Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2021, 12:43 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,644,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5e-igdIFPM

Adams on Stop and Frisk, he's not doing it
and remake the plain clothes unit
He’s not for ‘heavy handed’ policing. Well that doesn’t sound good. No wonder he wasn’t endorsed by the police unions.

We’ll have to see who will be police commissioner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2021, 01:50 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,726,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
He’s not for ‘heavy handed’ policing. Well that doesn’t sound good. No wonder he wasn’t endorsed by the police unions.

We’ll have to see who will be police commissioner.
Heavy handed policing sounds good to you?

what is that exactly?

Old 06-24-2021, 02:43 PM

2,334 posts, read 1,039,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
You would need statistics to prove that.

Yang had a friendly demeanor but after a lot of the attacks on Asians it became angrier.
The rise attacks in Asians was primarily against Chinese or people that other people think look Chinese.

In 2010 6.0% of New York City was Chinese.
Korean heritage made up 1.2%
Japanese 0.3%
Filipino 0.8%
Vietnamese 0.2%

If this is accurate, adding it up total 8.5 %

This is not to say Indians and Muslims don't also get attacked but they have not seen the big rise in attacks recently (which seems to have tapered off lately , but that remains to be seen)

Around April 20 around 400 progressive Asian New Yorkers signed a letter opposing Yang.
Here's the letter and at the bottom you can see the names, a mix of Asians from all over Asia including many East Asians

https://www.asiansagainstyang.com

However these progressive left leaning Asians are might be the minority of East Asians and young vs old is another difference

Yang had been running as a centrist slightly to the left but after this attacks on Asians in early June he moved away form that slightly left position when he said:

"Most New Yorkers, if anything, want more cops, and we need to replace the thousands of police officers who are retiring. I'm very clear that 'Defund the Police' is the wrong approach."

and the Captains Endowment Association, which is the New York police union that once supported Eric Adams, endorsed Yang instead

I think some black people saw him get outraged by these attack on Asians and may have thought,
yeah he's got a right to be outrages but what will he do for black people

Anyway had Yang been elected if there were more attack on Asians, him being Asians there would be a lot more pressure on him to do something and you can see even before the election he said
'Defund the Police' is the wrong approach."
Yang pissed off the Muslims (many of which are SOUTH Asians) like Pakistanis by making his pro-Israel statements. So did Eric Adams but he got a pass b/c of his political machine telling him to ****. Meanwhile Yang stuck his foot in his mouth for an issue that most Asians don't really care about.

Old 06-24-2021, 03:10 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,726,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
Yang pissed off the Muslims (many of which are SOUTH Asians) like Pakistanis by making his pro-Israel statements. So did Eric Adams but he got a pass b/c of his political machine telling him to ****. Meanwhile Yang stuck his foot in his mouth for an issue that most Asians don't really care about.
Muslims are estimated to be 3% of the NYC population, Jews 12%

Tahanie Aboushi, a Palestinian did get pretty far in the Manhattan DA race though (3rd)

They didn't use ranked voting so these preliminary results from yesterday are probably going to stand, 98.44% of scanners reported.

Alvin Bragg: 33.84%

Tali Farhadian Weinstein: 30.42%

Tahanie Aboushi: 11.31%

Lucy Lang: 7.59%

Diana Florence: 5.26%

Liz Crotty: 4.42%

Eliza Orlins: 4.41%

Dan Quart: 2.62%

According to wikipedia
Aboushi's platform included plans to refuse to prosecute gang conspiracy charges, driving without a license, disorderly conduct, sex work, any drug possession or use or manufacturing or sale, third-degree burglary, escaping from a correctional facility, and some theft charges, refuse the use of databases like the DNA and Gang database, refuse to seek sentences longer than 20 years, cut the Manhattan DA budget by 50%, and reduce the incarcerated population by 80% or more. She also planned to offer an alternative-to-incarceration program for all cases, including murder, rape, and gunpoint robbery

^^ not exactly how Muslim countries do it

Last edited by jonbenson; 06-24-2021 at 03:44 PM..

Old 06-24-2021, 06:59 PM

173 posts, read 147,681 times
No. He's the most corrupt out of the bunch and probably has a bunch of backdoor deals with his buddies. The man has said some of the most idiotic things of the candidates, such as saying one teacher can teach 300 - 400 kids remotely, and that Andrew Yang, an Asian, didn't want a person of color in the office.

He doesn't live in NY, got caught evading taxes on rental income, and abuses his placard. He thinks he's above the law

He ran on one policy, which is safety, and even then that completely revolves around him being former NYPD.

Old 06-24-2021, 07:20 PM

147 posts, read 60,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
I don't live in nyc anymore, so I have no skin in the game.
And I'm a registered R so I can't vote in D primaries anyway.

But as an asian dude, I would have voted for Adams because he has the most real world experience with crime. Whether his policies will be effective or not, who knows (anything is better than Deblasio). Yang is a pandering joke of a candidate- dumbass even admits there was so much he didn't know about nyc. Not shocked since he grew up in Westchester and is one of those typical progressives who transplanted here when Giulani and Bloomberg made it safe.
Yang attended Columbia law school in NYC... He's not a transplant.

Old 06-24-2021, 08:39 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,547,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gia_inNova View Post
Yang attended Columbia law school in NYC... He's not a transplant.
Going to college in NYC does not make you a native new Yorker.

Old 06-24-2021, 09:08 PM

101 posts, read 61,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
How is he going to get crime under control when the City Council and the state have enacted anti police laws? Those laws will still be on the books. Yeah guys go get em. In the meantime you will lose you house, your family, your job and your freedom. Thanks but no thanks Eric. I will just sit and wait for the next call. Why do anything for an ungrateful city that will do anything to hurt me!
Sneaky suspicion tells me Cuomo is going to work like a gem with Adams not only to stick it to BDB but to give himself positive coverage after his constant scandals. Adams will be better than BDB just by bringing back anti crime unit, adding more police in subways… Whatever it takes to bring crime to a respectable temperature where tourists can be comfortable returning, businesses opening, etc.

Old 06-24-2021, 09:50 PM

870 posts, read 417,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisky View Post
I don't live in Brooklyn so I can't answer this, but how has he been as borough president? I don't feel like I've heard outsized complaints or compliments about his performance.
Borough Presidents have little to no power, so you can't tell, they are just here to represent their Borough, celebrate such and such independence day for the country of origin of such and such community in their Borough, say Happy Hanukah in front of a Jewish congregation, wish the Hindi community a happy Diwali and express how they respect their hard work and contribution to the Borough blah blah blah.....

Last edited by Robert.Dinero; 06-24-2021 at 09:59 PM..

Old 06-25-2021, 01:28 AM

5,525 posts, read 8,790,702 times
Adams' success or failure will be determined by his own actions and words, for sure. But he will also rise or fall because of his appointments, and three of those will prove crucial to how well his administration does:

Police Commissioner
Budget Director
Schools Chancellor

Adams (presuming he is the eventual winner) can screw up a lot and most of us would just chalk it up to business as usual. But if he botches policing, public schools, and the city's finances, all bets are off and he is a one-term mayor. I don't have any idea who he'll pick for these three positions. But for his sake and ours, they better be good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: