Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2022, 08:31 AM

34,099 posts, read 47,309,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Define far? It's maybe 40 minutes from Grand Central with Metro-North. If you drive to Manhattan, depending on where one works, you can be in the office in 20-30 minutes.
I just plugged in directions on Google for 5900 Arlington to GCT via public transportation and it says 1 hr 3 mins. Granted it's a Saturday, but I was curious of the distance. Now it's up to the individual if they consider that a short or long commute. It involves walking to the Bx7, taking the bus to Marble Hill Station, then Metro-North to GCT.

Driving is about 32-36 minutes, but I think anybody who would be driving to Manhattan from Riverdale for work has some sweet Manhattan parking arrangement.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2022, 10:26 AM

12,790 posts, read 8,298,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I just plugged in directions on Google for 5900 Arlington to GCT via public transportation and it says 1 hr 3 mins. Granted it's a Saturday, but I was curious of the distance. Now it's up to the individual if they consider that a short or long commute. It involves walking to the Bx7, taking the bus to Marble Hill Station, then Metro-North to GCT.

Driving is about 32-36 minutes, but I think anybody who would be driving to Manhattan from Riverdale for work has some sweet Manhattan parking arrangement.
I know people who live in Riverdale and drive to work on the Upper West Side. It's 15-20 minutes for them. They don't live in North Riverdale, but still. Why would anyone take the Bx7 all the way to Marble Hill when there is a Riverdale Metro-North station? I believe that complex also provides their own shuttle bus to the Riverdale station. It's a few minutes ride to the station, then the ride on Metro-North to Grand Central. Definitely not an hour and three minutes. lol

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 08-20-2022 at 10:52 AM..

Old 08-20-2022, 11:02 AM

Quote:
I know people who live in Riverdale and drive to work on the Upper West Side. It's 15-20 minutes for them. They don't live in North Riverdale, but still. Why would anyone take the Bx7 all the way to Marble Hill when there is a Riverdale Metro-North station? I believe that complex also provides their own shuttle bus to the Riverdale station. It's a few minutes ride to the station, then the ride on Metro-North to Grand Central. Definitely not an hour and three minutes. lol
Do any buses go to the Riverdale Metro-North station? Its a good thing the complex provides a shuttle.

Old 08-20-2022, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Do any buses go to the Riverdale Metro-North station? Its a good thing the complex provides a shuttle.
Yes, there is a shuttle bus the links directly with the train.

P.S. Google Maps is the worst thing to use for any directions. lol

Old 08-20-2022, 01:03 PM

9,136 posts, read 6,196,866 times
MetroNorth is 34-36 minutes from Riverdale station to GCT.

There is a train that leaves Riverdale station at 7:41 AM and arrives at GCT at 8:16 AM.

Old 08-20-2022, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Exactly. When I lived in Riverdale, I sometimes took the Express Bus into mid-town and sometimes I drove.

Wasn't too bad at all.
I live in a similar area. You don't move to a place like Riverdale for subway access. lol You move there for a more quieter setting. Most people in such places either drive, take the express bus or Metro-North if time is really valuable to them, as they have a good income and can afford it. I do the same thing where I live. We have express buses and commuter rail service. I take those or I drive. Not a big deal and much better compared to living in Manhattan. More space, cleaner, quieter, greener, etc.

Old 08-20-2022, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Yes, there is a shuttle bus the links directly with the train.

P.S. Google Maps is the worst thing to use for any directions. lol
I was asking about MTA buses. I wasn't clear in asking. Do any MTA buses go to Riverdale Metro-North station?

Old 08-20-2022, 01:37 PM

Quote:
I was asking about MTA buses. I wasn't clear in asking. Do any MTA buses go to Riverdale Metro-North station?
I said there is a shuttle bus that shuttles people directly to the stations - I'm not talking about Skyview's shuttle bus. This is a shuttle bus affiliated with Metro-North - The Hudson Raillink shuttle. There are two stations in Riverdale - The Riverdale Metro-North station for North Riverdale, and the second one is the Spuyten Duyvil station. The shuttle buses run throughout Riverdale and drop commuters right at the stations. They are timed to meet up right with the trains, so there would be no reason to take any City bus like the Bx7, which doesn't serve the stations. I don't believe any City bus does, as the stations are right by the Hudson River. The cost is the same as the City bus. $2.75.

Old 08-20-2022, 03:56 PM

Quote:
I said there is a shuttle bus that shuttles people directly to the stations - I'm not talking about Skyview's shuttle bus. This is a shuttle bus affiliated with Metro-North - The Hudson Raillink shuttle. There are two stations in Riverdale - The Riverdale Metro-North station for North Riverdale, and the second one is the Spuyten Duyvil station. The shuttle buses run throughout Riverdale and drop commuters right at the stations. They are timed to meet up right with the trains, so there would be no reason to take any City bus like the Bx7, which doesn't serve the stations. I don't believe any City bus does, as the stations are right by the Hudson River. The cost is the same as the City bus. $2.75.
Thanks for the info!

Old 08-20-2022, 04:14 PM

9,136 posts, read 6,196,866 times
Quote:

Here is the link to the website showing the map and schedule of the Rail Link connection to the Riverdale stations.

MNR Raillink
http://web.mta.info/mnr/html/raillin...020%202021.pdf

As an example, you can leave Arlington Ave and 259th Street at 7:27 AM and be at GCT at 8:13 AM.

Sounds like an excellent commute to midtown Manhattan and all those high paying jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City