Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2021, 10:17 AM

8,942 posts, read 4,788,022 times

Advertisements

FYI. He'll probably be the next mayor unless...! Sliwa pulls it off.

https://ny.chalkbeat.org/2021/6/22/2...e-2021-schools

Eric Adams — who might want to keep schools open year round and have a permanent remote learning option — snagged the most first-place votes in the Democratic primary for New York City mayor Tuesday. But the winner remains uncertain since the race won’t be officially called for weeks.

The Brooklyn borough president has talked about keeping school buildings open year-round and providing child care and STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts, and mathematics) programming during the summer. Adams would also create a long-term remote learning option — though he would not put 400 children with one virtual teacher, as he said at one point, raising eyebrows and ire across the city. He would fund online schooling by levying a data tax on big tech companies that sell private data to advertisers and others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2021, 11:57 AM

1,046 posts, read 471,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post

Eric Adams — who might want to keep schools open year round and have a permanent remote learning option — snagged the most first-place votes in the Democratic primary for New York City mayor Tuesday. But the winner remains uncertain since the race won’t be officially called for weeks.

The Brooklyn borough president has talked about keeping school buildings open year-round and providing child care and STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts, and mathematics) programming during the summer. Adams would also create a long-term remote learning option — though he would not put 400 children with one virtual teacher, as he said at one point, raising eyebrows and ire across the city. He would fund online schooling by levying a data tax on big tech companies that sell private data to advertisers and others.
How does he plan to keep schools open year round with no air conditioning?

Old 06-23-2021, 12:12 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,727,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisky View Post
How does he plan to keep schools open year round with no air conditioning?
Talk is cheap. Putting in and running air conditioning would be hugely expensive

Old 06-23-2021, 02:23 PM

9,249 posts, read 24,107,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post

Oh,wow, a data tax on tech companies. WTF is that ? Is there such a thing ? How is he going to implement
it ? Will tech companies revolt ?
I don't see this happening but with ideas like this I can tell it's going to be a fun 4 years!

Old 06-23-2021, 02:32 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,727,515 times

https://ericadams2021.com/erics-educ...cation-for-all

Eric's Education Plan

Old 06-24-2021, 02:00 AM

608 posts, read 241,131 times
Better him than crackpot Maya Wiley. The lesser of 2 evils by far, and if he keeps the remote learning train going, then he at least has 1 policy I can support from Day 1.

Old 06-24-2021, 02:52 AM

1,399 posts, read 893,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousMaximum View Post
Better him than crackpot Maya Wiley. The lesser of 2 evils by far, and if he keeps the remote learning train going, then he at least has 1 policy I can support from Day 1.
How come you support remote learning? Feels like kids are losing out on that one.

Old 06-24-2021, 04:06 AM

5,877 posts, read 2,989,444 times
History repeats itself.

4 years of nothingness ahead.

Last edited by Dave 92 LSC; 06-24-2021 at 04:37 AM..

Old 06-24-2021, 04:39 AM

608 posts, read 241,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llol45519 View Post
How come you support remote learning? Feels like kids are losing out on that one.
Good question. I hope the following is a good answer. I personally have a few reasons why it's helpful but also I acknowledge big picture why it isn't helpful

The positives of remote learning.

- I love my kids, and we get to see eachother more.
- I have a schedule that allows for this. I umderstand this is rare for many.
- The teachers have seen how I personally create materials to add on to my kids' schooling.
- I like being able to see and hear what is being taught. Physical schools have a real bad beef with parents seeing what is being taught.
- For parents that have kids that don't do well in group settings, this helps them.
- Quite a few schools in NYC are so awful that exposure to them is actually a huge detriment to their well-being.
- I'm actually on the side of teachers who might want to teach from home, teachers deserve a break too.
- Also, especially in the cases of those few awful schools, the less exposure the teachers to the most belligerent students, the better.

----------

The negatives of remote learning.

- Social skills can usually only be buffed by actually socializing.
- Lack of physical activity, even as mundane as all the stairs in school. I have them jog and do pushups but, it's not the same as a gym class or sports team.
- Most parents -require- physical school in order to maintain a job. Big picture? When parents can't work the economy suffers, and even the family dynamic can suffer.
- The possible fiscal cost associated with remote learning (although this aspect requires careful analysis just by itself).

So, -if- what Adams is proposing, to at least preserve the -option- of remote schooling , I support that!

Old 06-24-2021, 06:54 AM

2,687 posts, read 2,341,384 times
My wife is a teacher. They told everyone free summer school this year. Her district just bumped the numbers to 200 kids total. Her school alone had 138 requests. The reasons they can’t accommodate. No teachers (43 in her school) are willing to Work. It will be the same if they try year round school. Teacher aren’t going to do it. Even at full salary it my lady wouldn’t do it. She drives a mini bus 90 min a day and our kids go to a fancy camp for free that would cost 16k for the 2 of em and she makes 2k still. Many teachers do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: