Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2022, 01:29 PM

18,476 posts, read 31,648,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by koctail View Post
72/66 is cold??

I set mine to 58/48 . And even them my combined electric/gas bill is $150-200/month for 1800 square feet townhouse.

That is freezing, and would also be a call to 311.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2022, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnomaboidenapolis View Post
Yep, prepare for a cost of living crisis. The left LOVES to bring down people's standard of living in the name of "saving the planet™." Want to stay warm in winter? Pay up, chum. The WOKE are in charge.

eff the planet, half my life is over, now give me the GD heat

Old 02-09-2022, 04:32 PM

5,687 posts, read 2,615,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I agree. I choose not to procreate so the heck with the planet. I want to be warm and not go in debt to do so.

Old 02-10-2022, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90ssitcom View Post
i agree. I choose not to procreate so the heck with the planet. i want to be warm and not go in debt to do so.

amen to that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-10-2022, 07:01 AM

31,918 posts, read 26,999,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

Old 02-10-2022, 09:39 AM

8,936 posts, read 4,771,340 times
My bill was actually a great deal lower than years past. Been using the space heater less this time around, I guess...
Yep, just got a monthly Home Energy usage report from Con Ed saying congrats! I used 8% less energy compared to similar households & even beat the "energy efficient households". lol.

Surging Con Ed Bills Leave New Yorkers With Electric Burns

https://www.thecity.nyc/2022/2/9/229...electric-burns

Households in New York City are seeing big spikes in what they’re being charged this month, even though many aren’t using significantly more juice. We explain why, and what you can do.

Old 02-12-2022, 11:33 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,360,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
I wouldn't say you run cold when you keep your temp at 72/66. Brrrrr I wouldn't be freezing at those temps.
66 is while I am under big blankets in bed with another body next to mine. It's only because we have trouble breathing at night otherwise.

72 and I am usually still under a blanket on the couch. And still always in a sweater/sweatshirt/etc.

Old 02-18-2022, 12:53 PM

Utility Debt Mounting for New Yorkers Looking for Current Help
Rising energy costs amid the pandemic are leaving some New Yorkers underwater.

https://www.thecity.nyc/economy/2022...r-current-help

Higher utility bills are compounding unprecedented levels of debt, and consumer advocates say more public funds should be allocated for people who are behind on their payments.

“We’ve never had a level of unpaid utility debt like this,” said Richard Berkley, executive director of the Public Utility Law Project. “These are unpaid bills that the people owe them have no reasonable likelihood of being able to handle so where we’re creating a multi generational debt.... It’s a massive crisis.”

Across the state, almost 1.3 million residential gas and electric customers are 60 or more days behind on their bills to the tune of over $1.7 billion, according to an analysis by THE CITY of data provided to the state by 10 utility companies.

That includes 411,694 residential Con Ed customers in New York City and Westchester, who collectively owe $819,224,604, based on figures for January 2022.

Nine of the utility companies submitted data for the same time period in 2020 before the pandemic. Since then, considering the same nine companies’ latest data, the number of residential customers in arrears increased by over 32% and the total debt owed more than doubled.

A statewide pandemic-related moratorium on utility shut-offs for nonpayment expired Dec. 22. Although utilities have not reported cutting any residential customer’s gas or electricity, many people behind on their bills have received termination notices, the data shows.

The city, state and utility companies have been encouraging customers to apply for assistance and to enroll in payment plans, but whether enough has been allocated to prevent shut-offs is an open question.

Meanwhile, Con Ed says it’s examining how its billing practices affect customers after the state requested a review — and New York City residential customers will receive a small credit for the supply rates.

“This level of price volatility is of concern to all,” state Public Service Commission Chair Rory Christian Thursday said at a commission meeting, during which he emphasized that neither Con Ed nor the state controls energy supply rates.

“This experience serves as a reminder that we must consider energy affordability in every action we take,” he added.

Old 02-19-2022, 03:37 PM

The electric bill is too damn high: Here’s why and what you can do about it

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...ll-last-3.html

People across New York state have opened their mailboxes in the last few weeks to find a nasty surprise waiting in the form of unseasonably high electric bills.

Governor Kathy Hochul has since called for Con Edison to reform its billing practices, and regulators at the Public Service Commission (PSC) say the utility company needs to better prepare its energy reserves – and its customers – for times when prices spike.

But that doesn’t immediately help the many New Yorkers who are suddenly seeing bills two or three times higher than usual for the winter months. These uncertainties paired with the complex nature of New York’s energy utilities has left ratepayers upset by the unexpected bills, confused about why this happened, and what can be done about it.

Here are some answers...

Old 02-19-2022, 03:51 PM

4,198 posts, read 4,088,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Meanwhile, Con Ed says it’s examining how its billing practices affect customers after the state requested a review — and New York City residential customers will receive a small credit for the supply rates.
I guess a small credit is better than none at all but this is not a new issue. I posted here years ago how the electric supply charge per kWh could be 6 cents one month and 18 cents the next month. The bill is so complicated with a breakdown of electric supply charges and delivery charges as well as the same for gas, plus the taxes and fees. Most people probably don’t look at anything but the amount due and don’t complain unless it goes up a huge amount like this month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: