Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2021, 05:24 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,086,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Okay, so the subject introduced into the thread is that an ethnic group X can use an anti-X slur humorously among themselves, but a non-X person cannot use that same anti-X slur because he/she is not an X (soon enough we'll need to start talking in mathematical formulas, since most words are getting prohibited). But how does that relate to Sliwa's criticism of Hasidic groups' use of taxpayer money? Sliwa did not use any ethnic slurs.
Isnt it strange how people feel they can criticize anyone they want, but are supersensitive at the idea of someone criticizing them and their group?

Actually it isnt. Just like all these slurs we have for each other, it probably dates back to the dawn of one group of men finding out there is another group of men on this planet.

On topic, Joe Sexton, formerly of The New York Times, did an article for the Times in 1997 on the same topic Sliwa is being criticized for with whatever he was talking about in 1980. I guess he's a pretty decent guy though if someone has to go back more than 30 years, and dig at some old wounds to try to find something to discredit him with.

WHEN WORK IS NOT ENOUGH

Religion and Welfare Shape Economics for the Hasidim

Last edited by ComeCloser; 06-27-2021 at 05:34 PM..

Old 06-27-2021, 05:53 PM

8,384 posts, read 4,409,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
Isnt it strange how people feel they can criticize anyone they want, but are supersensitive at the idea of someone criticizing them and their group?

Actually it isnt. Just like all these slurs we have for each other, it probably dates back to the dawn of one group of men finding out there is another group of men on this planet.

Possibly, but the subject does not have anything to do with Sliwa, as he has not used any slurs. He did not criticize Hasidic Jewish religion or ethnicity or group identity or even the size of their families - he only criticized the practice of supporting large families by taxpayer-provided welfare money. He has no problem with Hasids as such, has no problem with them living in Hasidic communities in NYC, and living however they wish, as long as they finance their religious practices and families privately. He has even invited them to a public discussion with him.

Again, while I am not Jewish myself, the guy who was the love of my life was, and he had lived for extended time in Israel (of which he was also a citizen, of which he was a soldier for three years when he was young), and my personal notions of Judaism are, if anything, deeply emotional and romantic. I'm the last person that would approve of anything anti-Semitic. And I do not see anything anti-Semitic about Sliwa's point regarding separation of tax revenue and religion.

Last edited by elnrgby; 06-27-2021 at 06:01 PM..

Old 06-27-2021, 06:08 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,092,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
https://nypost.com/2021/06/25/gop-ma...t-video-shows/

June 25, 2021

GOP mayoral hopeful Sliwa blasted orthodox Jews in bigoted rant, video shows
By Carl Campanile

Republican mayoral nominee Curtis Sliwa made bigoted generalizations about Jews in a 2018 videotaped rant in which he accused the ultra-orthodox community in New York of making “babies like there’s no tomorrow,” not voting “the way normal Americans vote” and being abusers of welfare.

At the time, Sliwa said the Reform Party, which he headed, would only endorse candidates who agreed to oppose “the bloc” — which he identified as the ultra-orthodox leadership and their followers.

^^ There are a lot more details in the rest of the article

I wonder if this means in the general election for Mayor, that if Adams wins, who the Post already endorsed will stick with him over Sliwa.

The have the video there, Sliwa speaking for over an hour on
Oct. 25, 2018 at a meeting in the Hudson Valley when he was with the Reform Party

I haven't listened to it yet, he seems to start talking about it at about 25:00 minutes in, I just skimmed a little (there is also a negative time counter and it's around -59:00)

And ironically the ultra-orthodox tend to vote for Republicans a lot more than most Jews in New York
Why does this matter at all? Sliwa is complete buffoon and he is never going to get elected to anything. Your are just getting people all riled up for nothing.

Old 06-27-2021, 06:17 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,722,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Why does this matter at all? Sliwa is complete buffoon and he is never going to get elected to anything. Your are just getting people all riled up for nothing.
Again the point of the thread was that the NY Post ran the story

and also Sliwa will be in the final debates so despite not being able to win will be able to get a lot of news coverage

plus elnrgby thinks Sliwa and a couple of others in the forum think Sliwa is a better candidate than any democrat running

Old 06-27-2021, 06:27 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,086,286 times
Quote:
Again the point of the thread was that the NY Post ran the story

and also Sliwa will be in the final debates so despite not being able to win will be able to get a lot of news coverage

plus elnrgby thinks Sliwa and a couple of others in the forum think Sliwa is a better candidate than any democrat running
Well, he might prove to be for many. Does anyone know who the Democratic candidate for mayor even is yet?

Old 06-27-2021, 06:57 PM

169 posts, read 64,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynball View Post
They had a distateaful look because it's an odd thing for a Jew to refer to himself as.

Have you heard American Jews call each other k*ke or "h*ymie*? I've heard gas chamber jokes/references from time to time but that's pretty much it.
yes, all the time when in crown heights and midwood. in public schools jewish friends did this all the time

Old 06-27-2021, 07:01 PM

169 posts, read 64,242 times
Quote:
yes but we don't see other groups doing it all throughout their music which is very public
there's always a "but" or some excuse lol. childish.

didn't your mother ever tell you that even if you saw a bunch of kids jumping off of a bridge doesn't mean you should do it? lol.

it could be on a giant led billboard from space for all i care, still doesn't give you an excuse.

if you don't have a problem with jewish people or the lgbtq crowd cancelling those who offend, it shouldn't bother you when blacks or any other group does the same.

Old 06-27-2021, 07:08 PM

1,034 posts, read 447,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deconstructer View Post
yes, all the time when in crown heights and midwood. in public schools jewish friends did this all the time
I can only assume you're making things up.
Me and my brother went to public schools in Midwood. I NEVER heard this. If I did this, my father would probably put me in the hospital.

Furthermore, Crown Heights Jews (mostly observant Chabadniks) and Modern Orthodox/ Orthodox Midwood Jews don't go to public schools.

I'm sure I've interacted with more Jewish people then you ever will.from.all across the world. I've never been called that by another Jew and if they did, I'd give them a chance to apologize. If they didn't , I'd straight up smack them.

Old 06-27-2021, 07:48 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,903,971 times
A statement should not be considered racist or anti-Semitic if it's true. If Sliwa made a false statement, call him on it. But if you can't find error in his remarks, then he said nothing wrong.

Old 06-27-2021, 08:23 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,722,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
A statement should not be considered racist or anti-Semitic if it's true. If Sliwa made a false statement, call him on it. But if you can't find error in his remarks, then he said nothing wrong.
look just go to the video and judge for yourself

he talks about this around 25:00
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City