on the fourth-floor of a walk-up priced at $2,2000 per month. An air of desperation, familiar to many pre-pandemic showings, hung in the air.

The real estate broker explained the terms, unmentioned in the listing: On top of first month’s rent and a security deposit, the tenant would be expected to pay 15% of the annual lease for her fee. After plugging the figures into a calculator, one prospective tenant balked at the nearly $4,000 figure, then requested an application anyway.

“You could make a lower offer,” the agent deadpanned, “but then you probably won't get the apartment.”

After a whirlwind couple of years, the broker fee has come roaring back from its pandemic-induced absence. Several real estate agents said they were now collecting higher commissions than they did before COVID, shouldered almost entirely by tenants.

David Rosen, a veteran broker with Douglas Elliman, recounted a “sudden flood of humanity” returning to the city, allowing brokers to collect one-time payments that seemed unfathomable even a few months ago. He described the hefty commissions as “distasteful” to discuss, but added, “Most brokers are having their best year ever.”

Old 09-26-2021, 04:49 AM

106,771 posts, read 108,973,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisky View Post
They're completely ludicrous. Literally every other state has the landlords pay these fees.
Brokers would simply go through the classified ads and call landlords to see if they wanted free coverage by them .

I used to run my ads in The NY Times and brokers would call me all the time to handle it free so I said sure .

Other wise few landlords needed brokers to rent their place out here

Old 09-26-2021, 10:45 AM

1,046 posts, read 470,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post

David Rosen, a veteran broker with Douglas Elliman, recounted a “sudden flood of humanity” returning to the city, allowing brokers to collect one-time payments that seemed unfathomable even a few months ago. He described the hefty commissions as “distasteful” to discuss, but added, “Most brokers are having their best year ever.”
I genuinely hate everything about the NYC real estate machine.

Old 09-26-2021, 10:48 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,305,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Brokers would simply go through the classified ads and call landlords to see if they wanted free coverage by them .

I used to run my ads in The NY Times and brokers would call me all the time to handle it free so I said sure .

Other wise few landlords needed brokers to rent their place out here
That's simply not true. Lots of landlords don't want to be bothered having to screen tenants, so they have brokers do it, especially if they have several properties. Only small time landlords would want to screen tenants themselves. Too much of a hassle.

Old 09-26-2021, 11:01 AM

106,771 posts, read 108,973,015 times
But if they had to pay to do it , they would do it themselves …we used Douglas Elliman but if it cost me money I would have done it myself..renting most of the time took a day And it was done

Old 09-26-2021, 02:29 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,754,963 times
Thank god we signed our new lease a few weeks ago for our new place. Got a month free with a two year lease as well. No fee. But now 80% of the places I see listed around us has in all caps "THIS IS A FEE APARTMENT" and don't mention concessions. WTF happened in three weeks?

Old 09-26-2021, 05:36 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,690,850 times
Handy post, thanks. (The system won't let me rep you.)

Old 09-26-2021, 05:38 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,263,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisky View Post
I genuinely hate everything about the NYC real estate machine.
I don't think this is ven the NYC RE machine. This is a make work program by NYC politicians. Go check out who most of the brokers are for apartment rentals. It's recently arrived transplants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City