Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2022, 09:47 AM

88,596 posts, read 84,838,467 times

Advertisements

https://www.911memorial.org/connect/...ebruary26-1993

It was smoky and hard to breathe inside the crowded stairwells, which acted like a chimney. Some people I know were stuck inside elevators, which stopped when we lost power.

A few weeks later I had the opportunity to see the crater made by the bomb. It was enormous, and it was scary to stand at the edge of it, but it would pale in comparison to what happened eight years later.

Rest in peace to those who were killed that day.

Old 02-26-2022, 09:50 AM

34,100 posts, read 47,309,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
https://www.911memorial.org/connect/...ebruary26-1993

It was smoky and hard to breathe inside the crowded stairwells, which acted like a chimney. Some people I know were stuck inside elevators, which stopped when we lost power.

A few weeks later I had the opportunity to see the crater made by the bomb. It was enormous, and it was scary to stand at the edge of it, but it would pale in comparison to what happened eight years later.

Rest in peace to those who were killed that day.
I was a kid. I remember it snowed that day.
Do you remember how long people were stuck in elevators for? An hour or more?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2022, 10:54 AM

43,675 posts, read 44,416,401 times
I remember that day because it turned that I was coming down with a sinus infection (as I had a high fever the next day) and was feeling unwell. When I mentioned this to someone they dismissed my physical well being vs. what had happened at the WTC.

Old 02-26-2022, 11:14 AM

15,863 posts, read 14,487,406 times
I had a friend I worked with on a contract at a major bank. I'd left by that point, but he was still there. He also had a side job with a firm in World Trade. On his lunch break from job 1, he went to WTC to deal with job 2. He was there when the bomb went off. He was way up top. He wasn't hurt, but had to climb down ninety something stories, then go back to job 1, covered in soot.

Old 02-26-2022, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I was a kid. I remember it snowed that day.
Do you remember how long people were stuck in elevators for? An hour or more?
Yes, at least.
Yes, it was snowing!

Old 02-26-2022, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I remember that day because it turned that I was coming down with a sinus infection (as I had a high fever the next day) and was feeling unwell. When I mentioned this to someone they dismissed my physical well being vs. what had happened at the WTC.
Well, that wasn't very nice.

Old 02-26-2022, 05:13 PM

789 posts, read 487,901 times
Yep. I was in college at the time. While I was apolitical back then, I remember thinking that Clinton better do something about radical Islam terror before it gets out of hand "someday."

Years later, we know what happened. They finished the job.

Old 02-26-2022, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post
Yep. I was in college at the time. While I was apolitical back then, I remember thinking that Clinton better do something about radical Islam terror before it gets out of hand "someday."

Years later, we know what happened. They finished the job.
We always knew they'd be back. I worked with two different people who said next time they'd fly planes into the buildings. Nobody mentioned commercial--one thought it would be a small kamikaze plane loaded with explosives and the other figured a cargo plane, like FedEx, because the security at that part of EWR wasn't all that back then. (I figured it was going to be a truck bomb. No imagination.)

In retrospect, with the bollards and all the security equipment and procedures put in place in those buildings after 2/26/93, planes were really the only way they were going to be able to do it.

2/26 was frightening. 9/11 killed all fear of death for the rest of my life.

Old 02-27-2022, 08:10 AM

11,640 posts, read 12,712,586 times
My BIL was there that day. He had to walk down flights of stairs in the smoke. Fortunately for him, he was transferred to another location before the next attack.

Old 02-27-2022, 08:19 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,088,530 times
I was in the WTC complex a half hour before the explosion and took the E train to the Citibank building in LIC where I worked. When I got there people had heard on the radio that there was an explosion in the WTC and they thought it was in the PATH station. They initially didn’t know if it was terrorism or some kind of accident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: