Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 04:28 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,369,373 times

Advertisements

^^

no necessarily those who given up trying but those who are no longer collecting benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 04:34 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
I really miss the NYC transit system after leaving Manhattan in 1984 and now living in Raleigh, NC.

The gas and heating oil situation may cause massive hurt to the seniors and lower middle class especially in suburbs and rural areas.

This will be a national tragedy if we don't get off foreign oil.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:39 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj2007 View Post
See I'm the total opposite. I prefer public transit especially in New York. I hate driving with all that traffic and I can just sit on the subway and not have to worry. I think that gas prices will go down after the election and whenever we pull out of the war. We can only hope.

Well, I'd rather take the subway into Manhattan, but that's the only place I'd prefer taking mass transit. I'd much rather drive to eastern Queens (I live in western Queens) in 15 minutes, than take a bus and 2 subways and have it take nearly an hour or more, depending where I would be going. I really meant I'd rather be driving on Long Island, but in general I'd rather be driving...but for now I'll take public transit with the gas prices lol

Old 05-26-2008, 08:12 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,751 times
I'll admit it, I'm completely smug about not having to pay to fill a car's gas tank. Yes, we have to pay for higher food costs, but so does everyone else. The other night, the local news did a sob story on gas prices and interviewed some guy at the pumps paying $100 to fill-up his Escalade. He commented that he wouldn't have enough money to go down to the Shore and I laughed at him. We took the train to get away this weekend and had a fabulous time.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:26 PM

508 posts, read 2,119,888 times
Even if you don't drive. The gas prices still affect us in other ways. Almost everything else has gone up in price including groceries, paper goods etc. Gas price hikes affect everyone, not just drivers.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:02 PM

922 posts, read 3,861,784 times
Quote:
Well, I'd rather take the subway into Manhattan, but that's the only place I'd prefer taking mass transit. I'd much rather drive to eastern Queens (I live in western Queens) in 15 minutes, than take a bus and 2 subways and have it take nearly an hour or more, depending where I would be going.
Ditto here in Southern Brooklyn. Mass transit is just isn't very easy everywhere in the city outside of the 9-5 commuting times. And driving is surprisingly easy, especially on weekends. Even when we go notorious "parking hells" like Park Slope or Brooklyn Heights, and even Manhattan (on a Sunday) - driving is still easier, and you can usually find metered parking - and usually after 7PM and on Sundays, it's free.

Even so, we only use about one tank of gas per month, so the price of gas does not affect us that much.

The problem with traffic is that it is unpredictable. You never know where and when its going to happen. I've breezed through the outbound Midtown Tunnel at 5:30 PM on a weekday, but have hit an hour long delay getting into the Battery Tunnel -- at Midnight on a Tuesday.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:49 AM

757 posts, read 3,363,589 times
It'll be interesting to see where the 2008 inflation bar ends up. It's amazing to see the graphic representation. I always knew that the '90s to a few months ago were a time of relatively flat inflation (esp. after having lived through Ford-Carter stagflation). It frightens me, because it suggests that this cycle will be pretty steep.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:59 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,967,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post
I'll admit it, I'm completely smug about not having to pay to fill a car's gas tank. Yes, we have to pay for higher food costs, but so does everyone else. The other night, the local news did a sob story on gas prices and interviewed some guy at the pumps paying $100 to fill-up his Escalade. He commented that he wouldn't have enough money to go down to the Shore and I laughed at him. We took the train to get away this weekend and had a fabulous time.
when you say we, how many is that? for my family of 4 to visit NYC via public transport would cost well over $60, even after factoring in the costs of gas and tolls it is still less costly to drive

Old 05-27-2008, 07:19 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstaterInBklyn View Post
Even when we go notorious "parking hells" like Park Slope or Brooklyn Heights, and even Manhattan (on a Sunday) - driving is still easier, and you can usually find metered parking - and usually after 7PM and on Sundays, it's free.

I play ice hockey at Chelsea Piers in Manhattan every Sunday afternoon. I would HATE lugging my equipment (I'm a 100 lb girl lol. I'm strong, but not strong enough to life that equipment that long) on a subway and 2 buses to the rink. That would also take over an hour on a Sunday. My fiance drives me instead. We take the 59th st bridge so we don't pay a toll, and then have no problem parking around 23rd St & 10th Ave. There's tons of spots around there. I'd much rather do that than take the subway. That's just one example of why driving is better to me. That's just me though.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:33 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,369,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbro View Post
It'll be interesting to see where the 2008 inflation bar ends up. It's amazing to see the graphic representation. I always knew that the '90s to a few months ago were a time of relatively flat inflation (esp. after having lived through Ford-Carter stagflation). It frightens me, because it suggests that this cycle will be pretty steep.
You better put on your anti stagflation armor cause its here again. This year is just a warm up lap. Next year is going to be the real gut kicker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: