Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2022, 04:56 AM

9,249 posts, read 24,105,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Because you asked…
Here is a link to a video with testimonials from constituents that her office has helped. The office has a great reputation in the community and she represents a diverse group of neighborhoods. I don’t know why you are unaware of this.

https://mobile.twitter.com/repaoc/st...21695529934851

Eta: I’m guessing you don’t live anywhere near or know anyone this district or you would not be questioning her resolve with constituent issues. The office has a great reputation on follow through.
Exactly!
Unlike 99% of the posters on here I live in her district so I can see and hear what's happening. Personally I didn't vote for her and don't really care for her or her antics but her visibility and popularity are unmistakable. Unlike most politicians her office has an almost legendary reputation for responding to constituents and fixing problems.

She went through my building and every building in my neighborhood and knocked on every door asking people to vote for her. I have seen her on the streets many ,many times since she got elected. The former congressman was invisible. Nobody ever saw him and his office never picked up the phone.

If anything I think she is more popular now than when she first got elected despite what the world outside of the district thinks.

I also think the new district lines from the latest redistricting will be more favorable to her and less favorable to a more centrist candidate so I don't think she is going anywhere right now.

Last edited by bluedog2; 03-12-2022 at 05:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2022, 05:12 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,270,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Exactly!
Unlike 99% of the posters on here I live in her district so I can see and hear what's happening. Personally I didn't vote for her and don't really care for her or her antics but her visibility and popularity are unmistakable. Unlike most politicians her office has an almost legendary reputation for responding to constituents and fixing problems.

She went through my building and every building in my neighborhood and knocked on every door asking people to vote for her. I have seen her on the streets many ,many times since she got elected. The former congressman was invisible. Nobody ever saw him and his office never picked up the phone.

If anything I think she is more popular now than when she first got elected despite what the world outside of the district thinks.
I live near her district and also know what you say to be true.
I don’t understand why people doubt this.
You can hate her or her politics but to say she doesn’t help or care for her constituents is false.
She is popular In her district for a reason.

Old 03-12-2022, 06:13 AM

8,703 posts, read 11,106,926 times
Quote:
You can hate her or her politics but to say she doesn’t help or care for her constituents is false.
serious question, what does she do for her disctrict?

How many bills did she introduce that became law?

Old 03-12-2022, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
serious question, what does she do for her disctrict?

How many bills did she introduce that became law?
Most congressmen and congresswomen are not legislators and many(again maybe most) never introduce or even co sponsor any legislation. The more traditional "nuts and bolts " role of a congressperson falls under the umbrella of "constituent services". It has always been that way. Many get re elected year after year for decades by "serving" their constituents in this way. Unless you live in the district you don't get to even vote let alone decide whether or how they are effective. The voters in the district are the only ones who get get to decide so it really doesn't matter what you think.

Al D'amato was nicknamed Senator Pothole for his delivery of constituent services and helpng citizens with their individual needs. He wore the nickname as a badge of honor. He was also very opinionated and controversial for his opinions.

Last edited by bluedog2; 03-12-2022 at 06:43 AM..

Old 03-12-2022, 06:37 AM

12,792 posts, read 8,327,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
I fully believe she will win another term. One thing I have learned after voting in 70% of all elections, most people like to bump their gums complaining and exhaust their twitter fingers.

Come election time it is the same 325 people at the poles. People just don't vote even though they complain to high heavens.

They only vote when it is 'popular' (like during the obama era) for the social media "I Voted" Clout.
So true...

Old 03-12-2022, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Ok, so name some things she has done for her district.

Old 03-12-2022, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
She doesn't have to do anything for her district at large. She just has to do something( anything, no matter how small... even a gesture) for enough of the individuals in the district who actually vote ...and then make sure that they and their family members do vote. She pops up in community board meetings, she pops up at block parties and she doesn't give speeches, she schmoozes. The longer she is in office the bigger the number of individuals she does something for( or has just touched in some way...even just a nod) gets. It just keeps growing and growing.

It's a pretty tried and true formula and I don't get why people don't understand that. It's not like she is the first politician to ever or the only politician currently using this formula.
It might be maddening to watch but it shouldn't be hard to understand.

Marjorie Taylor Greene is also maddening to watch or listen to and I don't think she has ever done anything for her district but she obviously has a visceral appeal to her constituents. She is a voice and that seems to be enough for her voters.

Last edited by bluedog2; 03-12-2022 at 07:22 AM..

Old 03-12-2022, 07:09 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,270,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
The mobilization of the covid vaccine vans to local service, food and undocumented workers was impressive imo. One of the best outreach jobs in the country for making it easy for those wanting to get the vaccine at a time when the cases were high.
You may not have liked this initiative but it was very popular.

Old 03-12-2022, 07:16 AM

Quote:
The mobilization of the covid vaccine vans to local service, food and undocumented workers was impressive imo. One of the best outreach jobs in the country for making it easy for those wanting to get the vaccine at a time when the cases were high.
You may not have liked this initiative but it was very popular.
Not about what I like. Just looking for something that set her apart, given how she runs her mouth. In short, she hasn't done anything that any other elected official hasn't done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
She doesn't have to do anything for her district at large. She just has to do something( anything, no matter how small... even a gesture) for enough of the individuals in the district who actually vote ...and then make sure that they and their family members do vote. The longer she is in office the bigger the number of individuals she does something for gets. It just keeps growing and growing.

It's a pretty tried and true formula and I don't get why people don't understand that. It's not like she is the first or the only politician currently using this formula.
That's true for any elected official as far as I'm concerned, since voter turnout is so poor. I asked because I see her on TV running her big mouth, but wanted some specifics. That's what I find pathetic. For all of her talking, she hasn't done THAT much.

Old 03-12-2022, 07:27 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,248,268 times
She has done a lot actually...a lot of damage that is. The Biden administration and Democrats have been using her Green New Deal (well, not actually her’s but she is one of the biggest loudmouths yapping about it) as a guiding principle and the result of it so far is higher energy prices and inflation. The irony of which is that it is hitting the hardest the poor and lower income groups she claims to be fighting for.

And of course, since the poor is struggling from that inflation, the AOC and the Democrats will come to their “rescue” with more government giveaways and she and the Democrats will be hailed as saviors of the poor by the Leftist fanboys like foodyum, Bluedog, Cida, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City