Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2021, 02:25 PM

12,793 posts, read 8,400,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Hotels in Miami doing much better than pre-COVID times the best in country at the moment compare to NYC.
So what. NYC was the epicenter of the pandemic, so we had much more to worry about. Florida on the other hand wasn't impacted nearly as much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2021, 02:36 PM

5,795 posts, read 2,705,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Hotels in Miami doing much better than pre-COVID times the best in country at the moment compare to NYC.
What does this having to do with NYC? Can't compare the two, two very different types of vacations.

Old 06-13-2021, 02:47 PM

34,219 posts, read 17,309,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
So what. NYC was the epicenter of the pandemic, so we had much more to worry about. Florida on the other hand wasn't impacted nearly as much.
NYC also chose a much larger scale lockdown, and Manhattan had riots last year. Hardly something tourists want to see in a vacation spot.

Miami had a smaller lockdown period, more liberty for all, and was riot free throughout 2020 and 2021.

NYC is trailing most of the nation in hotel occupancy rates.

Old 06-13-2021, 08:55 PM

37,368 posts, read 39,793,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
NYC also chose a much larger scale lockdown, and Manhattan had riots last year. Hardly something tourists want to see in a vacation spot.

Miami had a smaller lockdown period, more liberty for all, and was riot free throughout 2020 and 2021.

NYC is trailing most of the nation in hotel occupancy rates.

NYC has a stricter lockdown that it's easing out of and has a pretty strong split of tourists towards the international side of things. The riots were a blip barely remembered. I think it's more of a question of how long it takes for international travel to resume and/or if the hotels here are willing and able to cut deals to get more domestic visitors.

Old 06-14-2021, 12:57 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,316,072 times
People are traveling. Domestic flights are packed. More people seem to prefer staying at airbnbs vs hotels for mor space and less forced interactions with strangers. My inlaw own 6 airbnbs. They are all booked solid into the fall. He also has been getting more 2 weeks to one month bookings.

Most people don't stay in hotels for that long

Old 06-14-2021, 02:17 AM

1,399 posts, read 899,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Epicenter due to cuomo sending the elderly to their death. Florida showed the world that lockdowns dont work. All my hospitality friends packed up nyc and are all in florida.

Old 06-14-2021, 05:25 AM

1,034 posts, read 451,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
NYC has a stricter lockdown that it's easing out of and has a pretty strong split of tourists towards the international side of things. The riots were a blip barely remembered. I think it's more of a question of how long it takes for international travel to resume and/or if the hotels here are willing and able to cut deals to get more domestic visitors.
"The riots were a blip barely remembered".

Scenes of animals running through the streets looting and terrorizing "barely remembered". You'd make a great NYC politician.

What planet do you live on?

Old 06-14-2021, 06:15 AM

37,368 posts, read 39,793,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynball View Post
"The riots were a blip barely remembered".

Scenes of animals running through the streets looting and terrorizing "barely remembered". You'd make a great NYC politician.

What planet do you live on?

Yea, I really don't think they're going to make much of a difference for or against the recovery. I feel like people tend to sensationalize, make a big fuss, and then pretty promptly forget things in this country while ignoring much larger, general trends that have larger structural changes. Unfortunately, I think you may fit that mold pretty well.

Again, unless the variants truly get out of hand or some other cataclysmic disaster along that order of magnitude occurs that especially staves off the opening of most international travel, my guess is that NYC hotel recovery in terms of occupancy rates will be pretty swift. There was little structural change from the pandemic or the riots even though there was/will be bankruptcies and defaults though someone or some entity will almost certainly come take previous operators places in a lot of situations. There is a question of the kind of profit margins the hospitality industry needs to keep going. I think in order to fill up things sooner especially with a slower relaxing of international travel restrictions, hotels will probably be lowering their prices and profit margins a bit. However, I think it's likely the margins for landlords and operators both had some room to go while still generating an operating profit and so prices likely have significant room to move down to meet the willingness to play.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 06-14-2021 at 06:33 AM..

Old 06-18-2021, 06:06 AM

1,034 posts, read 451,804 times
Quote:
Yea, I really don't think they're going to make much of a difference for or against the recovery. I feel like people tend to sensationalize, make a big fuss, and then pretty promptly forget things in this country while ignoring much larger, general trends that have larger structural changes. Unfortunately, I think you may fit that mold pretty well.

Again, unless the variants truly get out of hand or some other cataclysmic disaster along that order of magnitude occurs that especially staves off the opening of most international travel, my guess is that NYC hotel recovery in terms of occupancy rates will be pretty swift. There was little structural change from the pandemic or the riots even though there was/will be bankruptcies and defaults though someone or some entity will almost certainly come take previous operators places in a lot of situations. There is a question of the kind of profit margins the hospitality industry needs to keep going. I think in order to fill up things sooner especially with a slower relaxing of international travel restrictions, hotels will probably be lowering their prices and profit margins a bit. However, I think it's likely the margins for landlords and operators both had some room to go while still generating an operating profit and so prices likely have significant room to move down to meet the willingness to play.

They've already made a difference. Go look at home prices in Florida. Who do you think is paying those prices?

Old 06-18-2021, 08:22 AM

12,335 posts, read 17,206,651 times
Quote:

The profit margins statement you made is very true. Managers I spoke to informed me the hotel would be running on a skeleton crew until the outlook was better. There is concern about the Fall regarding another Covid spike also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: