Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2021, 06:53 AM

80 posts, read 65,351 times

Advertisements

Hey, does anyone here know where are the practice tests that I can take online? I tried googling for them, but I haven’t been able to find much resources out there. Also, is there like an e-book or something? Second, if 100 people get the same score, how does DSNY number each candidate on the hiring list?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2021, 07:11 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,969,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTT View Post
Hey, does anyone here know where are the practice tests that I can take online? I tried googling for them, but I haven’t been able to find much resources out there. Also, is there like an e-book or something? Second, if 100 people get the same score, how does DSNY number each candidate on the hiring list?
As far as practice material, when I took it in 2007 I don’t remember there being much. It’s very basic math and reading comprehension, some map reading etc.

As far as the scoring question, tie scores are ranked by the last 5 digits of their SS #. For example candidate A last 5 is (12345) candidate B is (11234) candidate C is (11123) if they all got 100. Then they would be in order CBA.

Basically you have to get them all right to have a chance to get hired as there is normally a lot of ties for the score 105+ (perfect score plus residency credit and other score credits).

Good luck.

Old 11-20-2021, 07:22 AM

So you cannot have even one wrong? Also, I heard it’s impossible to score over 105 unless you have a family legacy or military discharge right? And if everyone has 105, the ones with further SSN is hired first??

Old 11-20-2021, 07:40 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,129,512 times
I took this test and passed with a 94 or 95 score in the late 1990's. It was not too difficult. One question about safe handling had a can of paper, a can with glass shards and some other dangerous object in it. Was asked which was safest to pick up. I never forgot that one. Never got called for physical exam or any follow up though.

Old 11-20-2021, 08:13 AM

And how do they go about hiring as far as people with CDLs already vs people without CDLs? How many people who take the sanitation test have CDLs or many test takers don’t have them?

Old 11-20-2021, 03:11 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,969,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTT View Post
So you cannot have even one wrong? Also, I heard it’s impossible to score over 105 unless you have a family legacy or military discharge right? And if everyone has 105, the ones with further SSN is hired first??
You CAN, but it significantly hurts your chances of getting hired, and it definitely prolongs your wait.

When I took the test in 2007, I got a 100 (95+5) and I got hired 6 years later with a list number in the 3,000 range. The current test from 2015 and they’re in up to the 9,000 range and still haven’t hit the 100 scores. The test has gotten more and more competitive. There are 3 credits you can get which can theoretically make the highest score 135. 100 plus 5 for residency, plus 10 for disabled military, 10 for parent killed in line of duty on 9/11 and 10 for sibling killed on 9/11 during line of duty. (Non disabled vet is 5).

As far as CDL normally you NEED to have a CDL B before they will hire you (DSNY offers a pre employment cdl training to help you get license that you pay back in installments once hired), however during covid they have hired people with just a permit and give them a certain amount of time to get the license until they’re let go. I don’t know if this practice will continue. To make yourself the most competitive just avoid the situation and get your license on your own before your close to getting hired and you’ll likely skip other unprepared candidates.

Old 11-20-2021, 03:32 PM

161 posts, read 261,096 times
Well said!

Old 11-20-2021, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikfleye3 View Post
You CAN, but it significantly hurts your chances of getting hired, and it definitely prolongs your wait.

When I took the test in 2007, I got a 100 (95+5) and I got hired 6 years later with a list number in the 3,000 range. The current test from 2015 and they’re in up to the 9,000 range and still haven’t hit the 100 scores. The test has gotten more and more competitive. There are 3 credits you can get which can theoretically make the highest score 135. 100 plus 5 for residency, plus 10 for disabled military, 10 for parent killed in line of duty on 9/11 and 10 for sibling killed on 9/11 during line of duty. (Non disabled vet is 5).

As far as CDL normally you NEED to have a CDL B before they will hire you (DSNY offers a pre employment cdl training to help you get license that you pay back in installments once hired), however during covid they have hired people with just a permit and give them a certain amount of time to get the license until they’re let go. I don’t know if this practice will continue. To make yourself the most competitive just avoid the situation and get your license on your own before your close to getting hired and you’ll likely skip other unprepared candidates.
My question is do a lot of the sanitation test takers have CDL already or most of them don’t and need further training? I already have my CDL B with N endorsement. I need advice on how to score 105 because I can’t find any practice resources online besides the jobtestprep website. Third, sounds like they need to tone down on the standards in terms of inflating scores for 9/11 candidates and discharged military recruits because it seems like they’re geared to hiring only them.

Old 11-20-2021, 04:53 PM

161 posts, read 261,096 times
Honestly the test in really just common sense.
It’s really as simple as basic logistics.

Potential Question (with diagram)
If you have a double parked car and the trash is here what is the best and most efficient way to get the trash to the truck.

It’s really simple. Trust me you should see some of the geniuses on the job.
You need to get over 100 (1 wrong with either residency or military credit of 5 points) will get you there.

Just read the questions a few times and take your time. They use a lot of trick questions and ask you the same question 10 different ways.

If you don’t live in the 5 boroughs or have military then I suggest you find someone that lives in the boroughs and have one of your bills sent there.

As far as CDL get it now or at least have your permit. DSNY will train you and get you a road test. I doubt they’ll be hiring again without licenses. It’s been a nightmare working with guys with no licenses and it’s only gonna get worse this winter.

I’m sure I’m leaving out a lot of info but good luck to anyone taking the test. As much ad guys ***** anout the job it really is great. Pay sucks in the beginning but after 3.5 years you
Could actually make close to 100k believe it or not and that’s with a 50k base salary.

Old 11-20-2021, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Bx11 View Post
Honestly the test in really just common sense.
It’s really as simple as basic logistics.

Potential Question (with diagram)
If you have a double parked car and the trash is here what is the best and most efficient way to get the trash to the truck.

It’s really simple. Trust me you should see some of the geniuses on the job.
You need to get over 100 (1 wrong with either residency or military credit of 5 points) will get you there.

Just read the questions a few times and take your time. They use a lot of trick questions and ask you the same question 10 different ways.

If you don’t live in the 5 boroughs or have military then I suggest you find someone that lives in the boroughs and have one of your bills sent there.

As far as CDL get it now or at least have your permit. DSNY will train you and get you a road test. I doubt they’ll be hiring again without licenses. It’s been a nightmare working with guys with no licenses and it’s only gonna get worse this winter.

I’m sure I’m leaving out a lot of info but good luck to anyone taking the test. As much ad guys ***** anout the job it really is great. Pay sucks in the beginning but after 3.5 years you
Could actually make close to 100k believe it or not and that’s with a 50k base salary.
I have infractions on my DMV record, but have maintained good behavior since my last offense. If I be honest to them about it, will they look past my history? I have not repeated any infractions since then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City