Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2021, 11:18 AM

1,034 posts, read 448,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
They usually vote Republican but they won't be this time
I looked into this and they are probably going to be voting their butts off against Sliwa

Here's why:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...odox-jews.html
They won't be voting for Sliwa not because of what he said (they know it's true and they don't care) but because he has no shot of winning. People withing the communities who don't abuse the system day the same thing.

When it comes to local races, their Rabbis and community business leaders cut deals with politicians who promise not to change the status quo and /or give them something they want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2021, 11:41 AM

8,418 posts, read 4,438,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynball View Post
They won't be voting for Sliwa not because of what he said (they know it's true and they don't care) but because he has no shot of winning. People withing the communities who don't abuse the system day the same thing.

When it comes to local races, their Rabbis and community business leaders cut deals with politicians who promise not to change the status quo and /or give them something they want.

While I'm not Jewish, the late boyfriend of many years was as Jewish as it gets without being religious, and he always said the same thing about the ultra-Orthodox communities in Israel.

Old 06-27-2021, 04:56 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,729,705 times
Quote:

Yes but is an estimated 75% of the ultra-orthodox in NY are Republican.

This raises a couple of questions but there is no data I know of on this. Given that they know a Democrat is going to win and given the fact that some Republicans temporarily switched parties how many of these ultra-orthodox voted in the mayoral primaries

If they were to vote for mayor one and knew they would be a democrat one might promise not to change the status quo and /or give them something they want.

Old 06-27-2021, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Yes but is an estimated 75% of the ultra-orthodox in NY are Republican.

This raises a couple of questions but there is no data I know of on this. Given that they know a Democrat is going to win and given the fact that some Republicans temporarily switched parties how many of these ultra-orthodox voted in the mayoral primaries

If they were to vote for mayor one and knew they would be a democrat one might promise not to change the status quo and /or give them something they want.
You don't seem to understand the dynamic at play.

Most Ultra Orthodox are conservative. They're fundamentalists after all. So personally, yes they're "Republican".

In regards to NATIONAL or even CONGRESSIONAL elections that don't effect their day to day lives, members of each sect/community are free to vote how they choose.

When it comes to local politics, they don't vote based on personal beliefs. They vote for the politician that their leadership deems best for the communities interests.

Old 06-27-2021, 05:28 PM

Quote:
You don't seem to understand the dynamic at play.

Most Ultra Orthodox are conservative. They're fundamentalists after all. So personally, yes they're "Republican".

In regards to NATIONAL or even CONGRESSIONAL elections that don't effect their day to day lives, members of each sect/community are free to vote how they choose.

When it comes to local politics, they don't vote based on personal beliefs. They vote for the politician that their leadership deems best for the communities interests.
So you are saying that differences between mayoral candidates are inconsequential to communities interests?

Old 06-27-2021, 06:58 PM

Quote:
So you are saying that differences between mayoral candidates are inconsequential to communities interests?
If they don't directly impact the community or at at least tangential to it, then yes, they're deemed inconsequential.

The community has only one goal in mind. The well being AND growth of the community/sect. Everything else is deemed unimportant when it comes to voting.

Old 06-28-2021, 11:04 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,963,974 times
Quote:
You won't find "true public servants" at the higher echelons of power. Also, the notion that "knowing the system" and supposedly being able to work through it is complete nonsense.
To say that there are no true public servants at higher echelons of power is painting with the broad brush where you can never prove that this is the case.

Arguably, two of the greatest mayors of NYC, LaGuardia and Guiliani, were both public servants and knew how to work through the system, so how is it nonsense?

If you disenchanted with the current crop of candidates, that doesn't mean that there are won't be good candidates in the next election cycle.

Old 06-28-2021, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palpable View Post
? He's been consistent about his UBI beliefs since he started his presidential bid. No one was touting this back then. Stimulus payments would've been seen as crazy. He's as consistent as they come lol
Your think Yang's 2020 Presidential bid that went down in flames because enough people saw his helicopter money as ploy to win votes to be consistent as he ran on the same platform [i]one whole year later[i] in Mayrol electrions, as consistent? If so then, you deserved to be governed by every empty suit, capet bagger around.

I wonder how Yang will 'invent' himself in the next few month

This joker fled NYC like many transplants during COVID, pulled the Asian 'race' card (not skillfully, might I add) and 'teamed up' with Garcia in another cynical move to grab power -- I saw through his every move.

Old 06-28-2021, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
pulled the Asian 'race' card (not skillfully, might I add)
The man is Asian, would you define "pulling the Asian race card" as anybody speaking out more than once about the increased violent attacks on Asians in New York City?

He could have been more politically calculating and said to himself "Yes I'm am very angry and outraged but I'll suppress that to a minimum because Asians are 14% of New York and I'm trying to become mayor"

Old 06-29-2021, 07:57 AM

Quote:
The man is Asian, would you define "pulling the Asian race card" as anybody speaking out more than once about the increased violent attacks on Asians in New York City?

He could have been more politically calculating and said to himself "Yes I'm am very angry and outraged but I'll suppress that to a minimum because Asians are 14% of New York and I'm trying to become mayor"
Clearly, you are jumping to erroneous assumptions. I was not referring to the anti-Asian attacks but rather for being called out for ditching NYC during the worst of the COVID pandemic like the transplant he is:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/28/n...toon-bias.html

As for the COVID/Anti-Asian attacks, Yang, the consummate, empty vessel had this to say:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/andrew-yan...ry?id=69961672

Just loving how pro-Andrew Yang people are coming out of the woodwork to defend a twice failed (trounced no less) candidate.

Lets revisit this thread in a year or two and I wonder where Andrew Yang will be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City