Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2022, 02:02 PM

66 posts, read 85,129 times

Advertisements

We are seriously considering buying an apartment in Skyview coop in the Bronx - North Riverdale.

Any thoughts anyone has on this apartment complex would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2022, 02:58 PM

621 posts, read 240,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boleex View Post
We are seriously considering buying an apartment in Skyview coop in the Bronx - North Riverdale.

Any thoughts anyone has on this apartment complex would be much appreciated!
My wife and I were there last summer looking to buy. Almost closed on a 4BR but there was some inside shenanigan going on with a contingent buyer who already put in an offer through a separate investment vehicle in even though his coop wasn't sold. Anyhow, they have a nice pool area with a playground. The buildings and area seems clean and well-kept. But Skyview is a a huge area. And it's far from Manhattan if that's where you work. I think the building provides shuttle service to the nearby Metro North station. And the maintenance is very high given the playground, pool, shuttle service, and laundry amenities.

Good luck with your decision and purchase.

Old 06-23-2022, 03:25 PM

66 posts, read 85,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownpine View Post
My wife and I were there last summer looking to buy. Almost closed on a 4BR but there was some inside shenanigan going on with a contingent buyer who already put in an offer through a separate investment vehicle in even though his coop wasn't sold. Anyhow, they have a nice pool area with a playground. The buildings and area seems clean and well-kept. But Skyview is a a huge area. And it's far from Manhattan if that's where you work. I think the building provides shuttle service to the nearby Metro North station. And the maintenance is very high given the playground, pool, shuttle service, and laundry amenities.

Thank you!

Old 06-24-2022, 06:39 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,063,795 times
I have two friends who bought in decades ago (Large one bedroom penultimate floor for $125,000) but complained about the ever increasing maintenance bills. I visited often and liked the place a lot, but for the horrendous trip from Jersey City. That PATH- subway- bus ride and hill climb is torture. They were in 5800 Arlington.

They bought a fixer upper house in Jeffersonville, NY, and sold their apartment for $325K after a huge renovation, which struck me as NUTS. And then started a near gut rehab of their farmhouse. Gluttons for punishment but lovable guys. They were the best men at our marriage.

I have not been to Skyview in at least 10 years but I assume the place is still very nice. The mountaintop location is SUBLIME if you don't have to climb from the bus.

Last edited by Kefir King; 06-24-2022 at 06:50 AM..

Old 06-24-2022, 07:23 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,285,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownpine View Post

Define far? It's maybe 40 minutes from Grand Central with Metro-North. If you drive to Manhattan, depending on where one works, you can be in the office in 20-30 minutes.

Old 06-24-2022, 07:28 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,258,719 times
It's all about that maintenance charge. If it's high, you're flushing money down the drain when you could buy a more expensive property in a more valuable neighborhood with lower non-mortgage carrying costs.

Instead of paying $1,000 extra for maintenance why not just put that toward a mortgage payment for a more valuable (long term) property?

Old 06-24-2022, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Define far? It's maybe 40 minutes from Grand Central with Metro-North. If you drive to Manhattan, depending on where one works, you can be in the office in 20-30 minutes.

Define far? See your bolded text. Why is someone moving to the Bronx to take Metro-North south into the city? I would think people live in the boroughs so they can take mass transit.

And who's DRIVING in Manhattan for work? If you have that kind of money for tolls and parking, you're probably not living at the Skyview.

Old 06-25-2022, 07:07 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,063,795 times
Quote:
If you drive to Manhattan, depending on where one works, you can be in the office in 20-30 minutes.
But if you take the Bus (Bx7 or Bx10) it will take you that 20-30 minutes just to get to the Subway...STILL IN RIVERDALE.

Yes, I am sure you can take 2 Ubers a day and go door to door quickly IF you are a CEO or CFO of a substantial company. Or you can simply call for your driver.
Hey, what about helicopter service; I imagine that is quick as can be, at least until the MTA gets wormholes installed.

Old 06-25-2022, 09:13 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,285,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
But if you take the Bus (Bx7 or Bx10) it will take you that 20-30 minutes just to get to the Subway...STILL IN RIVERDALE.

Yes, I am sure you can take 2 Ubers a day and go door to door quickly IF you are a CEO or CFO of a substantial company. Or you can simply call for your driver.
Hey, what about helicopter service; I imagine that is quick as can be, at least until the MTA gets wormholes installed.
Unlike you, people aren't so frugal. The subway is not in Riverdale. It's in Kingsbridge if you are taking those City buses to reach the 1 train. Lots of people drive, take Metro-North or the express bus, as they are faster. I know an individual who works on the Upper West Side. He is not a CEO or CFO. He drives from Riverdale. It's a 15 minute ride. Manhattan is just across the Henry Hudson Bridge. Comical how dramatic some people are.

Old 06-25-2022, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Unlike you, people aren't so frugal. The subway is not in Riverdale. It's in Kingsbridge if you are taking those City buses to reach the 1 train. Lots of people drive, take Metro-North or the express bus, as they are faster. I know an individual who works on the Upper West Side. He is not a CEO or CFO. He drives from Riverdale. It's a 15 minute ride. Manhattan is just across the Henry Hudson Bridge. Comical how dramatic some people are.

Dude, you're totally wrong on this one. Bx7 or Bx10 to Riverdale is your own option into Manhattan using mass transit. Go to Google Maps and plug in one of the Skyview addresses and see what Maps tells you. Because you "know" one person who drives to the Upper West, EVERYBODY drives and takes Metro-North?

And it's not being frugal...it's about being rational. Why would someone pay to take a bus to Metro-North, pay the rail ticket ($265/mo), then pay another $2.75 ($127/mo) for the subway? That's $392/mo versus $127/mo. Who overpays for transportation when they don't have to?

If you have THAT kind of money to pay for transportation, why would you live there? If you work in Riverdale or Upstate (or from home), I think Skyview can be quite nice. Otherwise, it's too far, IMO. I would think the OP is rational enough to know that commuting from SkyView to the city will be either a very long or very expensive consideration on top of purchasing a coop there which are not cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City