Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: does this homeless man thing look scripted to you?
yes 11 61.11%
no 7 38.89%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2021, 06:36 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,900,264 times

Advertisements

The guy is probably legitimately homeless and mentally disturbed but it does seem scripted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2021, 06:38 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,900,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrioticSuperman View Post
That homeless guy looks awfully clean...
My Uncle is deliberately homeless because he doesn't want to follow any rules or do anything productive.

He likely uses multiple single mothers on welfare to get a shower and change clothes regularly. They can be resourceful.

Old 08-30-2021, 03:51 PM

1,757 posts, read 2,147,641 times
Look at all the non-judgemental, caring, progressive liberals in this thread. It's heartwarming to see you all so open minded and non-biased.

Old 08-30-2021, 04:10 PM

4,201 posts, read 4,100,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Whether or not he's a con artist is a separate matter. If anybody uses Penn Station to commute say via the LIRR or subway, let me tell you, it's open season. On that, Sliwa is 100% correct. Open air drug use, junkies all around the station, esp. by the 7th Av entrance. The area has become much dirtier and gritty over the last several years, so much so that certain entrances are avoided where possible. Then there are all of the homeless lined up within Penn Station itself. I don't know if he'll get many votes, but if it was based on the need to clean that area up... Lord knows he should get some votes for that. I've been frequenting that area for years, so yes, there has always been a homeless population, but never this bad and never this aggressive to where it's really right in your face because there are so many of them.

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2021/03...rain-stations/
Because he knows there is a homeless and mentally ill problem doesn’t mean he can run a city. I think Eric Adams could easily be worse than De Blasio but Curtis is not a credible candidate.

Old 08-30-2021, 04:16 PM

1,912 posts, read 1,135,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
He’s P.T. Barnum. Shame on the NY Republican Party for not running a serious candidate for mayor.
He lives in an under-400 sf studio with a wife and multiple cats. Is he running for a raise and housing improvement?

Obama and Trump showed that experience isn’t a requisite for office, unfortunately.

Old 08-30-2021, 06:54 PM

63 posts, read 39,773 times
I wouldnt worry to much about safety in Penn Station
There is always a strong police as well as national guard presence
Yes there is still the usual homeless/ scam artists around but they are generally harmless

Old 08-30-2021, 07:42 PM

155 posts, read 121,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEDLI495 View Post
I wouldnt worry to much about safety in Penn Station
There is always a strong police as well as national guard presence
Yes there is still the usual homeless/ scam artists around but they are generally harmless
Even with the 'strong police and national guard presence' at Penn Station, all it takes is less than 5 seconds for a deranged individual to attack someone. I mean, they roam the station all day. That area in general has a lot of people selling drugs. To be frank, many of them don't seem like they are native New Yorkers. They don't have the New York look or vibe.

That area is beginning to remind me like that 125th Street & Lex Avenue used to look like a few years ago.

Old 08-31-2021, 02:17 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,681,758 times
The Moynihan Station part is sparkling new, and clean. But given that it's on the West Side, it's empty as heck!

And yes, Penn Station needs some serious re-doing.

Old 08-31-2021, 08:53 AM

63 posts, read 39,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midtown07 View Post
Even with the 'strong police and national guard presence' at Penn Station, all it takes is less than 5 seconds for a deranged individual to attack someone. I mean, they roam the station all day. That area in general has a lot of people selling drugs. To be frank, many of them don't seem like they are native New Yorkers. They don't have the New York look or vibe.

That area is beginning to remind me like that 125th Street & Lex Avenue used to look like a few years ago.

Yes i agree with the point of some of New Yorks problems in recent times is due in part to many native new yorkers going out of state - and transplants moving in
I have heard others observe this as well
Its as if new york has "lost its spirit" over time in a sense

As far as Penn Station goes - stay alert and vigilant as you would in any other major transit hub
There have been improvements/construction going on recently so it may look different from what you remember if you havent visited in a while

Old 08-31-2021, 09:21 AM

8,395 posts, read 4,420,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Sliwa is a buffoon who had his 15 minutes of fame 40 years ago.

I use the 7th ave entrance. Make a beeline for the escalator, (used to grab a bite at Pret before they closed) and then just wait for my train. Ignore everything else and you’re fine. I know people disagree, but I don’t think it compares to port authority which I avoid like the plague.
Really? I think Port Authority is bad, but Penn Station is way worse, the ratio of potentially violent people to travelers/commuters is much higher at and around Penn Station. That is why I switched to going between Boston and NYC by bus, even though I normally greatly prefer train.

Also, from Port Authority, it is only a couple of blocks to Bryant Park and the library, where the danger decreases sharply. It is a much longer way to run the gauntlet from Penn Station to relative safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City