Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2022, 10:43 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,262,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownpine View Post
Dude, you're totally wrong on this one. Bx7 or Bx10 to Riverdale is your own option into Manhattan using mass transit. Go to Google Maps and plug in one of the Skyview addresses and see what Maps tells you. Because you "know" one person who drives to the Upper West, EVERYBODY drives and takes Metro-North?

And it's not being frugal...it's about being rational. Why would someone pay to take a bus to Metro-North, pay the rail ticket ($265/mo), then pay another $2.75 ($127/mo) for the subway? That's $392/mo versus $127/mo. Who overpays for transportation when they don't have to?

If you have THAT kind of money to pay for transportation, why would you live there? If you work in Riverdale or Upstate (or from home), I think Skyview can be quite nice. Otherwise, it's too far, IMO. I would think the OP is rational enough to know that commuting from SkyView to the city will be either a very long or very expensive consideration on top of purchasing a coop there which are not cheap.
I agree with you in theory but many people make irrational decisions when it comes to housing in NY because of the expense.

There are loads of people who buy in LI but commute 2-3 hours each day wasting time and/or gas when they could've just put that money into a more expensive property in Brooklyn or Queens upfront. That are people that do this for decades.

I imagine it's the same for places like SkyView. People see a seeming "bargain" but get tired of the commute and just spend extra for the metro-north. $265/month is a cheap way to vastly improve your QOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2022, 11:24 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,300,808 times
Quote:
Define far? See your bolded text. Why is someone moving to the Bronx to take Metro-North south into the city? I would think people live in the boroughs so they can take mass transit.

And who's DRIVING in Manhattan for work? If you have that kind of money for tolls and parking, you're probably not living at the Skyview.
Quote:
Dude, you're totally wrong on this one. Bx7 or Bx10 to Riverdale is your own option into Manhattan using mass transit. Go to Google Maps and plug in one of the Skyview addresses and see what Maps tells you. Because you "know" one person who drives to the Upper West, EVERYBODY drives and takes Metro-North?

And it's not being frugal...it's about being rational. Why would someone pay to take a bus to Metro-North, pay the rail ticket ($265/mo), then pay another $2.75 ($127/mo) for the subway? That's $392/mo versus $127/mo. Who overpays for transportation when they don't have to?

If you have THAT kind of money to pay for transportation, why would you live there? If you work in Riverdale or Upstate (or from home), I think Skyview can be quite nice. Otherwise, it's too far, IMO. I would think the OP is rational enough to know that commuting from SkyView to the city will be either a very long or very expensive consideration on top of purchasing a coop there which are not cheap.
Where did I say everyone drives or takes Metro-North? That wasn't my point. My point was it is not that far of a commute. There are people that live and work in Manhattan that commute 30-40 minutes to work. Give me a break.

You also don't know anything about commuting from such areas. I commute to work either by car, railroad or express bus. Many people do such commutes in areas without subways. Douglaston, Little Neck, Whitestone, Bayside, etc. You take the railroad into Manhattan. It's a 30 minute ride or less and if you work in Midtown near the train, there is no transferring. Riverdale like other such neighborhoods is an upper class area. You are moving to such areas vs the suburbs because you aren't paying high property taxes like you would in Westchester or Long Island, not because you are broke. lol

Why would someone who has a 15 minute commute by car take the bus to the subway which would take almost triple the time? Make it make sense. I believe residents in Riverdale get a discount crossing the Henry Hudson Bridge, so the toll is not astronomical either. Looking at some stats for Riverdale, the percentage of people that driver versus those who take mass transit is substantial. There is a mix since everyone has different commutes.

Old 06-25-2022, 12:00 PM

621 posts, read 241,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Where did I say everyone drives or takes Metro-North? That wasn't my point. My point was it is not that far of a commute. There are people that live and work in Manhattan that commute 30-40 minutes to work. Give me a break.

You also don't know anything about commuting from such areas. I commute to work either by car, railroad or express bus. Many people do such commutes in areas without subways. Douglaston, Little Neck, Whitestone, Bayside, etc. You take the railroad into Manhattan. It's a 30 minute ride or less and if you work in Midtown near the train, there is no transferring. Riverdale like other such neighborhoods is an upper class area. You are moving to such areas vs the suburbs because you aren't paying high property taxes like you would in Westchester or Long Island, not because you are broke. lol

Why would someone who has a 15 minute commute by car take the bus to the subway which would take almost triple the time? Make it make sense. I believe residents in Riverdale get a discount crossing the Henry Hudson Bridge, so the toll is not astronomical either. Looking at some stats for Riverdale, the percentage of people that driver versus those who take mass transit is substantial. There is a mix since everyone has different commutes.

You're right - I don't commute b/c I pay to live closer enough to the city that I don't have to take LIRR, Metro-North, or otherwise. I suspect that many people who have moved back into the city are doing so for the same reasons. The OP is looking at the Skyview Coop - that's not what I would consider an upper-class neighborhood. After all, it is a cooperative in the Bronx and not on the UES. Heck, I was looking there myself b/c I'm not upper class.

If anyone is looking to move to the Bronx, it's b/c he/she is price-conscious enough that they're not going to buy (or can't buy) in Queens/Bklyn/Manhattan. And where do you get off with a 15 minute commute by car...during rush hour? Try upwards of 1 hour to get to midtown. NYC is ranked in the top-3 for traffic in the country. And if you're driving into the city, don't you have to pay for parking? If I'm going to do all that, I'll just live in the city. I'd rather build home equity than blow it all on transportation.

Please share your commuting stats on driving vs mass transit in Riverdale - I'd like to learn something new today.

Old 06-25-2022, 02:25 PM

Quote:
You're right - I don't commute b/c I pay to live closer enough to the city that I don't have to take LIRR, Metro-North, or otherwise. I suspect that many people who have moved back into the city are doing so for the same reasons. The OP is looking at the Skyview Coop - that's not what I would consider an upper-class neighborhood. After all, it is a cooperative in the Bronx and not on the UES. Heck, I was looking there myself b/c I'm not upper class.

If anyone is looking to move to the Bronx, it's b/c he/she is price-conscious enough that they're not going to buy (or can't buy) in Queens/Bklyn/Manhattan. And where do you get off with a 15 minute commute by car...during rush hour? Try upwards of 1 hour to get to midtown. NYC is ranked in the top-3 for traffic in the country. And if you're driving into the city, don't you have to pay for parking? If I'm going to do all that, I'll just live in the city. I'd rather build home equity than blow it all on transportation.

Please share your commuting stats on driving vs mass transit in Riverdale - I'd like to learn something new today.
I see reading is not your strong point. I said Riverdale to the Upper West Side. He leaves early enough that traffic is not an issue and it is doable in 15 minutes and he can park on the street.

You are trying to compare Riverdale to Manhattan. There is no comparison and it has nothing to do with money per se. I have known quite a few people over the years that lived in Manhattan and moved to Riverdale, and they did so because they wanted to be close to Manhattan, but still live in a nice quiet area, get more space and yes pay a bit less. Of course Riverdale is cheaper compared to Manhattan, but there are a few reasons that co-ops in Riverdale are so affordable. For starters, there are many co-ops to choose from, which usually means a glut of them sit. Second, there is no subway in most of Riverdale. Many people see that as a negative, but it also lends itself to the area feeling quieter and more suburban. You get the best of both worlds in Riverdale. A suburban feeling in some parts, but you are still in NYC. Now if you want to buy a condo or a house, you can easily pay north of a million dollars, so don't stereotype the entire area as not being upper class. Riverdale offers an array of options for different people.

There are lots of people that live in such areas and it isn't because they can't necessarily afford Manhattan either. My ex-girlfriend lives in Manhattan. We talked about perhaps living together, and quite frankly, I have no desire whatsoever to live there and I can afford to. It is dirty, crowded and noisy. I prefer living outside of Manhattan. In the summer months, it is less humid, the air feels cleaner and I have a large residence to come home to. Birds chirping, etc. and I am still close enough to Manhattan that I can go in for dinner or a show or what have you. I didn't grow up in Manhattan (born and raised in the outer boroughs and very proud of it), so Manhattan is great for entertainment, but at the end of the day, I want to come home to peace and quiet. Many of my friends live there as well. Years ago, I went to a Slayer concert up in Connecticut with some friends. We came back to the City and I crashed at a friend's place. Got up early to head home and the first thing I thought of was how filthy Manhattan was (he lived just off of 5th Avenue south of 14th St) on a nice tree lined street, but Union Square was disgusting at that hour on a Sunday morning.

Transportation is really not an issue now for those of us working mainly from home. I go to my office once or twice a week. The other days I work from home. Sometimes I go to New Jersey by car or Long Island or even Westchester or further north. There is far more to NYC than just Manhattan and not everyone is "poor" because they don't live in Manhattan. lol

Commuting by car is actually quite popular in Riverdale.

https://www.point2homes.com/US/Neigh...ographics.html

You will also see that the median income overall is about $90,000, but that is deceiving, as Riverdale is a natural retirement community with many seniors. There are areas like Fieldston where the median income is over $150,000, right on par with parts of Manhattan, with homes in the millions. Yes, it is the Bronx, but it is not a slum.

Speaking of the Upper East Side, I was there doing some shopping recently and along Madison Avenue, there was a rat smashed almost in the middle of the street. This was around 80th St. Disgusting. I don't deal with stuff like that in my neighborhood. lol

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 06-25-2022 at 02:40 PM..

Old 06-26-2022, 02:05 AM

Quote:
I see reading is not your strong point. I said Riverdale to the Upper West Side. He leaves early enough that traffic is not an issue and it is doable in 15 minutes and he can park on the street.

You are trying to compare Riverdale to Manhattan. There is no comparison and it has nothing to do with money per se. I have known quite a few people over the years that lived in Manhattan and moved to Riverdale, and they did so because they wanted to be close to Manhattan, but still live in a nice quiet area, get more space and yes pay a bit less. Of course Riverdale is cheaper compared to Manhattan, but there are a few reasons that co-ops in Riverdale are so affordable. For starters, there are many co-ops to choose from, which usually means a glut of them sit. Second, there is no subway in most of Riverdale. Many people see that as a negative, but it also lends itself to the area feeling quieter and more suburban. You get the best of both worlds in Riverdale. A suburban feeling in some parts, but you are still in NYC. Now if you want to buy a condo or a house, you can easily pay north of a million dollars, so don't stereotype the entire area as not being upper class. Riverdale offers an array of options for different people.

There are lots of people that live in such areas and it isn't because they can't necessarily afford Manhattan either. My ex-girlfriend lives in Manhattan. We talked about perhaps living together, and quite frankly, I have no desire whatsoever to live there and I can afford to. It is dirty, crowded and noisy. I prefer living outside of Manhattan. In the summer months, it is less humid, the air feels cleaner and I have a large residence to come home to. Birds chirping, etc. and I am still close enough to Manhattan that I can go in for dinner or a show or what have you. I didn't grow up in Manhattan (born and raised in the outer boroughs and very proud of it), so Manhattan is great for entertainment, but at the end of the day, I want to come home to peace and quiet. Many of my friends live there as well. Years ago, I went to a Slayer concert up in Connecticut with some friends. We came back to the City and I crashed at a friend's place. Got up early to head home and the first thing I thought of was how filthy Manhattan was (he lived just off of 5th Avenue south of 14th St) on a nice tree lined street, but Union Square was disgusting at that hour on a Sunday morning.

Transportation is really not an issue now for those of us working mainly from home. I go to my office once or twice a week. The other days I work from home. Sometimes I go to New Jersey by car or Long Island or even Westchester or further north. There is far more to NYC than just Manhattan and not everyone is "poor" because they don't live in Manhattan. lol

Commuting by car is actually quite popular in Riverdale.

https://www.point2homes.com/US/Neigh...ographics.html

You will also see that the median income overall is about $90,000, but that is deceiving, as Riverdale is a natural retirement community with many seniors. There are areas like Fieldston where the median income is over $150,000, right on par with parts of Manhattan, with homes in the millions. Yes, it is the Bronx, but it is not a slum.

Speaking of the Upper East Side, I was there doing some shopping recently and along Madison Avenue, there was a rat smashed almost in the middle of the street. This was around 80th St. Disgusting. I don't deal with stuff like that in my neighborhood. lol

If reading is not my strong suit, conflating a subject and not staying on topic is not your strong suit. You posted this long response and not once did you mention Skyview. You're conflating Skyview coops with the larger Riverdale region. We can't have a healthy debate if you're talking about something broader than what I'm talking about (and what the OP asked about).

I'm well aware of the demographics and HHI of Riverdale. Glad to see you know a bit about it yourself. I understand why some people live in Manhattan while others do not. But generally-speaking, most people would probably prefer living in Manhattan (or close to it) if they can afford to.

Working from home is not an option for many people. I would never pick a place to live on the notion that I will be working indefinitely from home. Where I live has to be convenient enough for me to get to a job or else it's not worth it.

You mentioned in your earlier post that " the percentage of people that driver versus those who take mass transit is substantial." Now I thank you for presenting your data source (it's actually a decent website that I never heard of before). But the final graph which talks about modes of transportation is not believable. Apparently, not only is driving substantial versus mass transit, zero surveyed people take the subway and only a small # of people take the bus. This makes no sense, especially in the context of your earlier point of taken Metro-North. I didn't think you would have that data b/c it's not an easy feat to track the # of people taking mass transit vs driving.

And regarding filth in Manhattan, I agree. But you can say the same about pockets of all the boroughs. My block in Queens have racoons, skunks, and rats running the streets at night.

I will say that when I visited Skyview, it appeared very clean.

Old 06-26-2022, 07:00 AM

Quote:
If reading is not my strong suit, conflating a subject and not staying on topic is not your strong suit. You posted this long response and not once did you mention Skyview. You're conflating Skyview coops with the larger Riverdale region. We can't have a healthy debate if you're talking about something broader than what I'm talking about (and what the OP asked about).

I'm well aware of the demographics and HHI of Riverdale. Glad to see you know a bit about it yourself. I understand why some people live in Manhattan while others do not. But generally-speaking, most people would probably prefer living in Manhattan (or close to it) if they can afford to.

Working from home is not an option for many people. I would never pick a place to live on the notion that I will be working indefinitely from home. Where I live has to be convenient enough for me to get to a job or else it's not worth it.

You mentioned in your earlier post that " the percentage of people that driver versus those who take mass transit is substantial." Now I thank you for presenting your data source (it's actually a decent website that I never heard of before). But the final graph which talks about modes of transportation is not believable. Apparently, not only is driving substantial versus mass transit, zero surveyed people take the subway and only a small # of people take the bus. This makes no sense, especially in the context of your earlier point of taken Metro-North. I didn't think you would have that data b/c it's not an easy feat to track the # of people taking mass transit vs driving.

And regarding filth in Manhattan, I agree. But you can say the same about pockets of all the boroughs. My block in Queens have racoons, skunks, and rats running the streets at night.

I will say that when I visited Skyview, it appeared very clean.
How so? Most co-ops in Riverdale fall under the same price points of Skyview, so it's actually very much on-topic. Skyview is unique in that it is probably one of the largest co-ops in the greater Riverdale area. Given its location (being the furthest away from the subway and somewhat isolated), the price points are totally understandable. I don't know anyone that doesn't want affordable housing, unless they are part of the upper echelon who have no problem spending money on various properties just because. You make that seem like a bad thing. It is I suppose if you are concerned about what other people think.

Regarding the commute, there was a website that I saw that gave a better breakdown of what you requested, but I can't locate it at the moment. If I do, I'll post it.

Regarding working from home, so what? You seem to be under the assumption that Manhattan is the center of the universe and "my long winded post" is defending the building and neighborhood that you are essentially giving a bad rep. to because of your Manhattan centric point of view. The big point here for the OP is to think about THEIR lifestyle living there. For those living there, it obviously works. You are essentially telling the OP that because it doesn't work for you, it shouldn't work for them. I'm basically arguing the other side and showing that the OP should keep an open mind. I brought up the filth in Manhattan because you seem to be under the impression that living in an expensive part of Manhattan makes it better. Clearly not the case for some things.

To the OP, I would visit the area on multiple occasions. Go by car, drive around, walk around. Get a feel for the area. Think about the commute, etc. I will say that the neighborhood has not historically been known for having great eats, but it seems as if that is changing. Last time I was up there to visit some friends, we went a new coffee spot and a new Italian place, not too far from Skyview.

Your posts remind me of shows I've seen where people live in Manhattan and cringe at the idea of having to even visit an outer borough, which is soooo beneath them.

Old 06-26-2022, 03:33 PM

66 posts, read 85,365 times
Hey all, OP here. Appreciate all your thoughts. Commuting is not an issue for us, as it happens. Would still love more feedback on skyview! Thanks again!

Old 06-26-2022, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boleex View Post
Hey all, OP here. Appreciate all your thoughts. Commuting is not an issue for us, as it happens. Would still love more feedback on skyview! Thanks again!
What do you want to know in particular? It's a well maintained building, that much I do know.

Old 06-26-2022, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boleex View Post

That's good that commuting is not an issue. This might be old hat for you, but check this out:
https://streeteasy.com/complex/skyview-on-the-hudson

You can get a lot of good information on recent purchases and rentals.

Quote:
How so? Most co-ops in Riverdale fall under the same price points of Skyview, so it's actually very much on-topic. Skyview is unique in that it is probably one of the largest co-ops in the greater Riverdale area. Given its location (being the furthest away from the subway and somewhat isolated), the price points are totally understandable. I don't know anyone that doesn't want affordable housing, unless they are part of the upper echelon who have no problem spending money on various properties just because. You make that seem like a bad thing. It is I suppose if you are concerned about what other people think.

How do you know this for sure? I don't think Skyview is considered affordable housing. The coop I looked at was $700k - not really all that affordable for a lot of people. I didn't follow what you meant when you said that I make "something" seem like a bad thing.

Regarding the commute, there was a website that I saw that gave a better breakdown of what you requested, but I can't locate it at the moment. If I do, I'll post it.

No need beating this horse since the OP says commuting is an issue. We'll agree to disagree.

Regarding working from home, so what? You seem to be under the assumption that Manhattan is the center of the universe and "my long winded post" is defending the building and neighborhood that you are essentially giving a bad rep. to because of your Manhattan centric point of view. The big point here for the OP is to think about THEIR lifestyle living there. For those living there, it obviously works. You are essentially telling the OP that because it doesn't work for you, it shouldn't work for them. I'm basically arguing the other side and showing that the OP should keep an open mind. I brought up the filth in Manhattan because you seem to be under the impression that living in an expensive part of Manhattan makes it better. Clearly not the case for some things.

Manhattan is the center of the universe. Jobs, mass transit, wealth - it's all concentrated on the island. There's no debate here.

To the OP, I would visit the area on multiple occasions. Go by car, drive around, walk around. Get a feel for the area. Think about the commute, etc. I will say that the neighborhood has not historically been known for having great eats, but it seems as if that is changing. Last time I was up there to visit some friends, we went a new coffee spot and a new Italian place, not too far from Skyview.

Your posts remind me of shows I've seen where people live in Manhattan and cringe at the idea of having to even visit an outer borough, which is soooo beneath them.

I'm from Queens - born and raised.

Old 06-27-2022, 07:04 AM

Quote:
How do you know this for sure? I don't think Skyview is considered affordable housing. The coop I looked at was $700k - not really all that affordable for a lot of people. I didn't follow what you meant when you said that I make "something" seem like a bad thing.

Manhattan is the center of the universe. Jobs, mass transit, wealth - it's all concentrated on the island. There's no debate here.

I'm from Queens - born and raised.
That makes it even worse that you are born and raised in Queens.

How can you argue that Skyview isn't affordable for most people, but state earlier that most people aren't moving there because it's so expensive? In the overall scheme of things, 700k can be considered affordable in this very hot housing market, but most people need a one or a two bedroom, which does not cost 700k, so there is that as well. Regardless, put a similar apartment of the size you looked at on the UES and you are not paying 700k for it.

Your other argument about Manhattan being the center of the universe... I would expect that response from a transplant, not a native New Yorker. You have to know that there had been substantial gains in job growth in the outer boroughs and so while yes, Manhattan is very much the place for most jobs, that is not as true as it was years ago. Wealth to some extent has also moved out to places like Brooklyn. Years ago, people from Manhattan wouldn't dare consider anything in the outer boroughs in places like Brooklyn. That too is changing. My point to you is for someone that is supposedly from here, your viewpoint is quite outdated. Yes, Manhattan is very much in demand, very much still wealthy, a major job center, etc., but if someone lives in the outer boroughs, they are not somehow relegated to a life of misery. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City