Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2022, 10:07 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
I was in the WTC complex a half hour before the explosion and took the E train to the Citibank building in LIC where I worked. When I got there people had heard on the radio that there was an explosion in the WTC and they thought it was in the PATH station. They initially didn’t know if it was terrorism or some kind of accident.
Yes, we kept hearing something about a transformer down in PATH.

I had a completely different take. In 1993, we didn't immediately rush for the stairs the way we did in 2001 because the building just sort of shook and then the lights went out, whereas in 2001, the building jolted back and forth and things started crumbling and fire started shooting out of elevator shafts, and it was obvious that we had to GET.OUT.

So, because we were on the west side of One, and below is where the fire trucks always came whenever there was a call (which was pretty much every day, 99% of the time the smell of burnt popcorn wafting through the vent system), we looked out the windows to the ground to see what was going on.

On the ramp leading to the parking garage was a guy in suit, sprawled out unconscious. (Found out later this guy was thrown by the blast but survived.) Not many people knew because they kept it quiet, but two weeks before the bomb, someone in the contracting industry had been executed mob style in the parking garage while sitting in his car, a bullet behind his ear. So, when I saw this guy lying on the parking lot access ramp, I thought maybe the mob was using the WTC parking garages for hits and that a car bomb had gone off, a la The Godfather.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: