Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2021, 10:11 PM

34,185 posts, read 17,257,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Are you saying the article you posted is citing a study that's taking out a massive number of hotels from the denominator in order to make their percentages?
No, it is basing it strictly on the hotels reporting based on how it is worded. However, since 40% of NYC hotels are closed, the 60% left can , up the road, get to pre covid % rooms filled, and NYC will still see millions fewer hotel room nights booked.

I am looking for stuff where they do as I wish..show % of ALL rooms filled, not just all rooms at Open hotels.

NYC hotel revenue collections will be a great indication.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2021, 10:14 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,920,484 times
Quote:
2025 sounds a bit pessimistic unless they're thinking a truly frightening variant or other similarly cataclysmic event happens.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/10/opini...ave/index.html

Old 06-12-2021, 10:18 PM

37,309 posts, read 39,719,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post

Yea, it's a bit worrisome, though 88% effectiveness after second dose sounds pretty decent if we can get a strong majority of people to get the second dose (and that the vaccine stays effective for a while).

Old 06-12-2021, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
No, it is basing it strictly on the hotels reporting based on how it is worded. However, since 40% of NYC hotels are closed, the 60% left can , up the road, get to pre covid % rooms filled, and NYC will still see millions fewer hotel room nights booked.

I am looking for stuff where they do as I wish..show % of ALL rooms filled, not just all rooms at Open hotels.

NYC hotel revenue collections will be a great indication.
So, it does seem like you're saying that the denominator is effectively different since you're talking about closed hotels.

I agree what you're saying about all rooms would be interesting, though I'm not sure if NYC hotel revenue collections will be a great indication because I don't know how much of a profit margin the hotels were making in the past and if the hotels are likely to fill up the rooms at a slimmer margin (in which case, you can still have similar occupancy numbers, but the revenue will be lower). Though, of course, total revenue collection itself is a solid indicator on its own of how much NYC's tourism industry has returned.

Old 06-12-2021, 10:23 PM

It will be a slow path back, and I mean beyond hotels. MTA trains, which includes the New Haven-Grand Central line, are still running at 64-67% below pre covid numbers, Monday-Friday.

1 million a day flocked into NYC jobs pre covid not just on this line, by car, NJ rail, etc. Experts have said it is now about one quarter of that. I do think it will rise, but would bet not above half the old number due to hybrid becoming a major player.

J P Morgan bragged in its 10Q about reducing leasing costs 40% long-term, due to a proportinate spike in work from home on a perm basis. then stated their expectation going forward is 50-60% in office at any time. Pre covid, they leased as much sq footage in NYC as all of Stamford's downtown business district contains. That takes out thousands of lunches out a day, a healthy chunk pre covid in hotel based restaurants.

That is why I think 2025 is optimistic, not pessimistic. MTA btw thinks they hit 80% pre covid by 2025 on New Haven line. I have been on 7 times in 16 months, looks busier to naked eye, but I am detail oriented, spotted we had 6 cars in mid May at 4pm start of peak, where 10-12 was norm before. Plus it runs 2 times /hour peak now, was 4-6 peak pre covid times an hour.

Car quantity stood out when I got off in Ct and saw how much length of platform was bare behind last car. Pre covid, last car hit just 20 feet past edge of platform in my town.

Old 06-12-2021, 10:25 PM

Quote:
So, it does seem like you're saying that the denominator is effectively different since you're talking about closed hotels.

I agree what you're saying about all rooms would be interesting, though I'm not sure if NYC hotel revenue collections will be a great indication because I don't know how much of a profit margin the hotels were making in the past and if the hotels are likely to fill up the rooms at a slimmer margin (in which case, you can still have similar occupancy numbers, but the revenue will be lower). Though, of course, total revenue collection itself is a solid indicator on its own of how much NYC's tourism industry has returned.
Hotel tax revenue is mainly room tax based, not P & L based. Now shrinking room rates does reduce taxes, but does not eliminate them. Their income taxes go bye-bye if they fall in the red.

Old 06-12-2021, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Hotel tax revenue is mainly room tax based, not P & L based. Now shrinking room rates does reduce taxes, but does not eliminate them. Their income taxes go bye-bye if they fall in the red.

Ah, I see. I parsed NYC hotel revenue collection incorrectly as all the revenue collected by the hotels in NYC rather than tax revenue collection from NYC hotel taxes. That would be a pretty good indicator.

Old 06-12-2021, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Ah, I see. I parsed NYC hotel revenue collection incorrectly as all the revenue collected by the hotels in NYC rather than tax revenue collection from NYC hotel taxes. That would be a pretty good indicator.

Correct. Hotel income taxes, no doubt, nosedived, even more than room taxes collected, in 2020.

I imagine all but a handful were in the red.

Nice talking with you. I will be back Sunday night. Bedtime. Not in a hotel, either. LOL.

Old 06-13-2021, 11:24 AM

1,046 posts, read 474,019 times
I can only share my recent anecdotal hotel experience but I had originally booked a Residence Inn (that's re-opening tomorrow) and then found something cheaper but similar. I started waffling again because of the size of the room and went back to look for my original reservation. Not only was that hotel sold out, but so was another Residence Inn and the hotel I'm staying at doesn't have the larger apartments available.

So for mid-end of June, at least, it's getting a bit harder to find rooms that offer kitchenettes. LOL

Old 06-13-2021, 12:04 PM

14,105 posts, read 14,048,382 times
Hotels in Miami doing much better than pre-COVID times the best in country at the moment compare to NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: